• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Taking a walk on the Wildside!(updated with finished pics!)

calhoun555

Loc.
Sedalia, MO
O.K., I've had a few threads on here with some of my problems in the past, and appreciate all the help from you guys. I appreciate all you guys who have tried everything before me and making a path for everyone else just getting a Bronco. I just got back from Iraq and have been on a warpath with fixin-up my rig. I purchased my Bronco from this site from Cracker in August of 2005. I left for Iraq in Jan. 2006, so didn't have to much time to do alot before I left. Two days after geting back I found out I have orders to Misawa Japan, and I will have to put my Bronco in storage for about 3 years. I want to have everything done before it goes into hybernation.

I'm a proud owner of a 71' sport UNCUT! I have wanted one sense I was 4 years old. It was pretty much as stock as you can get with the exception of the mirrors and the map lighting. So far I've added power steering from a 74', tinted the windows, center console with CD player, completly painted the undercarage black, added 1" body lift, replaced hubs for Warn Prem., added gas shocks for my lift gate, got factory hubcaps, and had to clean and polish for about 3 weeks straight. I have put alot of work in it like most every other person on the earth with these vehicles. This morning is payday for us military members, so I have a 3.5" suspension lift on the way as we speak. I have a set of 33x12.50 coming soon, and yes it will stay UNCUT! I will never take it off road, so this will just be for show. I have seen alot of people on here running 33x12.50's and still uncut, and I like what I see!!!

So if any of you have this set up or running 33x12.50's UNCUT, send some pics of your rigs and any advise of what to look for when doing this, I would appreciate it greatly. I will be posting pics of my rig in a few weeks when its all put together and I figure out how to post pics. LOL

Thanks again, Jon

Last edited:

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Unless you have some custom wheels made, you're not going to be able to use those 12.50s with it uncut. Too wide.
10.50 is pretty much the limit widthwise. 33s only if they are 9.50 wide.
31x10.50x15 MTRs on stock wheels and lift is the setup on my '76.
I'd love to see you do it, but just giving you a heads up that I don't know anyone how has made that combo work yet. Keep us posted. Uncuts rule!

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
You can find some pretty aggressive 33X9.50X15 " tires. 12.50s will not fit. 10.5s will with some tweaking of the lip on the rear inner fenders. This is verified time and again, try a search, if you dont believe...it wont work, if you dont want to CUT it. So, dont order 33X12.50s. Good luck in Japan.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i just replaced the rear suspension on this uncut. we took the stock leafs off and put 3.5" leafs on. these pics are with 31-10.50's on 7" rims;

Attachments

• DSCN0729.JPG
    DSCN0729.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN0730.JPG
    DSCN0730.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
calhoun555

calhoun555

Loc.
Sedalia, MO
trailpsycho said:
You can find some pretty aggressive 33X9.50X15 " tires. 12.50s will not fit. 10.5s will with some tweaking of the lip on the rear inner fenders. This is verified time and again, try a search, if you dont believe...it wont work, if you dont want to CUT it. So, dont order 33X12.50s. Good luck in Japan.

taxx has accomplished this feet. He has done this with it appears to 15x8" rims with 3.75" backspacing. That's not fact, just what I can tell from reading his thread. We would have the same total amount of lift, and I'm not trying to argue, BELIEVE ME I'VE LOOKED! I'm just saying that some one has done this and I would like to try to do the same. Please don't think I'm trying to be hard headed or anything. All advise and commare welcome! Here's a link to a pic of his ride. (I hope you don't mind me using it!)

http://www.haughs.net/gallery/albums..._001.sized.jpg

Tuck

calhoun555 said:
Yep, munitions.

Cool. I was (will be again next year) an F-16 crew chief. My daughter wants to go to Misawa bad, but I've come too far on the EB to go somewhere it can't. I may have to ship it to Korea for trip #3 though. You need a tank over there.

OP
OP
calhoun555

calhoun555

Loc.
Sedalia, MO
Tuck said:
Cool. I was (will be again next year) an F-16 crew chief. My daughter wants to go to Misawa bad, but I've come too far on the EB to go somewhere it can't. I may have to ship it to Korea for trip #3 though. You need a tank over there.

I agree. I could take mine with me but it's in to good of shape to risk something happening to it. I also considered selling it to the locals when I got over there, then I slapped myself in the face for that stupid idea. Like I said before I wanted one since I was 4, and now I have what I want so why sell it! It will be a nice present to myself when I get home.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
calhoun555 said:
taxx has accomplished this feet. He has done this with it appears to 15x8" rims with 3.75" backspacing. That's not fact, just what I can tell from reading his thread. We would have the same total amount of lift, and I'm not trying to argue, BELIEVE ME I'VE LOOKED! I'm just saying that some one has done this and I would like to try to do the same. Please don't think I'm trying to be hard headed or anything. All advise and commare welcome! Here's a link to a pic of his ride. (I hope you don't mind me using it!)

