• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

suspension not getting full travel

racetra

Loc.
Arnold Ca
I have a 3.5 lift. I jusst fabbed up some upper shock mounts for longer shocks. If I jack up the back of my truck straight from center of bumper (to extend shocks and springs to their maximum) it is fine.
If I pull one side of the front up a ramp, I get good articulation in the rear but not full articulation. It seem that the springs get hung up as one side drops and the other side stuffs up in the wheel well. The springs seem to want to twist towards the side stuffed up in the well. Does that make sense.
any thoughts?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Thats pretty much how springs work when one side drops down and the other doesnt something has to twist. If you just have to have that extra flex then maybe you will want to consider spring rockers. Also a lot of guys use rubber bushings and leave the shackles a little looser.

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
A couple of things I have seen is tightening the bolts too tight. They dont need to be gorilla tight. You want things to move. Also, using rubber bushings instead of the neopreme or what ever they are, offer more flex.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And look closely at your parking brake cables. When they get close to their limit, even if they look like they still have some slack, they're imparting a LOT of resistance to suspension movement.
And if your leaf spring packs are using the bend-over type spring clamps, they reduce the packs ability to "fan" apart. Thereby limiting suspension movement as well.

Just another couple of things to look at, if you haven't already.

Paul