• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Suggestions on new carb & distributor for my stock 302

Jeff B

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
I need some suggestions for a new carb and ignition set up (distributor, etc.). I have a stock 302 in my 74 and I just bought a new Edelbrock Performer intake manifold. I'm running headers and dual exaust and the motor still runs fairly strong.

What recommendations can you guys give me for adding on to the intake to get a little more power? Also, I need a new exaust behind the headers. Which muffler would work the best? Was thinking of some Flowmasters but I usually run with a bikini top so I don't want to go deaf but still want a nice deep sound that kicks ass.

CARB?
SPACER? (Which brand/what size/where to get [part #])?
DISTRIBUTOR?
IGNITION?
MUFFLERS?

Cost is not a big factor. I'd like to get something that's going to last.

Thanks for the help!

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
BC Broncos Q-jet is best carb for off road. They either have or know the best spacer to use.
Duraspark II is a great distributor, not as pretty as a billet Mallory but equal in performance
A DUI (Davis Unified Ignition) dist is not cheap but includes an integral high output coil and is prolly the easiest to swap in.
Dynomax mufflers are easier on the ears than similar Flowmasters.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D You will get a lot of different answers on this. I run a 625 carter and unlite ing. put it on in 86 and have not had any problems with it and that has been what 18 years. I got them from super shopes warehouse sale the carter was 90.00 new and the unlite was 75.00 and the promaster coil was 25.00 but that was a long time ago. %) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

MI-Bronco

I just installed the BC QJet over a new performer 2121 on my '74 302. I also installed an MSD ignition and have headers and dual exhaust.

The carb is a great carb, but you will need to make some adjustments in air fuel mix and secondary plate positioning as this carb provides a lot of fuel and air for the 302. I also bought the spacer - which you will need. There have been some great tech tips on modifying the spacer to stop the air swirling, but I haven't noticed any reason to do that with mine yet. If you get this setup, you will need a new trans kickdown cable if you have an auto, and you may want to consider a new throttle cable. BC has both.

I installed the MSD ready-to-run distributor. Probably overkill (cost was $350 at Ramchargers), but it looks nice and the truck runs great. I did not install an ignition control (e.g. MSD 6A) as the ready to run has one.

I installed the Duffs dual exhaust - which I don't recommend. They use Cherry bomb mufflers which are ok, but the Flowmasters give a better more reasonat sound (like mustang 5.0). The other issue is that the Duff' tail pipes rusted after taking them out of the box. Their site shows that the current dual exhaust is different - more resistant to corrosion.

Hope that helps - good luck

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Duraspark II and a Autolite 4100 with 1.08 venturis.

Work great, good mileage lots of power.

TOFIC

bronco977

Loc.
Bakersfield
I have the Edelbrock performer carb with the off-road needle and seat, on a Performer manifold. It has made a huge difference in response and power. At the same time I installed a Pertronics kit, firing through a Holley Anihilator coil. That really made big difference, and it was really easy to install. I went with the Pertronics because I had a recently put in a rebuilt stock distributor. I have a Mallory Digital-6 box waiting to be installed as well. Kind of a Frankenstein approach, but it all works very well together.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
First throw a K&N air filter on it. We run a carter (same as edelbrock performer) carb on our 66 with flowmasters. Runs great but the flowmasters have met the cops a few times. The carb runs great on the road but not so ht off road. On my 72 I went with the q-jet. Still haven't fine tuned it but it works way better off road. I also went with the all stainless borla mufflers so I don't get pulled over every 2 blocks. They have a nice low rumble but not so loud if you touch the gas.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Holley Truck Avenger
Edelbrock Performer Intake
MSD Pro-Billet Dist.
MSD Off-Road Ignition
Dynomax Ultraflow Duals (stainless steel)

vrooooooommm

;)