• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Storing an uncompleted engine

trophybass

Loc.
Plant City, Florida
What do i need to do to my engine until i complete it? I have the heads on, valve covers, intake, carb, headers and the oil pan. Should i just put some spaprk plugs in it and call it good? It has been sitting wrapped in plastic for 6-8 months but it may be a few more before pull my current motor so that i can swap the front dress over and then install the new one. What would be best for me to do, None of the above listed parts are permanently bolted on they are just loosely bolted on so that i could free up some space. Thanks, Alex

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
summit makes an engine bag that is good have to be careful about wrapping it to tight depending on your climate you cause condensation i have seen them set in a shop for years with no problems others have rusted up

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Wrap it in a trashbag and leave it on the engine stand. Having everything loosly bolted together is a great way to keep from loosing stuff. Just make sure that everything has a coat of oil or paint on it to ward off rust.

OP
OP
trophybass

trophybass

Loc.
Plant City, Florida
I have it wrapped in a plastic bag now and it was freshly painted before i set all the goodies on it so i guess i'm doing good so far, should i put some plugs in it or am i OK the way it is? Thanks.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
go ahead and put some plugs in it. Tape up the intake and exhaust ports too.

NoJoe

Loc.
san jacinto,ca.
As was said, oil it ,install plugs, tape intake,exhaust and any hole you can find but be careful covering with plastic or you will have a rusty everything, who cares if it gets dusty on the outside? a good woman can dust it before you install it ( just kidding). Joe.;D

bax

Contributor
Old Member
spray where you have bare metal and dont want rust.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p If it is going to be stored for a wile year or so back off all the valve springs put a good shot of oil in each cly. cover the top of the carb. or intake put a rag in the end of the header's and you should be good.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

brian72

Early Bronco Student
come on - let's all meet at alex's and install the motor and not worry about storage...

OP
OP
trophybass

trophybass

Loc.
Plant City, Florida
Now that sounds good, we need to spray the liner or paint the engine compartment though. You guys let me know when and i'll get the stuff. See ya.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I am good for that. How about next weekend?

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i think the summit engine bags are silicone treated but not sure to help prevent rust but taping is just as good as bag like was said above

BroncoMarc

Loc.
BroncOhio
Use some fogging oil. That stuff is great for keeping anything from rusting. Spray it wherever you can get it.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
I am good for that. How about next weekend?

I will be at disney that weekend.

Things to do:
1 - pull old engine
2 - degrease and clean compartment
3 - dry
4 - spray liner in
5 - dry
6 - install new engine

missing anything - 1-5 before bax comes up to install engine.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I will be at disney that weekend.

Things to do:
1 - pull old engine
2 - degrease and clean compartment
3 - dry
4 - spray liner in
5 - dry
6 - install new engine

missing anything - 1-5 before bax comes up to install engine.

I am game but it sounds like we need to go ahead and build the motor before we put it in. So you guys get 1-5 done and I will assemble the motor while watching you all work. Then I will do 6. Sounds like fun. Brian, you have never been to Disney right?

Bax

OP
OP
trophybass

trophybass

Loc.
Plant City, Florida
You guys let me know when and i'll get whatever i can together(i'm sure a parts store run will be inevitabe but....)I'll get some eats and drinks of your choice. My spray in liner just arrived today so i'm anxious to spray it. It was intended for the interior but this batch can go in the hole, and i'll order more to do the tub and inside roof. Keep me posted on the progress of my install:)

OP
OP
trophybass

trophybass

Loc.
Plant City, Florida
I am game but it sounds like we need to go ahead and build the motor before we put it in. So you guys get 1-5 done and I will assemble the motor while watching you all work. Then I will do 6. Sounds like fun. Brian, you have never been to Disney right?

Bax

If i am correct all thats left is for the oil pump & pan to be installed, water pump and timing gears and chain, then swap all of the pulleys and accesories. Bax pm me your # again. See ya, Alex

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Brian, you have never been to Disney right?
Bax

yes I have been to disney - but our annual passes run out at the end of the month and the wife wanted to go one last time...