• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

taking bronco on road trip

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
Thinking about taking my bronco on a road trip this weekend. Its not my daily driver, but seems to be running good lately. Never driven her more than 50 miles at one time. This one will probably be close to 260 each way. Probably only be doing about 65mph on highway since i have the 3:50's with c4 and 33" muds. Trying to think of what i will beed to bring, Here is a list so far. what else would i need?
Spare tire, jack, extra oil, extra tranny fluid, extra serpentine belt, tools, jumper cables, tow strap. water for radiator, duct tape.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I am sure you will be fine.

I just bought mine, and had to drive it 275 miles to get it home. I have 456 gears and 33's - So for me it was 60-63 mph the whole way hehe

My next real project with be some 410 gears, so I can cruise a little better.

Where r u heading, and where in Mass are you?? I am from Waltham

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
Don't forget to check transfer case and differential fluids before heading out and grease everything up well too. Zip ties can come in handy and don't take up much space.

Also check lug nuts ;)

OP
OP
C

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
Im heading up to Maine. Should be nice and muddy up there. Its been raining for a week straight. hhahahahahaha. I actually moved to RI, just ovcer the mass border. I work in westwood mass.

OP
OP
C

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
Good tips astark. you guys have any more ideas? can't forget my lugnut wrench.

Shelton823

Hey Donsbolt glad you made it home. I was the guy with the orange 74 who talked to you for awhile at the Fun Ford Event in NJ. Good to see you here on the boards. By the way if you get the itch to sell that rear bumper Im in. You should post some pictures of that custom made set up I think people here might like it I know I did.

DiggetyDan

Loc.
Beverly
Nice to see some folks from MA on here.

ca1a73, about a month ago I flew out to Ohio to pick up a '76. The PO was a really great guy who topped all the fluids off, hooked me up with a lug wrench and a jack and I had brought out your standard set of tools and roadside emergency stuff which included a flashlight.

Drove back over 800 miles in about 16 hours and everything was fine. I'd suggest checking your fluids about half way if it's a really long trip but you should be ok with what you've got.

Good luck and hope to see you on roads up here. I used to work in Norwood but now I'm living on the North Shore. We don't see many EB's up in these parts.

broncolover199

Loc.
sykesville,maryland
ooops

i tried to drive mine home after I bought it, it was a 3 hour trip, but after we went only 13 miles the rod FLEW through the pan, need less to say it made it home safe and sound on the back of a trailer.

oh, another thing bring zip ties

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
If it is all in top condition I would say spare fluids and parts most likely to break like U-joints. Even then I've never had a catastrophic failure in my Bronco driving 500 + in a day at 80. No problems at all. It all depends on your rig.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
The three items that are the most likely to fail are cooling system, u-joints, and oil consumption. Check your belts and hoses and bring extra coolant, Check the ujoints and bring a spare, Check the oil and bring a few extr quarts. Wiring can also be a thorn so throw in a test light and some wiring supplies. Other than that check all of the fluid levels, tire condition, etc. I would stop at about 50 miles and give everything a quick once over and then do it again at about 100 miles. If you get that far without problems then the rest of the trip should go fine. Be sure to keep an eye on the guages the entire trip though.