• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

stuck PCV valve

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmm, can't say I've seen that before. They do get tight sometimes, held in by years of burned-on oil sticking it to the rubber grommet, but not sure that's the only thing at work here.
Any chance you can see if it's been glued in by something? Does it have the standard looking rubber grommet in the valve cover that the PCV is inserted in to? Might just be that the grommet has swelled, and then hardened. I'm guessing if you pull hard enough it will come out, but it might also break the grommet into pieces.
Can you tell if the rubber is still soft, or if it has turned rock hard resembling resin?

You could start the process by spraying it down with various chemicals. Carb cleaner comes to mind first, to dissolve the oil buildup if that's what's holding it. Maybe other stuff too, but not sure until we know more.

The good news is that both the valve and the grommet are available new, but you would want to know the valve cover and grommet are original. If not sure, we might be able to help if we can see it.
If you can take a pic that would be great. If you do not want to become a contributor yet, you can put images in your "Garage" and "Gallery" locations. Or use another online hosting site you might already use and link the location to this discussion.
If you're going to be doing a lot of image posting coming up though, the 12 bucks a year to be a contributor is well worth it.

good luck. Look forward to seeing this valve setup.
Oh, and what year is the Bronco? What engine?

Paul

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I'll go along with Paul in assuming you are referring to the PCV being stuck in the rubber grommet. The one thing I would do differently is to soak it over night with PB Blaster penetrating oil. Carb cleaner like lacquer thinner will swell and dissolve the rubber penetrating won't. Tho it does dissolve the varnish old oil becomes.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just had a thought (happens now and then!) that maybe what you're describing is just the 45° elbow. I mentioned that the valves themselves rarely get so stuck you have a hard time getting them out, but those pesky elbows are almost always hard to get out once the rubber grommet has started to harden. Heck, the one in my '71 has never been out because the one time I tried (for no real reason other than I wanted to check it out) it was too hard and I did not want to break either the elbow or the grommet.
At that time they may have been readily available, but I didn't know where to get one. This was when the truck was only about six or seven years old and the rubber was already pretty hardened.

Anyway, long-winded way of saying maybe that's normal. The barb on the end of the elbow is pretty pronounced, so it does not pull easily except when the rubber is very flexible.

Paul

OP
OP
morencycollege

morencycollege

Thanks, sorry I should have described better. The elbow is stuck in the rubber grommet (if you can call it rubber anymore, it’s hard as plastic). I’m afraid I’ll break it if I pull to hard. I can get it to come up a little. I’ll try the pb blaster and let you know. It’s a 73, 302.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Those plastic elbows are tough they have a hefty barb on the bottom side to help sealing. cut the thing on the top and push it out the bottom. if the grommet is really hard it going to be tough to push a new one in. use to be able to get the elbows and the grommet in the help parts section at the auto parts.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks, sorry I should have described better. The elbow is stuck in the rubber grommet (if you can call it rubber anymore, it’s hard as plastic). I’m afraid I’ll break it if I pull to hard. I can get it to come up a little. I’ll try the pb blaster and let you know. It’s a 73, 302.

might be your best method.. let it soak a bit, and good luck

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I'm glad you clarified the problem. The breather elbows and rubber grommets are readily available in the HELP section of chain parts stores. Once they get hard they don't seal. So you'll need to replace it anyway.