• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Survey..................How'd you get your EB?

Thought that this might be fun and interestng..

Tell us about how you came across your EB.......(found it in a barn, saw it in some old ladies' garage gathering dust, got it in a trade, etc...)

I'm sure there are some interesting stories to be told out there. Include how much you paid for it, and whether you think you got a good deal or not.

Use as little or as much detail as you like.

Have fun reading the posts!!

:)

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
My Dad bought the one I have now several years ago for $1200 and only did the necessary repairs that needed to be done...so for the next 7 or so years it went down hill. I had a Heep I was about to start on when my Mom called me and said don't star on the Heep yet, my Dad had just got an 86 F250 with a diesel..so they were dropping registration and insurance on the Bronco.. Well a $1 later I owned the Bronco that needed EXTENSIVE TLC. I still haven't paid him his $1, so I told him I would always owe him... ;D

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i had an old '70 F-100 4x4 that i had been building up for a few years. i had a back injury and it hurt to drive that truck afterwards.

my dad had one of the first '66 broncos ever built, and i wanted one ever since i saw that one.

i told a friend of mine i wanted one, and he told me of one of his customers who had one. i went to see her, and made a deal. i got it for $4,000.00.

4 years later, it's finally almost the way i want it.

OP
OP

I got my '77 from a guy at work. I just happend to overhear that the guy had one sitting at home and just asked him how he liked it, not expecting what would come later..One day he asked me if I would trade my '89 Mustang GT (bone stock, 165k miles) for it, straight up. Yes couldn't come out of my mouth fast enough. It was a done deal before 6pm that evening.

His brother in law freaked when he told him what he did. I felt kinda bad for doing it, but not that bad. The funny thing is, he got tired of the mustang after about two months and put it up for sale, and my brother in law bought it, so it's still in the family.

Trade Value: about $2,500
77 Bronco condition, probably quite a bit better than average. All stock except for Duff power brake setup and rear fender flares.

The top had never even been off the 2nd owner rig.

;D

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
How I got "Cricket"

A friend of mine in another city knew I was looking for a Bronco. He knew another guy who knew another guy who was selling his. Told buddy to go get it. He phoned two hours later and said I owned it. Took me 3 and a half years to get mine. Was worth the wait.
TOFIC

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
My Grandfather bought mine new and gave it to me before he passed away. I had tried for years just to buy it from him, but he loved it and drove it every day. Then his doctor told him that it was not safe for him to drive any more, then I got the call to come and get it. What a great gift!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I got my 73 from my dad which he bought new.I traded him a 62 F100 for it straight across.
My 71 was sitting by the hiway for sale talked the guy down to $2800 from $3500 and drove it home.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Great topic, certainly some interesting stories here.

I currently have two Early Broncos. My trail rig is the evolution of a '75 that I originally bought from my cousin back in '95 or so. I think I originally paid $2200 for it. Both of my brothers had EB's and I wanted one too. It was an uncut stocker that ran good but had serious cancer. I wheeled it for a year then began to tear it down for a frame-off build up. Most of the sheetmetal was trashed so I cut it up and slowly fed it to the trash truck a little each week. Well I found a good deal on a '71 tub and frame neaby (traded my old '61 CJ5 for it) so I used it for my buildup, re-using most of the drivetrain from the '75 and registering it as a '71. During the early stages of the rebuild, a friend of my brother's who lived up in Oregon lost interest in his Bronco project and wanted to sell the pieces. He had a '70 that was mostly stock but had gathered up a '95 OJ Bronco 5.8 motor and all of the GT40/mass air conversion stuff for it. I WANTED that motor so I dragged my trailer up to Oregon and brought the whole thing back down with me. The deal I made was that I would buy the motor out of it then he could sell the rest of it here in So Cal where the market was hotter. So I used the 5.8l in my rig and continued the buildup. It took me about 5 years from tear-down until I finally had it back together and drivable. In the years since it has undergone several more phases of modifications and now the only parts that are still left on it from the original '75 Bronco I started with are the C4 transmission and (believe it or not) the radiator. The rig is once again currently back up on jack stands for another round of renovations, which will probably spell the end of those last couple of items from the Bronco I started out with.

