• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Talk to me folks

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Alright, I am sure most of you saw my thread about contemplating selling the beast, well it is still kinda in my mind but I have too many thoughts that are fairly incoherent so I figured I would start a convo to get a little feedback. If you dont want to respond, dont sweat it, I'm only taking up one thread spot in the chat. Anyways, the only people currently around are my 2 year old and 3 year old and they really just want to ride in the Bronco no matter which one it is. ;D ;D

Anyways, here is me thinking out loud and listing what I have and want to do, etc.

Things I have:
70 Bronco (the Beast) fairly well set up for the trail and around town but doesnt really get me to the trail (I do have a trailer for that though).

Pink Bronc - I just need to finish the doors and top and tie up a few loose ends. Its hers, she likes it but wont wheel it.

76 Bronco in the garage - picked it up to flip to fund other projects - not much money into it and wont take much to get it done (body is rust free and dent free for the most part, just needs drivetrain cleaned up and thrown in and a little body and paint. (C4, 302, discs, ps, pb, etc etc)

69 Uncut - someone took the engine half apart and left it so its toast, I do have spare engines so I am good there, really wouldnt take much to restore but I dont think I will have the time and definitely dont have the space (not even keeping it at my house - and yes the person who is babysitting wants it :-X :-X ), and I think all my other friends want it too ;D ;D :-X

Tubs, titles, frames, drivetrains, etc to make my truggy project (and probably another Bronco too) - will wheel this pretty hardcore, doesnt need to be pretty.

97 Explorer sitting on the lot next to my house :-X that has the 5.0 4r70w in it. Its actually really clean, smashed corner but interior is spotless leather.

Parts I have in the garage...
nv3550 with adapter for 302
203 dodge range box
ford np205s
full width 1/2 ton axles

I really want to do the 5 speed and doubler setup in the Beast but I have that 5.0/4r70w setup that really want to make use of (plus that would allow the wife to wheel the Beast too). Dont know if it would be worth the time to put the doubler behind the 4r70w (it will get the 205 otherwise). I honestly like the way it is set up and dont mind the 435 but I would like to get some better drivability out of it.

Pinky is probably going to stay as it is.

Anyways, I am talking outloud, not even sure of what I am asking, I guess I just need some kind of influence to lead me onto a path so I stop waivering around etc.

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Why not sell some of the parts and excess, including the 69 (to the one who wants it of course) and take that NV and put in the Beast. It has the highway gear and if you do something like the doubler, a stak box or atlas you have the gearing to make up for the loss of the NP. That clears space out of the garage, gets rid of one that isn't even a thought right now and makes the Beast drivable to the trail. Go junk yard shopping for the necessary parts for the Exploder, fix it and you have money to work on other things... :)

easier said than done, eh? ;)

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good Luck

I bought a 72 last March with plans to rebuild it for Bradlee....changed directions with how we would do it numerous times...had a plan in place...then picked up a 76 during Christmas and all the plans changed again.

Actually got started last weekend...which is almost a year later.
We've got so much parts and crap laying around it's unbeliveable...but good sense tells me not to sell anything if we don't have to until it's done.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
It would be real easy to make the explorer a wheeler as is, some big tires and the spare 44 I have on the side yard, a little sheet metal and yeah it would be a pretty cool ride on the trail but I dont have the room to keep it but dont want to sell it as the 5.0 and auto are super valuable to use in one of my Broncos. If needed I will just strip the drivetrain out and save it for a future project.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
We've got so much parts and crap laying around it's unbeliveable...but good sense tells me not to sell anything if we don't have to until it's done.

