• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Subwoofer Center Console or other places

Thunder26

I'm thinking about prototyping a center console or some other place to put an 8 inch subwoofer, any ideas? I like the center console because I could downfire the sub and it would sound better if the top was off.

So please give me some enclosures you would like to see? Might make a prize for the best idea...

Edit: To clarify I would make them to possibly sell if there was actual interest in them, this isn't for my own project.

Last edited:

richparsonsx

I'm thinking about prototyping a center console or some other place to put an 8 inch subwoofer, any ideas? I like the center console because I could downfire the sub and it would sound better if the top was off.

So please give me some enclosures you would like to see? Might make a prize for the best idea...

I am also looking and building a custom box for under the rear seat to mount a shallow 10"...the box design I have in mind would be like 15x20, 6 inches tall in the front, 4 in the back which should fit under the stock seat (might have to change those a little after I get measurements).

Basically looking at partitioning off the front 3 inches to build two small boxes to mount forward facing 5x7's or something in the 5-5.5 inch cone range. The back 12 inches of the box will be dedicated to the sub. Each compartment sealed on its own with silicone. Based on my math I will have just under 1 cubic foot of space for the sub box and there are some shallow 10's that will run decent down to .7 cu ft.

While not the ideal set up for an audiophile, it is out of the way, hidden from plain sight, and will give the back seat riders a thumpin good time

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I think fitting an 8 in the center console will be a challenge - you really only have about 8-10" between most seats today. Have you seen the jeep sub console? You might be able to do two 6" subs but that would take up a lot of space - remember folks actually need to store and lock their stuff in their center consoles since there isn't much safe storage in our trucks.

Personally I've done a powered 10" infiniti basslink behind the rear seat - it sounded great but took up a lot of space in a small bronco.

My new one is going to have an 8" powered sub under the passenger front seat (or maybe the rear seat depending on how it shakes out).

Here's a link to that jeep sub: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...age=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0&tx=87&ty=105

OP
OP
Thunder26

Thunder26

Thats what I wanna know exactly is where would different people want me to make enclosures for. It would also help to know what kind of music.

That was pretty ugly, the one I would do would be down fired for stealth and sound.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Thats what I wanna know exactly is where would different people want me to make enclosures for. It would also help to know what kind of music.

That was pretty ugly, the one I would do would be down fired for stealth and sound.

Ha - I never said it was pretty!!! How small of an enclosure could you make?

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Im a huge fan of bass that just kicks your ass and makes your ears tingle along with audiophile quality mids and highs. The Bronco poses for me a huge challenge in the sense that it rattles and that there is very limited space. For storage I put the tuffy glovebox and underseat drawer as well as a center console with custom parts to it.

I am left with the space in the door, which I cant use otherwise. The rather large space thats quite useless is the space between the rollbar and the quarter panel and fenderwell. Most people need the console to lock up their stuff. And most Broncos I have seen dont really utilize the large space around the rear quarter panel. The rock rigs ofcourse dont need that space for subs but the daily drivers could definitely use it.

Im basically looking for an enclosed unit with a section for a 10" sub and to the front side for a mid and treble. I want to be able to take the rollbar out, mount the box, put the rollbar back and be done cause I hate fabrication. Its messy and I suck at it ;D

Im trying to fit & mount the following:The red is where Im having problems.

ipad 3g
audison bit 1
JL Audio HD 900/5 Amp
2 x JL Audio 10w7
4 x JL Audio ZR 525-CSI for the doors and rear quarter panel

Attached is a pic of what some people have done to the subs:

Attachments

• imag0149.jpg
    imag0149.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 214
  • imag0119.jpg
    imag0119.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 268
  • subs1_resize.jpg
    subs1_resize.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 237

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
here's what i built for my truck sports a jl 10" sub and i think it sounds great. enclosure is un ported, it's built out of mdf and then i covered it with foam padding and then 2 layers of black polyester i bought a fabric store.
PC010347.jpg

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I picked up an 8" that was designed for a small enclosure...trying to remember the brand...JL, Infiniti or POLK...Pretty sure the are POLK...its been a long day.

Anyway, I utilized the sapce underneath the wing of my Tuffy box and made a box out of 1/8" steel...it mounts sunken down toward the floor attached to the cage and under the box...so, its impossible to remove without keys, tools, etc. It fires sideways into the open side of the rear quarter. Its not ported, its lined with Line-X on the outside, two layers of sound deadener on the inside and poly-fill. Its pushed by a a bridged pair of channels from a 6 ch JL Audio Marine amp. It does the job...not slammin' but loud, tight and nice depth. I also have a pair of 6X9 mounted to the rear quarters in custom 16 guage boxes that I made and I have some 4" JL Audios up front. It sounds pretty good...definitely loud...loud enough to compete with the 35" MTs on the interstate @ 80 mph. I know I am losing most of the sound to the outside; I can tell when I run the windows in the soft-top. I think it will sound really great if I ever get around to finishing the hardtop and get it on the truck.

While using steel may not make sense to all, its the best way to generate a small enclosure...MDF dimensionally takes up too much space when you dont have it to begin with.

Sorry, no pics. Good luck with your designs.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I have been thinking about tring to do something like this for awhile thinking about something like the JL audio stealthbox for an F150 fits a 10" sub havent mesured console in the truck yet but looks like it would fit http://www.crutchfield.com/s_13694027/JL-Audio-Stealthbox.html?tp=12431

OP
OP
Thunder26

Thunder26

Ha - I never said it was pretty!!! How small of an enclosure could you make?

Depending on the sub and the kind of sound you like any where from .2cf for a sealed, .5cf for a passive radiator, and .7 for a ported. Those sizes all being for 8" woofers, though I have designs for up to a 12" depending on rollbars.

