• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Strg column... 30" is what I need...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I believe a stock EB column is 32". I want to have the strg wheel appr 1" closer to the firewall and I'm putting in a quick release wheel.

This part isn't the issue... what I'm wondering is who has a REALLY GOOD tilt column (not an auto) that is as dependable as OE but isn't a thousand bucks??

I figure most are China made, not all Ididit's are good...

Pro's and con's of 2 1/4" vrs 2" tube dia.

I figure a 29-30" column, 2" quick release coupler, little bit flatter strg wheel...

Also, what are the pro's and con's of the different quick release hubs? There is a variety to choose from.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I did a Flaming River and really like it. I had to learn the hard lesson about the cheap columns, bought one and 3 months later bought the Flaming River one. If I remember right it was still $750ish, did manual shift column with ignition, can't reach the dash with belts on so ignition on the column was a good compromise. I did a 2-1/4 tube, it fits an off the shelf cover for the dash. I used an exhaust clamp to retain it to the factory column bracket in the dash.

As for quick release hubs get a splined one with a spring loaded ring to remove, much less issues with dirt and less play. Like this one, there are cheaper ones but they are lesser quality as well.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Sweet-Mfg-801-70004-Aluminum-Quick-Release-Hub-3-4-Inch-Sleeve,24196.html?sku=91032278&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI94eki_iv7gIVA9bACh1IOgVCEAQYASABEgJJ1fD_BwE

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I wasn't aware the tilt columns had issues? What are the problems that can occur?

I have one in my bronco and I think it was made by flaming river but really don't recall as it's been awhile.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I wasn't aware the tilt columns had issues? What are the problems that can occur?

I have one in my bronco and I think it was made by flaming river but really don't recall as it's been awhile.

the chinese columns suck, if someone says they don't, they don't drive their truck much. Flaming River and Ididit are the best out there, still not perfect but definitely livable.

Also if you have a column with GM turn signal switch and you have problems with it, do not go to the local parts store and get a switch, all you will do is get a lot of practice changing it. Go online and find an AC Delco switch and never look back.