• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tbird IRS in an EB???

t120r

Has anyone ever put an IRS in an EB? My EB will be 90% street. I have an IRS from a '95 Tbird, I also have almost everything to make a 4-link. Debating which way to go. Any pros/cons?

broncojam

Loc.
Ukiah
I have always wondered about this myself. I think the Tbirds stuff would be too week even for a street truck. I would look at the newer expeditions with IFS, I think they come with a 9-3/4 R&P and would be bit stronger.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Both would be pretty damn wide. The '03 Cobra IRS might be closer to the correct width.

The T-bird could be either a 7.5 or an 8.8 diff. The 7.5 is comparible to a D30, which would pop the first good stab of the gas. The 8.8 is OK, but only 28 spline. But I recall the Cobra 8.8 is a 31 spline.

All of this will have the wrong bolt pattern, very minimal and horrible wheel travel as well. Don't forget about being a total freak with a straight axle up front and IRS in back, unless you did IFS as well.

While on the pickings of IRS, one from a 3rd gen pathfinder ('05-'12) is about the correct width. I know that most of the subframe is a bolt in as well. Wheel bolt pattern is wierd 6x4.5" but I know a way to get it to a common 6x5.5" pattern. There might even be a way to get to 5x5.5" but that would make brakes a real pain. And there are 2 different differentials but the ratios all suck. Mix and match more donors and the best I could patch together would be a 3.36 ratio in the better housing.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
The t-bird 8.8 would be 28 spline, with spaghetti noodle axles.

The Explorer 8.8 is in fact 31, with slightly beefier axles, but like mentioned would be way too wide.

The 99-01 Cobras were 28 spline, but pretty beefy axles.
The 02+ Cobras were 31 and BEEFY. But also very spendy.

I've been playing with the idea of a hybrid axle. Early Cobra outers with Explorer inner stubs just due to cost. Sadly the splines on the axle tube itself is off by one tooth.

OP
OP
T

t120r

4-link it is then.:) I'll use the IRS in something, no doubt.:)