My other Bronco is another interesting story. Remember that one I got the motor out of? Well its been in my back yard all these years(7 or so years, I think), the guy who owned it never really showed much interest in it and never tried to sell off the rest of it. Recently my wife began bugging me about getting her a Bronco that was more "driver friendly" than my trail rig had become. Of course our sights both set on the one that was already in our back yard grown over in the weeds. It had a very straight, nearly rust-free body and was very complete except for the motor being gone, plus a few other small parts I had "borrowed" off of it over the years. So I called the guy who owned it a couple weeks ago and made a deal on it, $2,000. For the last few weeks we've been gathering up parts for it to bring it back to life. Its been a fun project so far. I did manage to keep the old 302 out of my original '75 all these years, which will now go into this rig. I'm amazed at how easy it is to work on a fairly stock Bronco again. I can just bolt stuff on without having to fabricate a bracket or order some custom part like I have to do every time I do something on my trail rig. I had also forgotten what it was like to work on a vintage vehicle that hadn't seen any attention for many years, with all the bolts rusted and siezed on, dirt, dead leaves and rat crap falling off into your face whenever you bang on something, etc. Its also nice to be able to acquire parts without breaking the bank. Anything I do on the trail rig is extremely expensive since only the hard core stuff will do. But putting together a mostly street, mild trail use Bronco I'm able to gather lots of parts out of people's junk piles for free or really cheap. This one should be running within a couple of weeks. We're trying to just get it roadworthy so we have something to take out and have fun in while my trail rig is down during its current phase of mods. Once this one is running I'll turn my attention back to the trail rig and finish it up, then start working on some more proper mods and cosmetics for the '70.

Dusty

MountainGuy

Loc.
Athens, Georgia
I saw mine sitting under a tree away from a used car dealership. I went and looked at and talked to the guy at the dealership to see how much he wanted; he told me 1800.00 because "it was kind of an ugly truck" ;D ... I offered him 1500.00 and DROVE it home.....Now that i've got about 8 or 9 Thousand in it it's getting to be the Bronco i've always wanted.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Found mine listed in a newspaper. Still have the ad. Kid picked it up and built his first engine. 302 with dual 600 CFM edelbrocks on it. Made him a deal, he can keep the engine, I buy the truck.. Front body mounts were out and he sent the fan through the radiator on the way over to my place. Rolled up on a tow truck. Pulled his engine and shoved the Bronco into parking for about 6 months until I got my engine together.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Number 1: I searched for about a month for mine. After looking at several that were overpriced I found a 69 listed for sale for about $5000. This was more than I was willing to pay but I figured I would call anyway. Since it was close to 200 miles away I did a bit of negotiating over the phone and he came down to about $4000 before I even went to look at it. I decided that based on what he said it was worth taking the trip. While I was looking at it he dropped to $3500 even before I made him an offer. I offered him $3000 and we settled on $3200. He gave me a book of receipts to go with it that totaled close to $10,000.

Recently rebuilt 302
Rebuilt transfer case
New drivelines
Duff Power Brakes
Duff long link traction bars
C4 tranny
Power steering added
Dana 44 frontend
4.56 gears with Power Lock in front and Detroit Locker in back
Custom 4x4 tube rock sliders
replaced floorboards
custom roll bar
etc.

Initially I figured I would just add a set of 35" tires and possible put EFI in it. That didn't last long though.

