• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Syeering Stabilizers - Who has the best???

idus25

Loc.
St. Louis
Need to purchase a Steering Stabilizer for my 76. Who prefers what??

Running GM 1 Ton tie rod and drag link, Dana 44.

Thanks in advance.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't remember ever seeing a comparison test with brands or suppliers listed. And since many here consider the stabilizer shock kind of an item of minimal importance to their builds, and that there probably is not a huge difference between the different brands to begin with, it hasn't been a priority.

Are you experiencing trouble now, or just want to put one back on?
Do you still have the stock brackets? Have you seen how they would be able to fit your particular setup? Who's steering linkage is it? A custom one, or one of the kits? Might not make a difference, but I'm curious.

Based on your choice of linkage I'm guessing you want a full kit with brackets? If so, that usually rules out stock replacements in most cases, unless you include custom mounting of the driver's side bracket to the draglink.
Some of the mainstream aftermarket kits, such as Rancho or Superlift or ProComp, in the "universal" series will have one bracket that clamps to the axle tube and the other that clamps to the tie-rod itself. Those would be the only "bolt-on" setups for yours that I know of, unless one of the metal fab manufacturers has some kits for the larger tubing size you've got.
And even then, the term "bolt-on" might be a little loose, since the u-bolts that most of the old-school companies utilize would not be sized correctly for your larger tubes. Hence the mention of the custom fab bracket suppliers.

Maybe Ruff-Stuff Specialties or someone similar would have something ready to fit to your style of steering because they sell the steering kits too.
I haven't looked before, but now you've got me curious.

Or just use all the stock stuff and figure out how to mount the left bracket to the draglink yourself. Would make replacing the shock easier in the future perhaps. Just not sure how well it can adapt (location-wise) to the new larger draglink.

Sorry I'm no help. But interested to see what others have done. Lots of members using that linkage, but I think of those very few that have added a stabilizer.
I'm sure someone has done it though, so maybe they can pop in with pictures and all.

Good luck.

Paul

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Most stabilizers are just a cheap shock with the same rebound and compression damping...pick one and done.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I'm running one of those clear ones. I took mine off and never looked back. Mine drives better without it running 35s.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Many don't need one. They may mask/hide some steering issues. If everything is right you "will not" need one,
BUT.....big but here...
BUT they are a safety device. They can help prevent kick back of the wheel off road and may serve you well if you have a blow out.
I wouldn't go without one. Just get one that matches your other shocks.

OP
OP
idus25

idus25

Loc.
St. Louis
Thanks all. Running 35's with TR Beadlocks. There is one patch of road near my home where I get death wobble. So I took her in to the local 4x4 shop today to get an alignment. Trackbar bushings are new.

Turns out she needed new ball joints as well as wheel bearings. Oh well. Should be done this pm.

However I only asked about the steering stabilizer because the shop manager suggested I put one BACK ON. He said it would help the on road/off-road handling. Shall see if notice any pros or cons.

Thanks again.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Wow ball joints and bearings...
Prolly gonna be pretty expensive.
But death wobble sucks and you gotta do what you gotta do to get rid of it.

I agree, put a stabilizer on it. It will not reduce or remove death wobble but as stated above it is a good safety device that prevents your steering box from taking on "all" of the vibration and impacts.

ame

A stabilizer with a IFP ( Internal Floating Piston) is far more effective then any emulsion style where the oil and nitrogen are mixed. I have played with a lot of steering dampers for other applications and would suggest a good IFP stabilizer like Bilstien or Fox over a cheaper emulsions shock if you actually want it to be for more then looks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But no matter what, you still have to figure out a mounting scheme.
Anyone put one on their GM 1-ton steering setup yet?

And with luck your DW's will be reduced, or better still, eliminated temporarily. But they will always be in the background, waiting to be allowed to crop up again as long as you have the same tires.
That's assuming of course that you're having the full-blown DW's each time? Is it literally shaking the steering wheel out of your hand and making you pull the speed down to just a few mph? Or is it still at the "just wobbling" stage?

If full-blown DW's and the new bearings and ball joints don't kill it, try rotating the tires.
Hopefully when you try that stretch of road that brings it on, you get through it unscathed.

Paul

OP
OP
idus25

idus25

Loc.
St. Louis
But no matter what, you still have to figure out a mounting scheme.
Anyone put one on their GM 1-ton steering setup yet?

And with luck your DW's will be reduced, or better still, eliminated temporarily. But they will always be in the background, waiting to be allowed to crop up again as long as you have the same tires.
That's assuming of course that you're having the full-blown DW's each time? Is it literally shaking the steering wheel out of your hand and making you pull the speed down to just a few mph? Or is it still at the "just wobbling" stage?

If full-blown DW's and the new bearings and ball joints don't kill it, try rotating the tires.
Hopefully when you try that stretch of road that brings it on, you get through it unscathed.

Paul

It WAS full blown Death Wobble. However, after spending nearly a grand today drove over that same parch of road several times at different speeds and it has disappeared. Steering Stabilizer on order. I fabled up a brake today which should U-bolt to the link end just past the nut. Shall see for fitment when it comes in.

Thanks again y'all.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Not only is it good for kickback, it is good for the life of those expensive power steering boxes and helps minimize the chances of cracking the frame.

You should be able to drive without one. You should not notice it on the street at all if it is there or not in normal driving. But it can help parts (vehicle and human) from being damaged if it is there.

About the only time I would recommend against one in a Bronco is if there is an assist ram installed. For impact loads it will do the same thing a steering damper will do, which makes it a bit redundant.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I'm running the ruffstuff 1ton with the heims and had to fab some newly designed mounts to help keep the stabilizer horizontal with the tie rod. Its just a cheap rough country, off ebay, but so far so good. ;D

Attachments

• IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 61

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
On my GM based 1 ton steering I had to weld a tab to the top drag link joint (at the pitman arm end) to mount the stabilizer to.

Attachments

• 2017-01-08 13.05.10.jpg
    2017-01-08 13.05.10.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 61

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Can't blow your picture up enough on my phone Fordguy. It looks like on the passenger side by the adjuster sleeve has a flat spot with the mounting hole. Difference being my truck's have it reversed with the hole on the drivers side. The other side is mounted to tabs welded to the housing.

Yours is up out of harms way.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Can't blow your picture up enough on my phone Fordguy. It looks like on the passenger side by the adjuster sleeve has a flat spot with the mounting hole. Difference being my truck's have it reversed with the hole on the drivers side. The other side is mounted to tabs welded to the housing.

Yours is up out of harms way.

Mine didn't have any mounting holes at all so I just welded a small tab on the top link by the pitman arm for that end of the stabilizer. The other end is mounted to the stock factory mount on the cross member. I can take a better picture if it will help.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
If there is no hole then you wouldn't want to be adding one.
You've got a good working steering I would be happy and leave it as is.

That information may help someone with the hole and looking for a mounting point.