• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Suggestions for carb for 1975 302

Crainbow243

So I tried rebuilding my carb and realized there was a few hairline cracks in it and it had issues with the choke. I've decided to replace it. I'm thinking going up to a 4 barrel carb. Any suggestions for carbs? Or suggestions on the upgrade? What all would have to be replaced?

Thanks

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, you can get the Holley 500 cfm 2 barrel which would bolt on, or change to a 4 barrel. I like the Ford four barrel manifold, also the Edelbrock performer. Also like a lot the Edelbrock Street avenger carb, 600 CFM, vacuum secondaries. If you have an automatic transmission don't forget the kickdown linkage. Good luck

Last edited:

chuck1022

Contributor
My Autolite 2150 2bbl 287cfm runs like a champ. But my rig is bone stock

Last edited:

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If you're gonna be a street only rig get an edelbrock performer. They run good and are easy to tune but they suck off road. If you're gonna go off road get a q-jet.

OP
OP
Crainbow243

Crainbow243

Most likely street only. Maybe slight off-roading, but nothing too serious.

What makes the difference for off road? I may end up towing it to Colorado and Utah for some off roading, but nothing crazy.

Is any 4 barrel going to require a new manifold?

OP
OP
Crainbow243

Crainbow243

Hi, you can get the Holley 500 cfm 2 barrel which would bolt on, or change to a 4 barrel. I like the Ford four barrel manifold, also the Edelbrock performer. Also like a lot the Edelbrock Street avenger carb, 600 CFM, vacuum secondaries. If you have an automatic transmission don't forget the kickdown linkage. Good luck
It's manual, 3 on the tree.

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
I like my 670cfm Holley Truck Avenger Carb... 670cfm may be a bit much for our 302's, but I tried the 470cfm first and had no power. It does great off road

oldiron

Bronco Guru
If your looking for suggestions here's mine.... Stay with a motorcraft/autolite 2100-2150. These are arguably the BEST carburetors ever designed, dirt simple,reliable,easy to tune and maintain. No modifications to make. When tuned properly these carbs will provide performance as close to fuel injection as is humanly possible. Over the years I've used every conceivable combination and keep coming back to the 2100 2bbl. Those are my .02
Greg

gnpenning

Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
I'm with oldiron. The 2100 series are a very good carb while being very simple. Unless you have some upper end motor mods you won't gain much if anything.

If you do what to go 4bbl the qjet is a great carb as well and easy to set up.

Both durable and simple carbs that do very well on and off road. Plus you can get kits for them everywhere.

chuck1022

Contributor
If your looking for suggestions here's mine.... Stay with a motorcraft/autolite 2100-2150. These are arguably the BEST carburetors ever designed, dirt simple,reliable,easy to tune and maintain. No modifications to make. When tuned properly these carbs will provide performance as close to fuel injection as is humanly possible. Over the years I've used every conceivable combination and keep coming back to the 2100 2bbl. Those are my .02
Greg

i just did a 200 mile road trip in my 1977 bronco, it is very stock, I have the 2150 carb on it, 16.5 mpg. I think the FITECH and explorer swaps and all that would be freaking awesome, but, my bronco is my daily driver, and it just works so I dont want to mess with the winning formula. If I bought another bronco, maybe i would do cool shit, this one needs shit that works

OP
OP
Crainbow243

Crainbow243

Where do you guys buy parts like carbs and manifolds from?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Personally I wouldn't buy fitech or the other fad efi, from all the troubleshooting threads they sound more finicky than carburetors and harder to tune?

As far as reliable and easy, I suggest another factory 2bbl. Are you sure yours is actually cracked and leaking? Or just a poor casting?

If you want a good 4 barrel, I suggest an edelbrock or a quadra jet. Holley are harder to tune and I don't think they stay tuned near as well. I ran an #1826 edelbrock for awhile, it was easy to set up and worked really well off road and at altitude. And yes if you go to a 4 barrel you have to change intake manifolds.

valveamp

I'm running the 4 bbl version of the motorcraft/autolite. I think it's a 4200 version. It's been great from day one. I live close to sea level, but frequently go to the local mountains, 6000 to 7000 feet. I can tell a difference in performance but it's not that bad. It would be good to have an EFI system that automatically compensates for altitude, but I like simplicity and basics. I don't need to worry about sensors, computers, or injectors failing. For reliability, simplicity, and performance, I don't think you can really beat the motorcraft/autolite carbs. Just my $0.02. Good luck.

OP
OP
Crainbow243

Crainbow243

Disregard that question. Did some research on it.

Thinking the best way to go for just reliable stats and running is fuel injection... FiTech.

Will going to a 4bbl over 2bbl FiTech kill gas mileage? Debating which one to go with.

OP
OP
Crainbow243

Crainbow243

Well I'm debating 2 or 4 barrel options, I dont have an issue replacing the intake manifold. Seems if I do upgrades in the future it's worth getting the 4.

That being said I have read some issues with the Holly sniper... Also FiTech... Which ones are most people going with for a reliably starting/running bronco?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Crainbow243

Crainbow243

UPDATE: Went with the Holley Sniper. I have not installed it yet. Had to get a new gas tank and fuel pump, but I went the whole route with ignition and electronics. Ill update with pictures and info once I get it installed.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If your going to be running trails at high altitude go with a quadrajet. Or fuel injection. I run a Quadrajet fron o to 9000 feet elevation with over than average off road. Starting over i woul go fuel injection.