Number 2: The second one I picked up when one of the new 35" tires I put on had the sidewall gashed by a tree on the side of the trail. When I took it in to warranty the tire the guy at the counter mentioned having one in his garage that he was trying to sell. I asked him how much and he said $500. I went over later that day and after I looked at it offered him $300 which he accepted. After selling about $420 in parts off it and using what I wanted from it (door inserts, tailight housings, etc.) I gave the body and frame to my brother. He slammed a set of full size axles under it to bring it back from the dead. It still needs a bunch of cosmetic work but the drivetrain is sound and has already been trail tested. The old motor in it smokes a little but with EFI dropped on it it does okay.

chromeyellow

Loc.
Lecompte, Louisiana
I Paid Fifty Dollars For My First 72 About 8 Years Ago And When I Drug It Home My Wife Told Me I Paid Too Much Money. It Was Not Real Clean. Lol. Now I Wouldn't Take $15,000 For It. It's Been The Best Stress Relief Money Can Buy.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In order of model year, not when acquired:

66 - stock uncut truck sitting abandoned at edge of a farm field in Va for years..so many years, in fact, we had to cut down several trees to get it out and on the trailer. Free; owner said "it will never run again..we tried". Got it home and had that 170 running in about 4 hours..been running fine for about 5 years now doing duty as my 'yard vehicle'..4WD works great too.

67 - Bought as part of a 'package deal' from a guy in Murphy, NC. Project truck currently under construction as mainly trail toy

68 - bought as parts truck..will be 'used up' sooner or later and frame is the basis for another trail rig under construction now..400 conversion rig.

69 - My main squeeze. Bought from son of original Kanasa owner. I drove it daily (halfcab) for years but when it started to rust out in all the usual places I built it up as my main trail rig. Has a 400 stuffed in it.

71 - another parts-only truck I bought (running though) from a guy just up the road from me who had always figured on restoring it but finally realized the body was way too far gone.(he bought it new and let it go with tears in his eyes)

72 - bought locally also and turned it in to an MX racing truck; after 6 seasons of severe racing punishment it is finally retired (to be fair to the truck..the driver retired first after sustaining serious injury doing something stupid in the truck. ;D ) and being parted out of all its goodies for other projects

76 - PS/PB 3-sp 302 truck that is in superb condition (100% stock except for cut in rear) and part of the Murphy deal I noted earlier; My son's ride...he is only 8 but hard-core Bronco fanatic and wheeling nut already. Converting to half-cab with the top that came off my '69 when I converted it to hard-core trail rig. Also installing a C-4 in place of the 3-speed.

I think that is all of 'em...sold a couple others along the way too.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
My first job out of college was in Reno. At the time, the only car I owned was a '64-1/2 Mustang. About two weeks prior to relocating to Reno to start working, I got t-boned in my Mustang which left it in an undrivable condition (my fault, didn't see a stop sign). I'd wanted a Bronco for a couple of years after learning about them from a friend who bought one, and being the "intelligent" young man that I was, I used the wrecked Mustang as an excuse to buy my Bronco so I could have a four wheel drive vehicle for the snowy mornings we had in Reno in the Winter time. Funny the excuses you come up with to buy something sometimes :) Anyhow, after a month and a half of looking, I found my '69 on Autotrader.com. Had a roommate drive me the 150 miles to take a look at it. The guy was asking $5000 for a mostly stock EB (rear was cut, had a set of 32s, and the 3 speed had the floor shifter conversion). The only glaring problem was that it needed a carb rebuild. I talked the guy down to $4000 and drove it 150 miles home sputtering carb and all. Looking back, I probably could have talked the guy down another $500 - $800, but considering that I've put another $8000 into it since then, I can't really complain about $500. And I've still got that Mustang that was wrecked which has long since been fixed and driveable.

4x4babygirl

Bronco Goddess
Loc.
Tanasi
My friend Charlie bought my truck from a park ranger (it was originally a forest service truck) when we were in college and I always thought it was SO cool, since I was madly in love with my 89 FSB already. He traveled around South America after school, and I always offered to buy it when we would e-mail and such, since he was out of the country and it was sitting at his dad's house under a pine tree going to waste. Ole Chuck always quoted me a price way too high, because he didn't want to come off it, and it was mostly a joke in between us anyway.

