• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Teaching my 15 year old son stick shift

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My son finally got his learners permit about a month ago and he always wanted drive a Bronco for his first drive! Well... honestly it’s easier to learn to drive with automatic but he has cut his teeth a bit a couple automatic vehicles one being 73 Bronco! ;) This past weekend he finally got his chance to drive a manual shift vehicle! We had a good time cruising around town! :cool:

Attachments

• 68B9CB9B-A30B-4531-B2E6-C98CC02D3839.jpg
    68B9CB9B-A30B-4531-B2E6-C98CC02D3839.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 277

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
My 17 years old Grand sON IS LIVING WITH US FOR ABOUT A MONTH. & I'm supposed to teach him how to drive while he's here .
Man I'm glad I'M TEACHING This grand son in an Auto rides .
MOST OF MY OTHER GRAND Kids have learned in my Bronco with the 4 speed NP435.
& THAT'S EASIER THAN THE NORMAL 3 SPEED of the Org trans in our Broncos ..

GOOD LUCK TO YOUR SON.

tailpipe

Contributor
How many kids get to say they learned to drive in a 66 roadster (sweet rig)! It has always been my opinion that to "drive" requires three pedals, if you only have two then you're only steering! I taught my 10 year old to drive about a week ago on my 66. The ultimate badge of awesomeness is that the "stick" is actually "three on the tree"!

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Nice! Can't remember if my daughter was 14 or 15. She picked it up pretty quick.

Screenshot_2018-06-29-23-18-02_zps6jf8hnvv.png

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Both of my sons had to learn how to drive a manual. I figured it required them to pay more attention to driving or else they stalled and got embarrassed ;)

bflippinw

Hey Jeff, tried to show my daughter in that 67 f250! Granny low out in the hay field.

cannunz546

Contributor
Bronco Owner and Admirer
Loc.
Northwest Suburbs, Chicago
I taught my son to drive my 1973 Bronco which is a stick. He was 14 then and is 28 now. He still drives a stick and thanks me for teaching him. I remember those times very fondly. Lots of sudden neck jerks and patience. Nothing better.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've found it's best to show the kid the basics, then em loose alone on a dirt road somewhere. That way they aren't under any pressure from somebody watching.
Actually nobody ever taught me. If I wanted to use the car, I had to teach myself.

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
I taught my son at age 12 to drive a stick, my parents jeep out on our ranch. I figured the worst that could happen is he would hit a tree or run it into the creek. I loves driving a stick and wants one for his first vehicle. My brother got his daughter a stick for a first vehicle so she wouldn't be able to use her phone while driving, seems to be working so far.

Congrats Dad that is a beautiful bronco to learn how to drive a stick!!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
My 17yo daughter learned in a Saturn with a stick. Now that's she has it down shes waiting to take out the 66.

MDSD

Loc.
San Diego, CA
My son finally got his learners permit about a month ago and he always wanted drive a Bronco for his first drive! Well... honestly it’s easier to learn to drive with automatic but he has cut his teeth a bit a couple automatic vehicles one being 73 Bronco! ;) This past weekend he finally got his chance to drive a manual shift vehicle! We had a good time cruising around town! :cool:

Great pic and memory! 10 years I'll be right there with you.

Attachments

• Boys_Bronco.jpg
    Boys_Bronco.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 101

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
I was about 11 years old and out haying with my Grandpa one day. We finished cutting and he told me to grab the pickup and follow him back to the farm. '85 Ford 4-speed, no instructions at all but he knew I could figure it out on my own. Over the next few weeks I graduated to the '66 Chevy grain truck w/split rearend. He didn't instruct me on that one either but I'd ridden with him enough I knew how it was supposed to work.

My mom freaked when I told her. %)

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Gas pig, your son will never forget that moment.
I can remember my first time driving. My dad worked as a white goods service man at a appliance dealer called Justis Brothers. I was working there for the summer and they needed a part at another store so they wanted to send me as I just got my drivers license that day.
My Dad told me "jump in JB#7" which was an old 1965 Chevy stepside 3 on the tree. I guess he seen the concerned look on my face when he said "just back up and down the parking lot a couple times and take off".:eek: I'll never forget that moment.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I love this thread!
I was raised on a farm. My uncles also has farms nearby, so there was always a lot of driving between farms for stuff.
When I was 13, Daddy had me go pick up something.
I said "but I don't have a license."
Daddy said "just sit up in the seat and drive the speed limit.";)

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah... believe he was loving it! He did admit, “dad you make it look easy... it takes more thinking then just driving.” I told him him my first time driving I was 12 and my uncle took me out and it was a 4 speed late 70’s Toyota. When I was 14 my cousin (who was 19) let me drive (76 Nova w/ 3 on the tree) home from the golf course. I told him no worries if I make it look easy because I have been doing it for a little while! lol

He wants to take his driving test in my buddy’s 73 Bronco because he feels that he can drive it anywhere... great turning radius, no blinds spots, and you can easily see your corners. I told him doesn’t matter to that up to my buddy if he would care or not.

With all his crazy hair he looks like he belongs in a 70’s Bronco.

Attachments

• 6292816E-A5BB-4C91-BB55-DC08D4BC9687.jpg
    6292816E-A5BB-4C91-BB55-DC08D4BC9687.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 79

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
only stick shift I have is a 4 speed in my 72 Mach 1... so my daughter may never learn. :D