• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stubborn front drum...

TwoHorses

Loc.
Milwaukee
I can't get the SOB off. I banged it hard with a hammer too! Maybe this is why the truck pulls so hard to the left under hard braking when cold. It's the right side that won't come off (we're talking front here).

Any suggestions?

I nailed it with WD-40 as well... I'll try liquied wrench too.

stupid thang.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I just built a dana 44 set up with Running Buddys help ..It's far him .....Well one of his drums is in pieces I've never tore one up as bad got the hot wrench aholt of it ......Heat around the studs is what I was taught and then adjust it off ......Nothing helped on this one I put about 4 big screwdrivers around it and broke them ..But when I was done the drum was off......SCRAP IRON...

mr.n

First maekk sure you've all the parts out you need to have out... http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Mr.N44.htm

Two screwdrivers and a big hammer.. (Might have to buy a new drum, in that case look into the price of disk brakes.)

buildup_hub_drum_removal.jpg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You did pull the hub and wheel bearings, didn't you? The drums and hubs are designed to come off together, it ain't like a Chevy.

OP
OP
TwoHorses

TwoHorses

Loc.
Milwaukee
Wow... I'm on a fricken roll. First my newly built tranny don't run for chit and now I find out something is hosed on my front brakes. When I pulled the wheels off back in December I was able to pull off the brake drum right off the studs/hub on three of the four corners. Just the one passenger drum didn't come off. I thought that's how it works? Now I'm reading that shouldn't have happened? WTF.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
If you have a groove from brake shoes worn into the drum, you will need to back the adjuster off in order to get the drum off. There is also a couple axle nuts that must or should be removed before taking the fronts off. If all else fails, I just grab the sledge and beat the drums into little pieces and they fall right off.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
The front drums are suposed to be swedged onto the studs in the hub. It is common for them not to be swedged it the PO replaced a drum and didn't replace the studs with new ones. The correct way to remove the drums is by pulling the whole hub assembly ;)

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably not the right way of doing it but it worked for me. What I did was put the lugs back on the studs, about half way, then tapped them towards the center of the axle, affectively backing them out of the drum. Then all that is left is prying it off of the center portion of the hub.

It took some time the seperate them from everything but with a small sledge and and some break free, they evertually came apart. Once the drum is off, I re-set the studs simply by tightening them back down until they were seated all the way back on.

I was used to dealing with chevy diff's so I had no idea that you were supposed to seperate the hub and drum as 1 unit.

Got it all back together with new insides and now it stops just fine.

Good luck.