At the first of this year, Charlie moved to Asheville, NC to start his own business (The Organic Mechanic) and in March found himself a '72 Land Cruiser he wanted. So he called me first and said I could have the Bronco for $2000. I had just gotten a bonus at work, so I wrote him a check and drove it down the mountain on a trailer with no brakes in the sleet, but that's another story.

Other than the pine sap and some needles and a very little bit of rust and dry rotted tires, he was in good shape. He started right up for me. Now, on to building the Bronco of my dreams, right?

Here's what he looked like one week after I brought him home, plus some new-to-him tires:

66bronco5.jpg

Last edited:

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I started out a couple of years ago looking for a FJ, Scout, or a CJ8. Something different than your run of the mill Jeep to wheel with. I was in the break room one night looking through the truck trader when a fella I work with told me I needed to come over and look at his EB. I really wasn't looking for a Bronco and was kind of hesitant about looking at. So after a week or so I stopped in and looked at it sitting under a tree cover in dirt and mildew. $2500 and she was mine. What can you say accidents happen for a reason sometime.

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
I bought my first one back in 1990 from my sister for $3200. She was way over her head with it & it need some TLC. I loved that rig. Sold it for around $5000 a few years later. Got my 70 last year for $2500 locally. It was a mess, but had potential (LOL). My buddy & went together on a rusted pile of garbage, just prior to my purchase of the 70, that had been sitting for 10 years. We paid $450 for it (about $400 too much). That is what got me looking around for one of my own again. Now I'm totally obsessed, like every one else on this board.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got my 94 bronco and found out it's not as capable as I thought. So after awhile I started looking for another 4x4, not a bronco and didn't even know there was an early bronco until I search the net and found bronco.com.

This was in 1997 going 1998 and I learned all about what 66-77 was all about. Went through bronco.com's classify and found a stock 68 listing for $3k. The guy listing it was a friend of the owner and he told me everything about the truck since he was keeping it for the owner and even did maintenance on it. Long story short, I called up the owner and asked how much. Well he said he couldn't take less then $2k so I offered $2400. To my suprise, he agreeded. Shoot! I should of started with 2100. Uh well what can you do.

Called transport co. and arranged delievery from somewhere in Ca to the great state of Tejas... three weeks later it arrived in Big D. It was love at first sight, the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I've never asked for pictures or even care what it looked like. I was not disappointed. And that how I got ahold of my 68.

Eugene

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
I got my Bronco in 1981 for $2500. I drove it for my Daily driver for several years. It mostly sat for several more years, worked on it occasionally, while I was away at college, then I got married, then we had kids.. So now I am working on it again and loving it.. Everytime I get close to getting it on the rode I decide to do something else to it. So one day soon hopefully she will be out of the garage and back on the trails.

I bought 2 more Bronco recently for parts, a 74 and 75.

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
well i started looking for a project when i was 13 my dad had done the same thing when he was a kid with a 54 F 100 pickup, and i always thought it was super cool,
anywaysso i started and was looking for everything scouts trucks jeeps i didnt know what the heck any of them were or looked like or what was good, started leaning on the broncos and my dad was pushing me for a big bronco like 80s cuz parts are more commonly shared with the pickups. but for somereason i seemed content to have an eraly style so we eventually saw one int he paper and calle don it, it wa sin washington and we drove out to look at it.
sitting in a "junk yard almost" the people thought they wer elike a bronco wrecking yard. but really they had a few good broncos of thier own and a bunch of crap cars. looked at the bronco sitting by a dump truck, and talked to them, it had no grill, 4 shades of blue, and had been layed down on the driver side, the top was ruined and the tailgate was in sad shape, needed a windshield too,
anyways got it for 2300 too much oh and it needed a rear driveline we towed it home after putting it in front to get it on the dolley.
its been my baby since and an awsome truck and experience
just the other day someone tried to trade me for an 02 mustang GT i just laughed and said no thanks