• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Street legal without doors?

Docmace

Loc.
Lafayette, LA
I live in Louisiana and recently took the doors off of my '73. I was told by someone, granted he's a big know-it-all. that it was not legal in LA to drive without doors. I see little baby Jeeps riding around all the time without doors. Does anyone on here know the rules for LA.? Thanks

BlackCat4

Loc.
Beevile TX
Move to TX ur good to go.lol... sorry not sure but like u sead ive seen heeps without doors worst thing thay can do is give u a ticket about $150.00

70HalfCab

Loc.
Mandeville, LA
I live in Louisiana and recently took the doors off of my '73. I was told by someone, granted he's a big know-it-all. that it was not legal in LA to drive without doors. I see little baby Jeeps riding around all the time without doors. Does anyone on here know the rules for LA.? Thanks
There is nothing in LA title 32 (vehicle & traffic code) that requires doors on a vehicle. As long as you have a drivers side mirror there is nothing illegal about no doors.

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
Hmmm, so all the motorcyles there install doors on them to be in compliance with the law?? Never heard about doors being required on a motor vehicle.

Slim

Loc.
Costa Mesa
Not sure how or if this helps but if you look at a door frame on a jeep it has a 3-5" lip around the bottom portion of the door jamb that would catch debris such as bottles or other things on the floorboards from rollng out while driving/turning. This may have something to do with jeeps not being illegal. I have herd this before in Calif but not 100% sure.

fuzzy2133

Loc.
San Jose, CA
I have also herd that in CA it is only legal if the vehicle came off the assembly line with removable doors. However I could not find it in the vehicle codes.

sstclair

I don't remember where I heard it but I was told here in Utah we also have to have doors except that the Bronco came stock in the roadster model with just the door inserts so if they have inserts it works. I imagine they could stick me for owning one plated as a 76 with no markers or doors on my 67 body.