http://www.haughs.net/gallery/albums..._001.sized.jpg

Calhoun-

I know Taxx personallywe are friends. I was there after he replaced the fender, before he cut it off. Will the tire fit in the wheel well...sure, can you drive it? No. Unless you have a very stiff suspension, which you wont like--trust me, I have had and driven my Bronco for 12 yrs, you will be rubbing your tires alot on the wheel well. I had cut rears and I could still rub the rear tires with 31X10.50s if it bottomed out hard enough. The 12.50s will contact the uncut fenders with only minor flexing (speed bumps, etc)...and trust me, you will want to drive it---hard...you may not want to wheel it, but after you finish building it, you will get a kick out of the power and performance and you will drive it hard and --if you try to run 12.50s, you will tear them up and foul your new paint job at the uncut wheel wells. I am not trying to get on your case, rather trying to let you know this is an old topic, thats been brougth up and beat down many times. I dont know why it would turn out differently for you. Good luck with whatever you decide.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77213

Here's an old thread with some good pics and info for you uncut junkies out there. :)
No one is trying to discourage you, Calhouny---DIFFERENT THOUGHT IS GOOD.
But like trailpsycho said, we don't want to see you throwing good money away as the tires and quarters meet like nails on a chalkboard when you get flexed up. Have fun with it! :cool:

OP
OP
calhoun555

calhoun555

Loc.
Sedalia, MO
trailpsycho said:
Calhoun-

I know Taxx personallywe are friends. I was there after he replaced the fender, before he cut it off. Will the tire fit in the wheel well...sure, can you drive it? No. Unless you have a very stiff suspension, which you wont like--trust me, I have had and driven my Bronco for 12 yrs, you will be rubbing your tires alot on the wheel well. I had cut rears and I could still rub the rear tires with 31X10.50s if it bottomed out hard enough. The 12.50s will contact the uncut fenders with only minor flexing (speed bumps, etc)...and trust me, you will want to drive it---hard...you may not want to wheel it, but after you finish building it, you will get a kick out of the power and performance and you will drive it hard and --if you try to run 12.50s, you will tear them up and foul your new paint job at the uncut wheel wells. I am not trying to get on your case, rather trying to let you know this is an old topic, thats been brougth up and beat down many times. I dont know why it would turn out differently for you. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks for the advise from 72 eb and yourself. That's why I made this thread. Everyone here at this site is more than willing to help! Another member I'm friends with (Autry68) is coming up tomorrow and has a set of 33x12.50's on 10" rims he's gonna let me borrow to see how they work. The lift I purchased is add-a-leaf, so it will be stiff. I WILL NEVER TAKE THIS ONE OFF-ROAD! When I first got it, I took it off road just to see what it would do and to get it out of my system. I had a few close calls and it pretty much scared the hell out of me! So I'm going all for show now. I love the look of the 33x12.50's, so that's why I wanted to try it! I don't have to purchase them to try them so will see. If it doesn't work I will be purchasing 32's or 31's. Since I will never be wheeling it, I want the biggest tire possible and I know everyone says it's a 31x10.50. I don't think everyone is saying it to hear there self say it, it's for a reason! Well see what happens on Monday (that's when the lift arrives). PLEASE KEEP THE COMMENTS AND ADVISE COMING!!!

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
That looks like a nice Bronco; nice paint. Just dont hit any bumps; the wheels are way wider than the fenders...as for the add-a-leafs...you'll understand after you get them on why most of us try to steer folks away from them. If its a fun truck, you want it to ride nice/smooth, so that you can enjoy it. I give you a year and you will be shopping for new leafs...not trying to be an a$$, just trying to save you effort, $ and aggravation. Have fun.

OP
OP
calhoun555

calhoun555

Loc.
Sedalia, MO
trailpsycho said:
That looks like a nice Bronco; nice paint. Just dont hit any bumps; the wheels are way wider than the fenders...as for the add-a-leafs...you'll understand after you get them on why most of us try to steer folks away from them. If its a fun truck, you want it to ride nice/smooth, so that you can enjoy it. I give you a year and you will be shopping for new leafs...not trying to be an a$$, just trying to save you effort, $ and aggravation. Have fun.

I know what your saying I've seen it first hand! The wheels and tires thats on it now are borrowed from a friend. There not whats gonna stay on here. I really dont like the look of that much tire stickin out with uncuts like I thought I did. It looks good in pictures but not my cup of tea in person. I think I'm gonna go with 33x10.50 on a 8" rim instead to ellminate this upcoming problem. It has plenty of room and those leafs are really stiff, so as a daily driver it works with no problems. I drove over the speed bumps in my housing area at 35 (started at about 2 mph and worked my way up) to see how it would work. Didn't srub once. It will be about a month until I can get new shoes, but I will update with new pics then.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
calhoun555 said:
I know what your saying I've seen it first hand! The wheels and tires thats on it now are borrowed from a friend. There not whats gonna stay on here. I really dont like the look of that much tire stickin out with uncuts like I thought I did. It looks good in pictures but not my cup of tea in person. I think I'm gonna go with 33x10.50 on a 8" rim instead to ellminate this upcoming problem. It has plenty of room and those leafs are really stiff, so as a daily driver it works with no problems. I drove over the speed bumps in my housing area at 35 (started at about 2 mph and worked my way up) to see how it would work. Didn't srub once. It will be about a month until I can get new shoes, but I will update with new pics then.

Go ahead with the 33x10.50's, but put them on the stock wheels and keep the super high zoot hubcaps. That's a coooooool look. Someday, I'll have one. ;D

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Calhouny,

Did you return those hoops yet? I was wondering if you could get a close-up on the rear quarter clearances.