• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Test drove an EB recently...

origbronco

It has a lot of play in the steering (ie - wanders all over the road) and trouble shifting into 3rd at times. Also has a leak in the rear main and a few minor rust spots. All things considered it seems to be a decent ride. Being new to the EB scene, I wondered if anyone on here could give me some idea of how big some of these issues are in terms of $$$. I want to make a fair offer, but I'm afraid I don't know enough about the issues it has to know where to start. It's a '71 Bronco, 302 V8 w/ 3 on the tree and a Rancho lift kit...don't know much past that. Thanks in advance.

72-Madisyn

Loc.
Medford
asking price? most broncos that havent had everything replaced wander on the road, and again, most broncos for sale have the typical rust....otherwise most owners would keep them I think. You just sort of need to figure out what you are able to do yourself and what you will need to hire out for. Anytime you get some one else doing your work you have to figure at least 50 an hour labor rate, plus material. It adds up quick. sight unseen by pics its pretty hard to guess what you may be getting into. good luck.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Welcome
I'd say they are common issues and usually easily fixed. As for the play in the steering or wandering it depends a $50 bushing kit may fix it or it might be worn tires, worn steering box ect and/or a combonation of things that all add up but still fixable. As for the shifting issue might just need a linkage adjustment although there could be wear in the tranny as well but these are cheap to rebuild or replace as many people will give them away when they have done a tranny swap.
As for making a fair offer well its hard to say as was said without us seeing it or knowing what its asking price currently is.