• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

stubborn pitman arm removal

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Can't believe this is fighting me so much. I just had the pitman arm off about 2 years ago.

Anyway, struggling to get this off the shaft. Any suggestions?

I didn't remove the drag link since I'm swapping in a different box. It that contributing to this stubborn removal? I didn't remove the drag link before, the last time I removed it.

Little heat?

I'm bending tabs on the pitman arm remover!

Thanks.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Use the puller and smack the arm with a big hammer the shock usually will make the arm pop off. If you don't already own a puller this style is the only type to own.HTH

Attachments

• pitman.jpg
    pitman.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 107

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The last pitman arm I removed on my press required 20-25 tons of force...they can be stubborn.

SteveC

Loc.
Tuscaloosa AL
Ruined a puller trying to get mine off once. Apply downward pressure with a pry bar between the steering box and the top of the pitman arm opposite the extended arm then tap the extended arm with a hammer.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Guess I've been lucky, I've never had one that wouldn't come off with a puller, impact gun, hammer combination.

Tim

ransil

Bronco Guru
Use the puller and smack the arm with a big hammer the shock usually will make the arm pop off. If you don't already own a puller this style is the only type to own.HTH

x2 on this type , i have a couple of the other type they don't get used anymore.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Mine wouldn't come off when I was pulling my steering box. Once I got the box out with the arm attached, I soaked it in PB Blaster overnight, positioned it on an anvil where I could beat the sides of it with a 3 lb hammer, heated it up with a torch, put the puller on it and it came off with some effort.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I have destroyed a few pullers on a few arms. A good puller, a few good hits with a 3 lbs hammer and a little heat have always worked accept once, I needed to pull the pitman arm off my super duty when I put the lift on it only had 35,000 miles on the truck, destroyed two pullers, heated it, beat on it, no go! Had to take a 4" cutting wheel in a grinder and cut a relief in it to get it off. They can be tuff!

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
never had a problem.....the tool wont usually have the nuts to break them loose without destroying the threads.....that's where the 8lb sledge comes into play.....crank that pitman arm tool nice and tight....wack the side of the arm a few times hard....tighten tool again if possible and keep hitting it until it drops off.....if its in the vehicle watch out so you don't smash your toe cause your wearing sandles when she pops off!

Same thing with tie rods.....get yourself a tie rod removal tool.....apply pressure with tool.....and wack away!

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I left the puller on it . Soaked PB ... Heated it up ... Smack it with hammer .... ..... Repeat ..... One day later ..... POP. I also remember I was hitting the drag link end at the time

Last edited:

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've had success using this recipe:

2 jaw puller tight as I can get it.
Heat the pitman arm with a propane torch for 5 minutes.
Drift or socket extension through the engine bay to smack the pitman arm on the top with a 3lb sledge.

couple good whacks and they pop right off.

OP
OP
muskrat

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Great suggestions guys! Can't wait until 5 to get back at it! Thanks.

OP
OP
muskrat

muskrat

Bronco Guru
All good. She dropped real easy last night after really soaking the hell out of it with PB Blaster.

didn't have to use heat.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Muskrat

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Ruined a puller trying to get mine off once. Apply downward pressure with a pry bar between the steering box and the top of the pitman arm opposite the extended arm then tap the extended arm with a hammer.

I've used this method too, except I used a pickle fork. That's if the hammer tap doesn't work.