• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

subwoofer enclosures

73bronc92

Hey I have 2 12 inch subs that i really want to put in my bronco. Anyway being in high school and all i would really hate to see them get ripped out... so my question, could i build a metal box that goes over the sub enclosure and tacs on to the floor or something along those lines? I dont run back seats at least not yet it would just be something to disguise/ deter would be theifs. Also the bronco is nothing fancy, soft top, soft doors so security is non existent %). I would be running an amp controlled by ipod, 2 6x9's and hopefully 2 subs. thanks for the help

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
PM Tom Carper from "The Bronco Ranch" on this board. He has a killer, idiot/theft proof system in his copper EB. I think he has his box screwed to the floor. he also has weather proof enclosures (I believe) on his rear fenderwells.

clkwrkorg36

you could downfire the subs behind the rear seat, and bolt it to the floor. to someone looking in it would look like a box with no speakers. to do this the box needs to be raised about 3" on some "feet".

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Disguise is always a better choice IMO. Make the box a short, down firing setup, bolt it to the floor, add padding and upholstery to the top and voila! Your bench seat/speaker box is done. If the speakers aren't visible, and the box isn't obvious, you''ll be 98% of the way to a theft proof system. Instead of speaker grills for the 6x9's just cover the whole panel in some acoustically "clear" cloth to hide the speakers completely. If nobody can see them, they don't exist.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Epoxy razor blades to the cooling fins of the amp and paint them to match :D

Might want to google death box as well, internal sub configuration so the cone and surround are more protected as well.

OP
OP

73bronc92

ha ha definately going with some razor blades and maybe some chrome barb wire ha. ;D But thanks for the tips they all sound very do-able

BroncoMatt13

Loc.
Belmont
im about to do the same thing to my rig with a little less bass(2-8''), and i have the same concerns. let me know how things turn out.
thanks, matt

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
I have a single 12" run bridged in a "wedge" box attached to the passenger side behind the wheel well. I also have the amp attached to the box. I normally don't let the bronco sit out where it can get pillaged though.

yh8t

Loc.
Los Angeles CA
I have 3 12's in a custom box with the amps bolted on the sides. Its behind the rear seat. I had a cover built to hide the box. Best system out of all the cars I have had.

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
Here is the box I was going to use. It has 4 bolts going through the bottom and can be secured to the floor. The front panel was going to be siliconed and screwed down with Torx head. The inside back panel had a piece of metal cut to work as a HUGE washer and spread out the force. When I designed this I wasn't too worried about it being stolen, but instead wanted some semi waterproof and wouldn't fall out in a roll. The back ports are the PERFECT size for a tennis ball.

Add in a few simple straps, noting too crazy, 1/16" steal? Or even made from diamond plate aluminum and anchored to the floor and it would be even beter.

Remember nothing is theft proof...you just want to make it was difficult as possible so they give up and move on, or best case see it and decided not to even bother in the first place.

Ended up not using it cause I needed the space for a small tool box instead. Actually still have this box floating around...

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 30

bigjhoov

nobody
Get some big ammo boxes to use as your enclosures. Cut holes in them, put a little dampning material in them, and bolt 'em down. They'll never know.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
I built a cage for my truck boxes from 3/4" square tube and welded cross braces. It's topped with expanded metal tacked on at every other square. Then epoxy it at the cross braces and the untacked sections to keep it from buzzing or rattling when the bass kicks in. I welded on feet made from flat stock then drilled through the floor to mount. You can stand on them and I was 280 lbs when I put it together. I mounted it between my rear seat and the front seat so it also makes the perfect place to bungy down a cooler. It sits level with my rear seat so my dogs can stretch out on it if they want too. You need a torch or 2 people with wrenches to get them out. They ain't going nowhere...

OP
OP

73bronc92

nice thanks for all the ideas. I can say the ammo boxes would look pretty cool. Well i already have the subs in a box from my Volvo (which I sold to get the Bronco:cool: ) so can i jut build a metal box around it and cut holes for the front of the subs, not huge, just to let air out? Its one of the boxes where it sits about a foot tall and like 3 feet long just a guestimate but sort of like this [o[]o] with a slice in the middle ha ha

BroncoMatt13

Loc.
Belmont
Get some big ammo boxes to use as your enclosures. Cut holes in them, put a little dampning material in them, and bolt 'em down. They'll never know.

i was thinking about doing this with mine!! i have 2 big ammo boxes mounted in the back for storage.... i lust didnt want to give up that extra space