• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Taking drum brakes off!

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

Did not get a chance after work yesterday to try knocking the drums off with a big hammer. I will try to tonight when I get off work. Ill go ahead and order some new drums, pads and drum kits so I can eventually do all the wheels

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
even cheaper, NAPA turns them for about $5-7 per

I don't think the question was cost.... The issue was getting them off.. If you take a 5lb sledge to them , they will come off, and they will break. Yes, mine came off in 30 seconds..... but in about 10 pieces.....

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Just upgrade to disk and get it over with.

On the drum, I always open the stud holes just a little so I can take just the drum off.
Yeah I know, you cant do that until you get the old one apart. Breaking the drum with a hammer is pretty easy to do. I have done it on many a front end that was rusted up.

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

I don't think the question was cost.... The issue was getting them off.. If you take a 5lb sledge to them , they will come off, and they will break. Yes, mine came off in 30 seconds..... but in about 10 pieces.....

I don't know why I just relized this! Lol. I don't know why I was trying to take them off in one piece. I am going to buy new ones anyways. I will be breaking them off with a 5lb sledges tonight when I get off work.

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

Just upgrade to disk and get it over with.

On the drum, I always open the stud holes just a little so I can take just the drum off.
Yeah I know, you cant do that until you get the old one apart. Breaking the drum with a hammer is pretty easy to do. I have done it on many a front end that was rusted up.

I want to upgrade but just for now I plan on just buying the front drum rebuild kit from Wildhorses or Broco graveyard. Just want to get the brakes functioning, fuel lines and fuel tanks replaced and just get the motor turned over and running. Want to get it mechanically safe and driving first then I can start doing all the upgrades and repairs that are needed and that I want to do. Was thinking about buying the front drum stuff locally but I think I will be better off just getting the drum brake kit online that way I know I will be getting everything.

DonH

Loc.
WA State 30 miles from the beach
There is a pressed on crimp around the wheel studs. I have driven the wheel studs back a little to relieve this. But most times the shoes still hold it in place. Getting the Star nut to turn backward is also a problem. The book shows inserting a small screwdriver in to release it but forty years of bad road may also be a issue. I have seen a cutter that relieves the crimp around the wheel stud. When reinstalling the OEM drum you should relieve the drum holes if you don't it is very difficult to get it back tight to the spindle. If you do not get it tight the tire and wheel could come loose.
Good luck with the auto adjusters. It might be a good idea to take a picture before you remove them. I do not remember anything fun about installing brake shoes.

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

Success!

Got home last night from work and went straight to the garage with the sledge hammer! I hit the drum pretty good I thought for some time and surprising the drum did not break into pieces! I hit it about as hard as I wanted to because I did not want to damage any other things in the area. So after all that I sat down in front of the drum and started to pull on it again. It was so close to coming off but it almost seemed like there was still something holding it on. I could almost see the whole brake pad inside it was out that far. So I was going to to take a break and eat dinner, i pushed the drum back on and thought, let me try to pull on it one more time. And I just about busted my ass when I pulled on it because it finally let go! Finally one down and now got the other side to do. Its doing the same thing.