• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

T case removal - NEED HELP

leander77

Loc.
Leander, Tx
I'm trying to remove the T-case from my '77. I have the driveshafts removed etc., but need help with the t-case shifter removal. From the cab side, I see that the shifter goes into a ball and socket type of joint. Do I need to remove the housing that holds this joint? Also need to know if the t-case comes out with the intermediate housing in tact, or if the t-case will come out separately from the intermediate housing. I've looked at the site's articles on this, but what I see is evidently from a different year model and things don't look the same. A general description of the procedure would be good. Maybe someone has pics of the shifter assembly that would help me figure out how to get it out of there.
Thanks in advance.;)

OP
OP
leander77

leander77

Loc.
Leander, Tx
OK, looks like it will come off separate from intermediate housing. I'll pursue that route. May have to cut the floor to get to it. Thanks for the links. Still unclear on disconnecting the shifter from the t-case. There is a rubber boot that covers the linkage, so I can't see what needs to come off. Any help on removing the shifter?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There are 2 bolts holding the shifter on from the driver's side. One screws into the adapter and the other goes through it and has a nut on the other side.

Attachments

• Bronco 477.jpg
    Bronco 477.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 20

travis77

Loc.
Pasadena MD
I did this today. I have a 77 as well. Shifter comes off with the 2 bolts on the right side. I had to cut the tunnel some to make it easier. As I understand it, if you remove the case with the adapter, it prevents the bearings from falling into the case. Not so when separated. Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

travis77

Loc.
Pasadena MD
here's 2 j shifters the way they should look when they come out.

Attachments

• HPIM0074.jpg
    HPIM0074.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 19