• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock steel wheels on LUBR

JTex_4

What was the width on the stock steel wheels? I just picked up some stock ford wheels for 30$ And noticed they are a little over 6 1/2” wide.?? Anyone running stock Steelies with 31x10.50s on their LUBR?? Let’s see your pics! My plan is to paint them and slap some hubcaps on them but wasn’t sure about width and how the tires would tuck under my rear fenders.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 52

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Stock wheels were 5.5" wide. 10.50's are a little too wide to run on a stock steel wheel. How are you measuring the wheel width? The correct way to measure them is inside bead to inside bead.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, X2 on 15 x 5.5 rims. As mentioned, the bigger tire should be on a wider rim. Guys have said the tire shops won't even mount 31s on the stock rim.
I've had stock rims and 31 x 10.5 forever with no problem. I go on hunting trails, beach driving, snow plowing, everything but hard core stuff. We air down to about 15 psi. for off road.
I use to seriously overload the bed.
The old pic has a 2 1/2" lift. The new pics it is 3 1/2"
See my garage and gallery for pics.
If that is what you want, go for it.
Good luck

OP
OP
JTex_4

JTex_4

Ok, yes, they are 5.5” inside to inside. Thanks guys!

OP
OP
JTex_4

JTex_4

Good looking ride B RON CO! I’m thinking I’ll end up with 2.5” suspension and 1” body lift. So pretty much your same exact stance. Mine will also end up blue, my original paint was grabber blue.

fishinman78

Contributor
31 x 10.50 x 15 on stock 5.5 steel wheels.

2 1/2" lift 1" body

8lbs at the dunes all weekend with no problem

Attachments

• 20180818_164948.jpg
    20180818_164948.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 242
OP
OP
JTex_4

JTex_4

Very nice mlarison.
Fishinman78, did you have to do anything with steering/brake lines with your suspension setup?

ptwist

Really great post. Im planing on doing the same thing once my build gets up and going. It came with a set of fake bead lockers that are much deeper than the stock wheels but im worried that they will rub with much steering angle. Did you guys paint your stock wheels or powder coat them?

fishinman78

Contributor
Very nice mlarison.
Fishinman78, did you have to do anything with steering/brake lines with your suspension setup?

I did install a drop pitman arm and an adjustable track bar. I also converted to the three piece tie rod setup from the inverted Y.

I installed all new brake lines as part of my build so I just put on the extended braided lines. The rest of the kit I bought from Tom's Bronco Parts which I believe is made by inline tubing.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I have a set of 33-10.50s on a set of 15x6s. Look closely at the outside lip and you might see the rim size stamped. Mine says “15x6” facing outward.

JBrez

Loc.
Mohrsville, PA
Thinking of changing up the look a little by adding a set of stock steelies!

Attachments

• IMG_5342.jpg
    IMG_5342.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 60

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...It came with a set of fake bead lockers that are much deeper than the stock wheels but im worried that they will rub with much steering angle.

That type of wheel is typically wider, but no generalities on offset/backspace or overall width. Just that they're usually wider than stock.
Only ways I know of to see if it's going to fit or rub is to either measure them, or actually try them on for size.
For the first, measure between the beads as was described above to get the rim width. Then place a straight-edge on the inner beads then use a tape measure from the mounting flange (around the lug holes) to the inside of the straight edge.

If the wheels are wider than 8" then you'll probably rub even the skinniest tires (which would not work on that wide of a wheel anyway). If they're 8" or less, then look to the backspace numbers you just measured. Anything less than 4" on an 8" wide wheel will likely rub with a 10.50 tire.
If the wheel is a 7" wide model, you can get away with between 3.5 and 4 inches I believe.

If the tires are particularly wide, or have an aggressive side lug design, you may have to try them on for size even with the wheel measurements in hand. Just too many variables to know for sure with all tires.

Did you guys paint your stock wheels or powder coat them?

Can't say for them, but I think most go to the trouble and expense to powder coat. Though there have been more and more lately that are having their trucks painted anyway, with many of them opting to have the painter do the wheels too while it's in the shop.
A good auto paint will work great for years. A decent rattle can job will only last a short time (maybe 1 to 2 years?) but is also easy to touch up too.
Mine are powder coated something close to Ford's Wimbledon White. They're aftermarket 7" wide steel wheels from Wheel Vintiques.

Paul

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Can't say for them, but I think most go to the trouble and expense to powder coat. Though there have been more and more lately that are having their trucks painted anyway, with many of them opting to have the painter do the wheels too while it's in the shop.
A good auto paint will work great for years. A decent rattle can job will only last a short time (maybe 1 to 2 years?) but is also easy to touch up too.
Mine are powder coated something close to Ford's Wimbledon White. They're aftermarket 7" wide steel wheels from Wheel Vintiques.

Paul

X2 I would powder coat if at all possible, especially if you'll be running hubcaps, taking them on/off will take spray paint right off!

Here are a couple pics of my 66 rustbucket, with a bonus cut-away shot! ;D i think the lighter weight of the 170 allows the front end to sit a bit higher. it has a JBG 2.5 superflex SL and 1" BL, 31x10.50 on 5.5 stock steelies

Attachments

• Bronco7.jpg
    Bronco7.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Topless4.jpg
    Topless4.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 76
  • fanRight.jpg
    fanRight.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 54