• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stuck tailgate

94broncoboy

Loc.
Tulsa oklahoma
Hey everyone. Well recently I tried to open the tailgate and it would not open. When I pull the latch it goes to a point that seems half way so when I pull harder it fully opens but the actual tailgate won't come down. Any ideas how to fix this?

chuckinphx

Loc.
phx
pull the handle pull the two rods that move the latches , mine was off the hooks inside

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
The rods are behind the tailgate handle. Take the handle off, and the screws holding the plate behind it off. Use some pliers to pull the rods to get the tailgat open.

Good luck

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
It should get it open and help to figure out what went wrong in there. I'm betting a rod came loose from the handle and isn't allowing one side to unlatch.

horsewpt69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Industry, Pa
Um... based on your handle name, what year is your Bronco? If it's a 94, you have a different issue than what has been explained above. Your gate handle is on the inside and the rods could be bent and or your striker posts are worn out, causing the latch to function inproperly. We accept any and all Bronco lovers here, but this is primarily an Early Bronco forum 66-77 Broncos. So everyone will assume that you have an earlier model Bronco issue and will answer accordingly. Hope this helps

OP
OP

94broncoboy

Loc.
Tulsa oklahoma
Mine is a 76. Haha. When I pull the handle its loose then it Gets tough when I pull to its full extent. It moved a very little but did not open

horsewpt69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Industry, Pa
Ok, that clears that up;D it may also be spinning on the stud that the handle itself is bolted to. You can use plyers to manually pull the rods in towards each other to get it to unlatch. The stud has a square base that the handle goes on so that it will turn the rods. You may need a new stud and handle, and it may not hurt to hit the latches with some PB Blaster.

fastcarkenny

Loc.
Avondale, AZ
I would go with one of the rods being out of place on one end or the other. If it moves a little after you pull the handle, but not before, something is moving in there. I know when I was putting mine back together, I found that if the striker plates were mis adjusted, it would bind up and not open, even though the latch mechanism in the tailgate was working fine.

How much does it move when you have the handle pulled all the way out? If its more than a 1/4 inch or so, it might just be binding up on the striker plates.

If its not moving very much at all, I'm with the other guys in saying take the handle off and pull the rods together manually.

Good luck!