• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

subwoofer ideas

Broncofan76

Loc.
Atlanta
I used the area behind the rear seat for my sub. I made a downward firing box and used an IDQ 10" sub. The IDQ is able to run in a small box. I used some security hardware and 3" angle iron to mount the box through the floor. I have not missed the storage space but i have a pickup truck for my dd and use it when I need more space.
I researched many options for under the rear seat and by the time I could make a speaker (10") fit under there I would have had to raise the seat and/or create a recessed pan in the floor to make room for a speaker box.
I have seen the area under the passenger seat used for a sub but it was not a very clean instal and I decided against that after seeing how it was done.

If anyone wants more details on the box or speaker shoot me a PM or post up.

Attachments

• IMG_0987.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0986.jpg
    IMG_0986.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 138

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
When comparing size of the speakers in a single configuration bass production you would be correct, the best sounding competition car I ever heard ran 8-8's so 8" speakers can make awesome bass

Yup.. And way less distortion.

I guess it a question of what you want. Tons of bass or good sounding music. Smaller drivers will provide better response and be more true to the music. If you just want to blow the doors off of the Honda Civic at the stoplight then go 24". If you want to enjoy your music then several smaller drivers will get you what you want and be easier to integrate into the confines of the Bronco interior. JL used to and may still make a 6.5" subwoofer. For those in doubt that little driver in the right box would surprise the heck out of you.

Then again you are driving one of the coolest vehicles on the planet so the AM radio and single 5x7 in the dash is really all that is needed.

u10072

Bronco Guru
I think I'm gonna build a box for the rearmost passejnger corner (by the tailgate) out of 16ga steel, build it so that it misses the rollcage by a little and almost goes to the outer skin. I think a 10" will fit but an 8" will for sure. It can be covered with Bedliner on the outside and dynamat on the inside. Will it be competition sound? Well of course not but that for me is something I could car less about. For me sound systems should be heard and not seen-- which is very similar to how the factory designers address these systems.

OP
OP
P

panteramatt

I used the area behind the rear seat for my sub. I made a downward firing box and used an IDQ 10" sub. The IDQ is able to run in a small box. I used some security hardware and 3" angle iron to mount the box through the floor. I have not missed the storage space but i have a pickup truck for my dd and use it when I need more space.
I researched many options for under the rear seat and by the time I could make a speaker (10") fit under there I would have had to raise the seat and/or create a recessed pan in the floor to make room for a speaker box.
I have seen the area under the passenger seat used for a sub but it was not a very clean instal and I decided against that after seeing how it was done.

If anyone wants more details on the box or speaker shoot me a PM or post up.

Nice box and good sub but I dont want to loose that space.

Broncofan76

Loc.
Atlanta
I think I'm gonna build a box for the rearmost passejnger corner (by the tailgate) out of 16ga steel, build it so that it misses the rollcage by a little and almost goes to the outer skin. I think a 10" will fit but an 8" will for sure. It can be covered with Bedliner on the outside and dynamat on the inside. Will it be competition sound? Well of course not but that for me is something I could car less about. For me sound systems should be heard and not seen-- which is very similar to how the factory designers address these systems.

I understand that your not looking to achieve competition sound here but a wooden box will sound much better 1/2"-3/4" MDF with countersunk drywall screws and latex caulking on the inside seams is pretty common and about as good of a material as you'll find IMO. Linex the crap out of it for weather resistance?

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
Yea I think m going to have to change my location. I just dont think I will be able to make a downfiring box large enough under the front seat. Ill look into under the rear seat now.

It is a good place to put your amplifier(s). Its the only place I can find in muin that comes close to fitting.

Mobious

Loc.
El Segundo
I have a downward firing sub in a custom box under the passenger seat. It isn't huge and it isn't going to win any ribbons at a contest, but the sound is pretty good even with the roof off. It is a 6.5" JL Audio (6W3v3).

Attachments

• sub1.jpg
    sub1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 144
  • sub2.jpg
    sub2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 140

Broncofan76

Loc.
Atlanta
I have amps under he passengers seat and it seems to workout well. That 6.5" driver in that location is pretty sweet.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Back in the 80's I had a 10" Bazooka tube in the passenger rear corner mounted vertically.
It was out of the way. Kind of boomy but loud as hell. Not even sure if they still make them.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
10" Polk under the pass seat. Water tight box, with the cone facing up. I water-tight sealed Gore-tex to the top of the box.

10 years still sounds great. Been under water a couple times... not for extended times but it worked well. Gives my passengers a "buzz"... :)

Couldn't give up the space since my rig isn't a grocery getter. I need space for tools, camping equip., gear, spare parts!

Bickster

Sub frequencies are not directional. As long as your below 120hz you can fire in any direction. The sealed box radiator does have a good bit of distortion which is >125hz. Hopefully you won't miss that! Just make sure you have enough clearance for cone excursion (xMax). If you think about it there are many subs up-firing into seats with open cell foam rubber cushions. Sound this low doesn't care.

Bob

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Those 6.5's are sweet. I'm also planning on running one or two of those for "mid-bass" so I can let the 13.5 handle the low lows and the 6.5 the mid lows. Just not sure where to put it/them to get maximum sound with the top off.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I gotta laugh a little "hear" as we talk about good sound systems in Broncos with the top off...heck, even with them on they have got to be one of the worst vehicles on the road for background noise and overall accoustics!!

: )

I ran a bikini top for 12 years-year round and when I put my 1/2 cab on I was amazed at how much better the sound was...now with the stroker and 14" mufflers that's not a problem anymore... exhaust note = what stereo??

beerad

Loc.
rochester mn
Harbor freight sells cans for 35 bucks... kinda cool had I not blew my wad on a duff bumper already I would be all over something like this

DSC_0617-p1_zps7a351d08.jpg

JK

Loc.
Kent, WA
I fiberglassed a 12" Pioneer shallow mount into the rear passenger quarter. Someone said a 10" needs 2.5 cu_ft. That is not at all true. Most 10's, even in a ported enclosure, will call for less than that. My pioneer 12" calls for .65 cu_ft at a minimum. Hard to calculate with all the curve involved, but I figure I got to about .55-.60. Polyfill should take care of the rest, and it sounds fantastic!

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222327