• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The 65MM Explorer throttle body/TPS sensor/Ron Francis Harness?

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Reading the RJM article and it says that the TB I have on my upper GT40 is different and the TPS sensor plug is different and won't work with most EFI harnesses.

Well since this article is pretty old I am wondering if you can have Ron Francis change that TPS to work with this throttle body?

Thanks!
http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MG%2D70

throttle_body-1.jpg

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
seems a lot easier to just get the correct TB...there are every where and not expensive... adapting everything else to that can get pricey (ie. throttle cable,sensors,etc)

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I picked up a used mustang t body to use the linkage on my explorer throttle body. The mustang t body had a T.P. sensor on it. I just switched the plug from one sensor to the other and it worked great.

Henry

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We just got the female plug off the Explorer TPS, cut the mustang one off, and soldered the Explorer female on to the RJM harness. I thought I remebered the TB plugging up, but we may of soldered the Explorer TB connector also.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What throttle body is that? Doesn't look anything like the typical 5.0 throttle body. The Explorer throttle body I had looked just like a mustang version except didn't have the crank case vent nipple ant the TPS mounting was slightly different. That one looks way different, lots of extra nipples. IAC is all wrong as well.

I remember that the sensor could be swapped from one to the other but not the other way round, just forgot which way it would go.

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
I used a mustang TPS on my explorer TB. Works fine. I kept the explorer IAC and swapped the plug on the new harness to the explorer one. the wires are the same color so you can't screw it up.

I needed to extend the wires for the IAC anyway.

What TB is that? It looks nothing like any explorer TB I've seen.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
it's from google images- I was just too lazy to take a pic but here you go. It's a 96' explorer F67U-BA.

It's missing the IAC as well so I am wondering if I can find the right TB that is this mounting pattern

Attachments

• CAM00241.jpg
    CAM00241.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
I'm still stumped on what to buy here. I have the explorer upper so I will need the explorer throttle body because of the mounting pattern right? And if I use the explorer TB I have to make modifications to the throttle linkage plates, the vent tube, and will have to make sure I get the correct TPS plug on my harness?

Is there anyway to avoid all that shit? Is there a year mustang that has that mounting pattern but with everything in it's correct place?

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
I'm still stumped on what to buy here. I have the explorer upper so I will need the explorer throttle body because of the mounting pattern right? And if I use the explorer TB I have to make modifications to the throttle linkage plates, the vent tube, and will have to make sure I get the correct TPS plug on my harness?

Is there anyway to avoid all that shit? Is there a year mustang that has that mounting pattern but with everything in it's correct place?

Sure...take any year mustang 5.0 tb...it will bolt up np. I'm talking early 5.0 stangs(fox body)

brandenpro

Loc.
Salem, OR
I specifically chose that same Throttle body, and just had Ron Francis ship mine with all the correct fittings, for my setup. I also got a 65mm MAF

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

You have the best explorer throttle body to use. You can either buy a mustang TPS or have RF put the correct connector on the harness. You have a vent tube on the TB. You might have to turn it 180 degrees but that's easy. You don't have to make any mods to the linkage plate. Just get the BC cable kit and weld the new plate on top of the old one. Do my progressive throttle mod and it'll be perfect.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Sure...take any year mustang 5.0 tb...it will bolt up np. I'm talking early 5.0 stangs(fox body)

They show the mustang TB as having a different bolt pattern on the fuel injection... is that not the case? articlehttp://oldfuelinjection.com/Inject_your_horse2.pdf

You have the best explorer throttle body to use. You can either buy a mustang TPS or have RF put the correct connector on the harness. You have a vent tube on the TB. You might have to turn it 180 degrees but that's easy. You don't have to make any mods to the linkage plate. Just get the BC cable kit and weld the new plate on top of the old one. Do my progressive throttle mod and it'll be perfect.

Thanks Phil- do you have more info on your progressive throttle mod? How do you turn the vent tube?