Im basically looking for an enclosed unit with a section for a 10" sub and to the front side for a mid and treble. I want to be able to take the rollbar out, mount the box, put the rollbar back and be done cause I hate fabrication. Its messy and I suck at it ;D

Im trying to fit & mount the following:The red is where Im having problems.

ipad 3g
audison bit 1
JL Audio HD 900/5 Amp
2 x JL Audio 10w7
4 x JL Audio ZR 525-CSI for the doors and rear quarter panel

I could do fiberglass door panels, would that be something you would like to see? I think providing the sound you like would be achievable using a good 12" with lots of xmax and a sealed enclosure.

The products I would make would all be made of fiberglass or vacuum formed plastic because as said there isn't a lot of space but then again i wouldn't make them out of metal as the enclosure would ring with any good amount of pressure.

Does everybody here tend to like music with kick drums and other music with a lot of impact or is there some desire for low end extension?

OP
OP
Thunder26

Thunder26

I have been thinking about tring to do something like this for awhile thinking about something like the JL audio stealthbox for an F150 fits a 10" sub havent mesured console in the truck yet but looks like it would fit http://www.crutchfield.com/s_13694027/JL-Audio-Stealthbox.html?tp=12431

Link doesn't work

OP
OP
Thunder26

Thunder26

Oh ok, thats what inspired me to see what kind of interest people would have for center console with a sub designed for broncos.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey

Thanks for clearing that up I would be interested if you could come up with some kind of console box combo if you come up with something Thunder26 definitely let me know what kind of price range you would be look at as far as music types I'm into everything from metal/rock/oldies/country so almost a little of every thing

OP
OP
Thunder26

Thunder26

I'll get a sketchup design of a center console up hopefully this weekend.

Can someone comment on what all they keep in the center console locked?

backpain

Bronco Guru
I am also looking and building a custom box for under the rear seat to mount a shallow 10"...the box design I have in mind would be like 15x20, 6 inches tall in the front, 4 in the back which should fit under the stock seat (might have to change those a little after I get measurements).

Basically looking at partitioning off the front 3 inches to build two small boxes to mount forward facing 5x7's or something in the 5-5.5 inch cone range. The back 12 inches of the box will be dedicated to the sub. Each compartment sealed on its own with silicone. Based on my math I will have just under 1 cubic foot of space for the sub box and there are some shallow 10's that will run decent down to .7 cu ft.

While not the ideal set up for an audiophile, it is out of the way, hidden from plain sight, and will give the back seat riders a thumpin good time

Pretty much what I have, but with 5" or so fronts - I can't remember. PM me as a reminder and I'll measure and take pics. The box is just sitting on a shelf.

The rest of my story is pretty much like NY-Bronco. Same basic desires on sound etc. I don't plan on fab'ing 'glass either.

My problem is placement. I've done so much now to the interior, and am planning the rear seat movable/removable. I don't have carpet to hide anything I don't want wires coming up through the floor for the box anymore. So then, I am almost stuck with side panel mounted sub. I don't want to have to build that box and I don't want anything sticking out into the bed too much (same reason I don't want wires coming through the floor - I want to be able to throw stuff in the back without worrying about messing things up.)

I am out of creativity on this one. I don't think I want 2 8"s in the front on a tunnel/dash extension - if that would even fit. Ctr console is already built and has too much room taken up with shifter, switches and necessary storage. I guess I'm stuck with a removable box attached under the rear seat with wiring coming from the side panel so the seat can slide back and forth and the wire can be tucked away when the seat is removed --- OR ---- custom built rear qtr box(es).

I'm already just about out of room for an amp. Trying to limit the visible wiring. My firewall is pretty much taken up with control boxes and relays for EFI, lights, locks, windows, etc.

OP
OP
Thunder26

Thunder26

Would you be up for a box behind the wheel well on the passenger side? I have an idea for a box there and I possibly could incorporate a plate amp into any product so you would just run a signal wire to the amp and that could be done on the backside where the amp would be. One enclosure design may call for a 4.25" hole in the floor or inner quarter panel to vent outside the truck, would this be a turn off for most people?

I'm thinking maybe a product for people with modest expectations and one for people that would want massive bass.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Would you be up for a box behind the wheel well on the passenger side? I have an idea for a box there and I possibly could incorporate a plate amp into any product so you would just run a signal wire to the amp and that could be done on the backside where the amp would be. One enclosure design may call for a 4.25" hole in the floor or inner quarter panel to vent outside the truck, would this be a turn off for most people?

I'm thinking maybe a product for people with modest expectations and one for people that would want massive bass.

I would be interested in a sub box for the back if it tucked in enough, same reason as backpain don't want to lose to much space back there the other place I was thinking of was under the passenger front seat besides in a console as far as what I lock up in my console now, mic for cb, stereo, papers for insurance and anything else that I just dont want to leave out in plane sight to many sticky hands around here thats why I was thinking about the sub in a console dose not draw as much attention

OP
OP
Thunder26

Thunder26

I would be interested in a sub box for the back if it tucked in enough, same reason as backpain don't want to lose to much space back there the other place I was thinking of was under the passenger front seat besides in a console as far as what I lock up in my console now, mic for cb, stereo, papers for insurance and anything else that I just dont want to leave out in plane sight to many sticky hands around here thats why I was thinking about the sub in a console dose not draw as much attention

Yeah same problem herre and that's why I thought of it. I'm gonna send you a PM is that ok?

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Attachments

• IMG00332-20100530-0958.jpg
    IMG00332-20100530-0958.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG00339-20100530-1005.jpg
    IMG00339-20100530-1005.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG00342-20100530-1024.jpg
    IMG00342-20100530-1024.jpg