• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

T-Bird EFI Conversion Question

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I've acquired the parts from a '91 T-Bird mass air system. I'm getting ready to do my EFI conversion on my 302 but I have a few questions first before I proceed. I know that this is a mass air system, but I'm not clear what differences exist between the '91-'93 T-Bird mass air system and the '89-'93 mass air mustangs.

Is the '91 T-Bird engine also a HO engine like the Mustang (and does it use the 351 firing order)?

Are there any significant differences in Mustang versus the T-Bird EFI systems (e.g. fuel injectors, electronics)?

Can I run an '89-'93 Mustang computer with my T-Bird system? If so, is there any advantage to doing so?

My plan is to do a cam change to an EFI HO cam and to purchase a custom wiring harness from Ryan McCormick. I just want to make sure I'm on the right track and have all the correct parts to do the job right. Any feedback is appreciated.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ryan should be your best source for computer swaps and parts interchangabilty between t-bird and stangs.

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
91-93 T-Bird EFI is more like the 94-95 Mustang EFI
Same wiring harness and computers can be used.

The problem is they are slower than the 89-93 Mustang computers, intake flows less a ir, and the harness is different.

All the 91-93 T-bird and 94-95 Mustang engine parts and sensors can be used with a 89-93 Mustang computer. The 89-93 Mustang computer would make it run a little better.
I can make my harness all of those computers, just let me know.

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
<<<THREAD HI-JACK>>>

Will the MAF from the TBIRD work well with explorer/GT components?

(ie. I have an explorer set up .. complete... but used the MAF from a TBIRD... will that screw me up at all?)

maverickconner

Ryan is right on again, the T-bird and the XR-7 cougar setup(which I used on my 72) are more like the 94-95 mustangs...the intakes are the same, the injector setups are the same, and the egr setups are the same.....Ryan, correct me if I am wrong, but the setup will need the computer with it,,,,, the A9 and other such mustang computers are pinned differently, however, the wiring was fairly simple to setup,,, only 4 wires instead of the 3 wires required juice to them...weeding out the unnessesary pieces,,, was the biggest headache...

with this setup, I would definately make sure I had matching everything....even the fan and water pump are different

Labbster

So if he uses all the t-bird parts and uses a GT40 Upper and a Mustang computer with Ryan's harness, he will have basically the Mustang setup? Anything else different?

I'm thinking about using this same set up on a 351w and get a GT40 lower.

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
maverickconner said:
Ryan, correct me if I am wrong, but the setup will need the computer with it,,,,, the A9 and other such mustang computers are pinned differently
He needs to have a matching computer and harness, that is all.
Labbster said:
So if he uses all the t-bird parts and uses a GT40 Upper and a Mustang computer with Ryan's harness, he will have basically the Mustang setup?
People are getting tied up on names agian. I do not consider an EFI swap to be from any 1 vehicle. Mix and match what you can afford and what will perform.

You can pick almost any set up, I don't want to type out the second EFI article in Bronco Driver agian. Go read it!
I built a harness for:
T-bird MAF computer
Truck intake
using 1 O2 sensor
It all worked, not the prettiest thing, but the customer could afford all the parts.

OP
OP
72bronco

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I did a little more research on the t-bird versus mustang efi setups. One key difference is that the t-bird upper intake is smaller and sits lower, which was necessary due to the smaller engine compartment. The later '94-'95 5.0 mustangs went to the t-bird setup because the new body styling created hood clearance issues. Obviously there were other differences as well.

The '89-'93 mustang intake was better flowing and produced a net horsepower rating of 225 hp. When the mustang went to the t-bird setup on the 5.0 the horspower rating dropped to 215 hp. So it seems that the '89-'93 mustang setup will give you somewhat better performance, but the t-bird setup will fit better under the hood if there are clearance issues.

Bronco71

Loc.
Farmers Branch, TX
I used a '89-'93 mustang HO upper & lower with a 1" spacer in between. It fit under stock hood with a 1' to 1 1/2" body lift and throttle body to the passenger side. I used an earlier speed density harness and did the mass air conversion to it. Various other parts are from different cars from the wrecking yard. It's about 80% complete now; pics in my gallery! David

OP
OP
72bronco

72bronco

Bronco Guru
The t-bird MASS Air meter is 55mm, which is the same size as the mustang.

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
Ryan said:
Yes it will.

um which?? :)
Will my Explorer TB/upper/lower and Tbird MAF (everything else 93'GT) cause problems?
**OR**
will I be ok?

asking mainly because I am under the impression that the Explorer TB is a bigger diameter than the Tbird MAF

Bronco71

Loc.
Farmers Branch, TX
I always thought that the MAF and the T. body size had to be the same and depended on the injector size too. But I am not real experienced at this!

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Bronco71 said:
I always thought that the MAF and the T. body size had to be the same and depended on the injector size too. But I am not real experienced at this!
Nope. Whichever on is the smallest will be the limiting factor on airflow. I.E. If you added a 200mm TB (if they even make one) and a 55mm MAF unit then it would let in the same air as having both at 55mm. The MAF sensor does need to be calibrated for the injectors that are used though. It does make sense to keep them both at the same size but if the TB is 55mm and the MAF unit is 70mm it will still work but will be restricted to 55 mm by the TB.

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
67EB_in_619 said:
um which?? :)
Will my Explorer TB/upper/lower and Tbird MAF (everything else 93'GT) be ok?

asking mainly because I am under the impression that the Explorer TB is a bigger diameter than the Tbird MAF

The 89-93 Mustang and 91-93 T-Bird use the exact same MAF sensor.
The Exploder TB/upper/lower with T-Bird MAF will be a great combo!

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
Bronco71 said:

The MAF signal and injector size have to match the computers program.

You can use a larger throttle body without worry
You can use a larger MAF if it's output signal matches your computers program.

For good performance, you want the MAF larger than the throttle.
Actually you want the air flow path to grow the further away from the intake valve. So if the MAF is mounted right to the throttle they can be the same size. Move the MAF 3 feet out, it should be much larger.

Personally my 5.8L punched out to 363 uses a 75mm throttle body and a 90mm MAF sensor. But it's all programed into the computer ;D ;) :cool: