• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stop heiming and start hauling"steering linkage"

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
Re:Stop heiming and start hauling

as soon as I save up the cash I am going to install the performance unlimited trailproof setup, If i had a lift I would do the rockproof knuckle over!!!!!! ;)

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Re:Stop heiming and start hauling

I don't have that setup on mine, but I have seen it on other Broncos, looks really clean and I've heard that it functions well. There was a posting a while back about this same subject. Basically what it boiled down to was that it isn't DOT approved because if it (the joint) fails, then you lose your steering (the joint can pop apart); whereas in the stock setup, or something DOT, you will not lose your steering, it will just get really sloppy. Either one is suitable, it wont really feel different on the street, it just helps in the flexing department. However, a lot of people were saying "if it isn't broken, why fix it?" Mostly because they hadn't heard of anyone having problems with the stock or F150 setup, flex-wise. I have the 78/79 Bronco tie rod on mine (with tie-rod over conversion), and the shafts are as thick as any that I have seen on any pickup truck, and they are solid metal. So, for 400 some-odd dollars, I'd say that it isn't worth it. You can find equal or better alternatives out there, for less money, and is still DOT. <br>-Eric

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
Its the coolness factor. I got it on mine. The way mine bent and went right back into place the other day I dont think any stock set-up would have lasted at all.

OP
OP

77beast

Loc.
Point Pleasant, New Jersey
[quote author=MXPAZ link=board=5;threadid=9474;start=0#67909 date=1032900896]<br>Its the coolness factor. I got it on mine. The way mine bent and went right back into place the other day I dont think any stock set-up would have lasted at all.<br>[/quote]<br>Are you using it for on and off road

OP
OP

77beast

Loc.
[quote author=MXPAZ link=board=5;threadid=9474;start=0#67924 date=1032902699]<br>yep<br>[/quote]That was yep for off road only or yep for on road only...lol<br><br>And have you ever had a end come off

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
Man its held on with 3/4 inch bolts, it aint coming off. they are mostly offroad. I bought them from Inphobic and he used the for on and off road. He put full width axles in his and bought another set for the full width so they must be pretty good.

OP
OP

77beast

Loc.
I have been checking the setup out, they look like they would take on hell of a beat'n. They look like they would hold together alot better than stock, but was doing some reading on standard ball joints and the heim joist they were saying that if the ball failed it would be loose but stay together and the heim would just come apart.<br><br><br>

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
I run mine on and off road and have been doing so for several years without failure . If you are worried that the heim joint may separate and leave you without any steering , you can install safety devices to assure that the steering won't be lost should the "ball" leave the joint . You can add oversized washers to the equasion , but they must be larger than the ball diameter . I have seen several variations on this theme but none of them protect you if the heim should happen to break instead of the ball popping out . I wouldn't worry too much about it until you see a bunch of posts saying something about millions of people being killed by faulty heims . ;D ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP

77beast

Loc.
[quote author=howiebilt link=board=5;threadid=9474;start=0#67963 date=1032912681]<br>I run mine on and off road and have been doing so for several years without failure . If you are worried that the heim joint may separate and leave you without any steering , you can install safety devices to assure that the steering won't be lost should the "ball" leave the joint . You can add oversized washers to the equasion , but they must be larger than the ball diameter . I have seen several variations on this theme but none of them protect you if the heim should happen to break instead of the ball popping out . I wouldn't worry too much about it until you see a bunch of posts saying something about millions of people being killed by faulty heims . ;D ;D ;D ;D <br>[/quote]Howie have you ever had to replace you ends in the past 7 years and if so what failed. What size ends are you running....<br><br><br>Thanks<br><br>Joe<br>

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
NO , I haven't had to do anything except spray them with some WD40 once in a while ( on dusty days they tend to squeek a little ). I use the 3/4" X 3/4" with grade 8 fine thread bolts and nylock nuts . All of mine are right hand threads . I can't see having to carry extra L and R heims and it's not that tough to adjust my steering . I used 1 1/8th OD X 11/16ths ID chromoly DOM tubing . This allows for the ends to be tapped for 3/4 x 16 threads with no problems . A 20 ft. piece costs around $150 , and you can make at least a couple sets so find someone to go halves with ya and save some dough !

hackyrat

I have had the trail proof set up for about 6 months. I use 99% on highway with no issues. I did have a stock setup come apart on me. Luckily I was turning around. The stock ball joint fell apart and I had to pop it back together with a hydraulic jack and hammer then wire into place and drive real slow home. I keep an eye on the new setup just in case but no problems.

OP
OP

77beast

Loc.
I was checking out on Wild Horses a 3 way adjustable..<br>or using the heim joints..<br><br>You know I have never put this much thought into doing anything on my bronco and I've had it for 23 years, its just something about drilling out the knucles.

hackyrat

If you do drill the knuckles, take them off and put them in a drill press where you can fasten it down. You want the holes drilled as perfect as you can. Another thing to think about is wheel clearance. I have between 1/8" and almost 1/4" clearance between wheel and heim joint. :eek: I spent all evening at the shop doing the install and as it was getting late I quickly estimated the toe in so I could drive the 2 miles home. Wow what a scary ride. At home the next day I aligned it all and it works fine. One reason I went this way is my knuckles were not true anymore so drilling was not as big an issue. You sound a bit like me. I have had this rig for 15 years also and just in the last couple years have been making upgrades and having fun doing it. ;D

OP
OP

77beast

Loc.
[quote author=hackyrat link=board=5;threadid=9474;start=15#68648 date=1033094707]<br>If you do drill the knuckles, take them off and put them in a drill press where you can fasten it down. You want the holes drilled as perfect as you can. Another thing to think about is wheel clearance. I have between 1/8" and almost 1/4" clearance between wheel and heim joint. :eek: I spent all evening at the shop doing the install and as it was getting late I quickly estimated the toe in so I could drive the 2 miles home. Wow what a scary ride. At home the next day I aligned it all and it works fine. One reason I went this way is my knuckles were not true anymore so drilling was not as big an issue. You sound a bit like me. I have had this rig for 15 years also and just in the last couple years have been making upgrades and having fun doing it. ;D<br>[/quote]How long have you had the heim joints, and is yours mainly on road use..