I totally understand this. I have sold a lot of stuff that I "could have used" but I just dont have a lot of room. I live on a small city lot and only get away with what I do because we dont have an HOA and I am the redneck at the end of the block (and my neighbors dont speak english ;D ;D ;D )

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
OK Josh you know where I stand and if you had the room this would be a different conversation. First off in my opinion just take the motor, tranny and anything else usefull out of the explorer and part it. I still think its more trouble then its worth trying to fix it. I mean the thing hit a Telephone pole and dang near sheared the passenger side suspension off, and that frame is most likely tweaked.
Lets drop a running motor in the '69, throw a polish on it and sell it for a good profit (you got a good deal on it!) to use toward your dream.
You could do the same with the project truck (76), and put that $$ toward your dream also. If you sell the beast you will get a good sum for it and I'll support you, but you will most likely regret it for the rest of your life!! (just remember your '67!!)
If it helps I will no longer help you talk yourself (or push you) into buying anymore smoking hot deals.
And with all the spare stuff we have liying around we could put together a truggie next year. Hope that helps,

Shawn

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
OK Josh you know where I stand and if you had the room this would be a different conversation. First off in my opinion just take the motor, tranny and anything else usefull out of the explorer and part it. I still think its more trouble then its worth trying to fix it. I mean the thing hit a Telephone pole and dang near sheared the passenger side suspension off, and that frame is most likely tweaked.
Lets drop a running motor in the '69, throw a polish on it and sell it for a good profit (you got a good deal on it!) to use toward your dream.
You could do the same with the project truck (76), and put that $$ toward your dream also. If you sell the beast you will get a good sum for it and I'll support you, but you will most likely regret it for the rest of your life!! (just remember your '67!!)
If it helps I will no longer help you talk yourself (or push you) into buying anymore smoking hot deals.
And with all the spare stuff we have liying around we could put together a truggie next year. Hope that helps,

Shawn

Oh wise Shamen you know me. It does sound like the thing to do but that only answers some Q's. What do I put in the Beast the 3550, the 4r70w, keep the 435, do I do a doubler? So confused!!!

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
Oh wise Shamen you know me. It does sound like the thing to do but that only answers some Q's. What do I put in the Beast the 3550, the 4r70w, keep the 435, do I do a doubler? So confused!!!

Does Jocelyne know how to drive a stick? If yes then lets put in the 3550 and the double, and if know lets do the 4r70w and use the 3550 and double for the truggie, hell I have 3 good tubs and two that need a little work, and between you and me we have about what, 8-10 frames? We could start throwing parts at something and build a wife/family wheeler! Or lets just pop the cherry on the Pink one and put some dirt and scratches on that paint!;D ;D ;D (then flee the country)

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Hey Shawn, you see I have my tires up for sale now %) %)

I really just want to drive a 5 speed again. I guess I could look for a 4500, they have a granny??? No no no, not more parts!!!

I'm so confused!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
I'm so confused!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

That might have something to do with a Pink Bronco and some Zima consumption!!:-X :-X

Sorry I couldn't resist! I personally am not a big 4500 fan, we went through about one a year in all are work trucks at my last job. (Chevy Duramax junk)

Shawn

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
First of all, slim down your collection. Stop all further projects and finish up the 76 and get it out of the garage. Maybe keep an eye out for a decent motor for the 69 and get it up and running.

You have the Beast running and capable as is.

Strip the running gear out of the Explorer and put it in the garage when the 76 leaves. Then you can narrow down your choices and get to work on the Truggy.

Carl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, IL
Sell everything except for the Pink one and use the money to buy the Ranger. That way your yard and garage will be nice and clean. And since you won't be building anymore Broncos, you'll have more time to spend with your wife and kids. If you want to go wheelin' I'm sure one of the guys will let you ride shotgun. ;D

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought I'd be able to come up with some kind of plan and help you out...but I got halfway thru the inventory....and I think you helped me out. Helpine me justify buying one more project Bronco!!! You are more than a couple up on me.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
And since you won't be building anymore Broncos, you'll have more time to spend with your wife and kids.

Haha, yeah right. I have 3 sons and will have a house and shop on an acre in 2-3 years.

Wife and kids will be involved in all of it :cool: :cool: :cool:
Wife told me to fix and sell the 76 and the 69 and buy the Ranger with the money, it would definitely be enough. I just gotta get it to stick around till I am ready ;D

Pretty-N-Pink

Loc.
Clackamas,Oregon
Hahaha! temporarily downsizing until we have a bigger place and or a shop is what I have been preaching for over a year now. Its so funny that its taken Josh this long to realize it might be a good idea. I guess when you have so many good deals lying around that you have no space left to work on an actual project you are forced to consider the truth. ;D