• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pwr Strg pump output...which pump has the MOST gpm/psi?

68ford

Bronco Guru
That's what I was thinking. Mine definitely shoots horizontal and hits the other side. It also aireates a little. Used to have a plastic clear vertical sight tube and you could see some really small bubbles. Mostly towards the top.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Just bumping this thread back again as I noticed that with my new 460SBF engine and as its lopeing along at 750 rpm that I have my "hard to turn only at idle" issue" again. I could increase the idle speed back up but dang-I'm loving the lopey idle that I used to run in all my solid lifter camshaft days...

68Ford- you still happy with the mods you did or did you go back to .188" on the outlet?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How high do you rev the engine and how often? Just wondering if a smaller pulley on the pump would speed up the pump enough to overcome the low idle pressure/flow?
Or have you already discussed that in this thread? Didn't re-read back to the beginning.

Paul

68ford

Bronco Guru
Just bumping this thread back again as I noticed that with my new 460SBF engine and as its lopeing along at 750 rpm that I have my "hard to turn only at idle" issue" again. I could increase the idle speed back up but dang-I'm loving the lopey idle that I used to run in all my solid lifter camshaft days...

68Ford- you still happy with the mods you did or did you go back to .188" on the outlet?

I've been happy, fluid gets warm without a cooler but since my system holds a gallon and a half, it's fine. After about a 1.5 hour drive at roughly 3200 to 3400 RPM, the pump does make a little whine, but no issues so far. I've been running Allison Transynd synthetic ATF, it's good to 275 to 300 degrees I believe. If I had an OD trans, you would likely say the system is totally normal.

68ford

Bronco Guru
Been noticing a lot of the trophy truck guys are now running a smaller pulley for more flow at lower engine speeds along with a "dump to sump" pressure relief valve.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yes, I did drop to a lower pulley size (23 percent) upon PSC's recommendation (and they gave me the wrong pulley size almost a decade ago) :(.

Normally in sand and snow in the right conditions, I'll be at the rev limiter. Fun on the street too but I'm still stuck in FWD till I finish the 14 bolt so I'm behaving...

This pump is designed for high rpm's so I'm ok there. I will call them again and ask if there any other options besides pretending I'm one of the big boys and run another pump so each is dedicated to an individual task. One for PS and one for HB brakes.

Wish it wasn't such a hassle to just bypass the hydroboost and drive around for a day and see if the HB is the restrictor or possibly the spool valve in the ps box.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
This may warrant a separate thread but you guys seem to be genius level on power steering so I’ll ask here first.......

I have a stock 4 turn box that was recently rebuilt, a new Explorer type pump (it’s actually the one Viperwolf1 came up with - I don’t know the application details), and Astro hydroboost. I run a large reservoir (1/2 gallon of fluid in system).

My system is noisy as hell, I can hear it above my leaky headers and yeah, I could turn the radio up or “get used to it” but I would rather solve it.

I recently replaced the fluid with AC Delco brand as recommended by a friend, no improvement.

Any advice ?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Seems to me that if the pump is built for high rpm that it's output at low RPM isn't going to be what it could be if it were built for low rpm. I don't know, I'm just guessing at that. Runs true in other systems, seems reasonable here too. So maybe what you need is a "medium rpm" pump? One that works the by-pass pretty hard when WOT, but also puts out almost enough at idle. ;D
The external by-pass sounds interesting, particularly if it can be had with a variable size metering orifice.

In my fairly limited experience a noisy PS system is either a pump about to go TU or there's air in the fluid. If it's air, it may not be because you didn't/couldn't bleed all of it out. It could be because the system cavitates somewhere and entrains air in the fluid. One of the particulars that Tom Lee was very insistent on when we were building Rod's YJ From Hell (KA smog legal '99 LS1/4L60E/D300 in a YJ w/ Warn linkage/coil-over kit done in ~'04) was that we use formed 90° hose ends where we couldn't go straight in. Machined 90° adapter fittings were very much verboten. Same for machined 90° hose ends. This was for all hoses, high and low pressure.
Another issue could be the suction line btwn the pump and the reservoir. If you have ANY restriction in flow there it will be very much like vapor lock in the suction side of a fuel system. It will cavitate and pull air into the fluid. Suction hose size and length both are important, as is how much hydrostatic head the reservoir puts on the pump. If it can't put much head on the pump then the hose needs to be large and short. The stock Exploder lay-out is a good example of a low head reservoir.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
In my fairly limited experience a noisy PS system is either a pump about to go TU or there's air in the fluid. If it's air, it may not be because you didn't/couldn't bleed all of it out. It could be because the system cavitates somewhere and entrains air in the fluid. One of the particulars that Tom Lee was very insistent on when we were building Rod's YJ From Hell (KA smog legal '99 LS1/4L60E/D300 in a YJ w/ Warn linkage/coil-over kit done in ~'04) was that we use formed 90° hose ends where we couldn't go straight in. Machined 90° adapter fittings were very much verboten. Same for machined 90° hose ends. This was for all hoses, high and low pressure.
Another issue could be the suction line btwn the pump and the reservoir. If you have ANY restriction in flow there it will be very much like vapor lock in the suction side of a fuel system. It will cavitate and pull air into the fluid. Suction hose size and length both are important, as is how much hydrostatic head the reservoir puts on the pump. If it can't put much head on the pump then the hose needs to be large and short. The stock Exploder lay-out is a good example of a low head reservoir.

I will re-up my contributor status so I can post pics of my configuration. I have a sweeping 90* fitting into the pump itself. I am using the rectangular reservoir out of the F250 6.0 which has a really large fitting for the feed line back to the pump. Having said that, my hose has a bit of a kink in it and has a slight incline up to the pump inlet. I realize this is less than optimal for flow......I am researching other reservoirs so I can get the feed line feeding down to the pump.

Maybe that will help with the noise.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
What TS said about ps pump noise...

Also, a ps pump can not draw fluid uphill and work properly. Reconfigure your reservoir or pump so there's no kink AND the reservoir outlet is above the pump inlet. "Pump 101".

There's another ps thread going on and guys are talking about how their reservoir mounted on the firewall "works just fine" etc... :( just do it the way the guys who make the system tell ya to do it!!!

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
What TS said about ps pump noise...

Also, a ps pump can not draw fluid uphill and work properly. Reconfigure your reservoir or pump so there's no kink AND the reservoir outlet is above the pump inlet. "Pump 101".

There's another ps thread going on and guys are talking about how their reservoir mounted on the firewall "works just fine" etc... :( just do it the way the guys who make the system tell ya to do it!!!

I understand "Pump 101"...…..

I had my reservoir mounted on the firewall at some point. It was ok for street use as it was higher than the pump inlet but as soon as you got the front end up it would suck air so I moved it back to the explorer bracket.