• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

stuck in 4low

73bronc92

Hey I just got a 1973 Bronco but its stuck in 4 low. I dont know much about it since i just got it but its got manual locking hubs and a hurst shifter on the floor with the 4h 4l n 2h next to it? Any suggestions thanks%) oh 351w 35's if that helps

Last edited:

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
Welcome to the board. You will find that everyone here is easy going and willing to help.

You might have to crawl underneath and lightly use a large screwdriver to pry it out of gear. Or spray it down really good and let it sit overnight and try it from the top side. Has it been stuck in 4low long?...worst case is that the shift rod has slipped off the gear...happened to me...sucked!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK, sounds like you have one of the last T-shift Broncos. '73 was a change over year on the shifter.

DO NOT PRY THE SHIFTER!!!!!!

More then likely you just have the axles bound front to rear. There is pressure on the gears and they will not slide out of position while there is pressure on them. If you are at home, jack up a tire, release the pressure and it will shift. Or drive it and put a little pressure on the shifter while tipping in and out of the throttle or put a little pressure on the shifter whiel changing from forward to reverse while in a slight turn.

Prying the shifter will probably bend things and then you are really screwed. It typically shifts real nice as long as the gears are not bound up.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Hey I just got a 1973 Bronco but its stuck in 4 low. I dont know much about it since i just got it but its got manual locking hubs and a hurst shifter on the floor with the 4h 4l n 2h next to it? Any suggestions thanks%) oh 351w 35's if that helps

Put the tranny in reverse and back up. Then try to get it out of 2w lo. It always works for me.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I too was going to say jack up the front end ...When mine lockup up I couldn't get it loose backed up.. turned ...pulled ...yanked on the shifter ...jacked it up off the ground it popped and all was well.....

OP
OP

73bronc92

o man thanks for the quick replies, yeah i tried all the thing Papitt said minus lifting the front lol. So ill give that a try and let you knjow thanks:)

OP
OP

73bronc92

:mad: oh yeah i forgot... my truck is out in the middle of the feild... the truck stalled and it wont even turn over... brand new battery! ant suggestions with that

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
First get it running. Then you'll want to try to run it in reverse for twenty feet or so to unbind the gears. What happens is that Ford uses a slightly different gear ratio in the rear end than what Spicer offered for the front. 3.50 in the rear/3.54 in front was most common. It seems to happen less on mine now since I went to 4.11 in the rear and 4.09 in the front. I think that's because the rear is actually being pulled by the front now rather than the other way around.

70_Steve

Old Guy
73bronc92;1125041the truck stalled and it wont even turn over... brand new battery! ant suggestions with that[/QUOTE said:
Yeah, lots of them. When you turn the key, can you hear the starter solenoid click?

If yes, then check all the cable connections from the battery to the starter solenoid, solenoid to the starter, and also the ground cable which should come from the block back to the negative battery terminal. If the connections are good, you might just try jumping around the solenoid, for a test. Take a jumper cable and connect from the BAT connection to the STA connection, and see if the starter turns over. If so, the solenoid is bad.

If the solenoid doesn't click when turning the key, try shorting from the big BAT connetion to the small S connection on the solenoid (small terminal, right next to the big BAT connection). This should cause the solenoid to energize, and put power to the starter. If the solenoid energizes (clicks) then there's a problem getting voltage from the key to the starter solenoid. Could be the ignition switch or somewhere in the wiring.

With any of these tests, be prepared for the engine to turn over. Tranny in Neutral, emergency brake on, tires chocked, hands away from anything that might turn (fan, belts, etc). BE SAFE!

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I've got the same transfer case, 35" tires and a wore out 302.

The common method for me to get my rig out of 4x4 low is to pull back on the shifter while letting off the clutch with the transmission in gear.

There is no way in hell I could just come to a stop in 4L and just put it in 2H.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
:mad: oh yeah i forgot... my truck is out in the middle of the feild... the truck stalled and it wont even turn over... brand new battery! ant suggestions with that

Let me guess...
New toy, took it out into a field and started playing in the mud. Now the engine won't even crank over.

Possibly they didn't have the cover sealing up the flywheel area and that packed with mud and sticks.

Really, playing in a field and it stalling isn't much of a problem we can diagnois. New battery, so what. Are the cables still attached? Do the lights work? does the solenoid click? Do the lights stay bright as you try and start it or do they dim/go out? So much stuff that we can't tell you what went wrong. That new battery may not even be any good.

OP
OP

73bronc92

ha ha thats alot of info to digest... but i'll write it down and go out and try everything%)

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
...sheesh we I said 'pry with a screw driver' I didnt mean get a crow bar. HAHA. OMG DONT PRY Plus with the room up there you really cant get enough leverage to pry hard enough to BEND anything....OMG NOOOOOOOOOOOO haha

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
...sheesh we I said 'pry with a screw driver' I didnt mean get a crow bar. HAHA. OMG DONT PRY Plus with the room up there you really cant get enough leverage to pry hard enough to BEND anything....OMG NOOOOOOOOOOOO haha. Had to enter the pic, the caps lock thingy cracked me up;D

Attachments

• rage.jpg
    rage.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 6

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I suspect you have the J shift transfer case that will shift as in the second pic below, as opposed to the T shift in first pic.

Using the shift pattern for the J shift pic back up about twenty feet and cost to a stop, put it in neutral and try to shift out of four low into four high with a sharp pull on the shifter. If this does not work pull forward another twenty feet and try again, then back if necessary until it has shifted. From four high you should be able to now shift to two, but if not continue the back and forth until this too is accomplished.

Attachments

• shift-knob-t_shift.jpg
    shift-knob-t_shift.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 102
  • shift-knob-j_shift.jpg
    shift-knob-j_shift.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP

73bronc92

sorry guys i was in lake city for the week but my cousin and i went to pull the truck outta the feild pulled it back a little turned the key and fired right up... and i got it outta 4lo haha i lifted the front and it came right out... Thanks for the help%)

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Glad we could help - there are a lot of smart people on here.....

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
There is a learning curve to drive a bronco man. It's more of a "feel" thing. Glad you got it out. next time you'll know. And it sounds like your starter was stuck as well, that's why it didn't turn over?

J.D.

pinenuts

Loc.
Hereford, AZ
My 76 had a J shifter, but I had the same problem. I always had a tough time getting it out 4 low. I tried backing up, and jacking up but it was always a problem getting it out of 4 low. I installed a twin stick shifter I bought from Tom's and it works much better now.