• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stripped threads question

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
My son has a FSB with a 5.0. One of the bolt holes for the water pump has some stripped threads in the block . It's one of the long bolts goes for the water jacket. The bolt does not hold. So it leaks . I have tried a new bolt and it still does not hold. So now I'm thinking it's time to try to fix the threads.
My question. Should I use a Helicoil or tap it bigger?
I'm thinking the Helicoil but all the inserts I see are short , like 1/2 long so the bolt will only be grabbing that much thread. The water pump bolt has much longer threads.
What do you think I should do ? Not a job I'm looking forward to.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Regardless how much of the bolt is threaded; the bolt's strength is limited by its minimum diameter (in the deepest part of the thread). Generally, if the thread is engaged more than 2x the minimum diameter, the bolt will fail before the thread.

This shows where the bolts go:

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, yes, probably helicoil. Don't go bigger. The water pump and timing cover might not like being drilled out. I would take it apart and see if the threads could be saved with a chaser, otherwise follow the instructions on the helicoil package, and use the drill and tap they recommend. Remember to use thread sealant on the bolts that go into the water jacket. Good luck

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I'd try the inserts as well.
for threads, all you really need is 7 threads to carry the load. push comes to shove you could get away with 5...

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
77 bronco

Same bolt broke off in my 77 EB by original owner he parked it from 1989 till 2006 When he gave it to me so I had the engine rebuilt and the helicoil worked great . So the broken off bolt in my case got me the bronco , I drive it every day during the summer

Attachments

• IMG_3377.jpg
    IMG_3377.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 44

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Longer Helicoil may not be the best plan. The Helicoil needs to be shorter than the hole depth.

OP
OP
Tiko433

Tiko433

Contributor
Loc.
South West Florida
I'm going to go with the Timesert. I like it's a solid piece and it has a stop on it. I can get a insert that 3/4 long. Obviously I'm not planning on going any deeper so I will keep it a bit shorter then current thread depth . I'm not really to jump into it but when I do I post how it went.
I found the leak while doing a SD to MAF swap. I didn't have it all sorted out. So I want to make sure it's running good then I will deal will the bolt.
Thanks for the input guys

OP
OP
Tiko433

Tiko433

Contributor
Loc.
South West Florida

Thanks for suggesting this. It was a bit pricey compared to a Helicoil but when I was trying to save a good motor I wanted to make sure it was done right. I'm not suggesting Timesert is better then Helicoil. I do like Timesert is a solid piece and it has a stop built in when set it. I bolted water pump on and those threads felt as good as the other ones.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The engine shop that I used to work for used Timeserts as their first option and Helicoils only when a Timesert wouldn't fit.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Time-serts are better, but it is nice that you can stack 2 helicoils on top of each other when needed.