• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"The Beast" - Explorer 5.0/ZF/NP203/NP205 is ALIVE!

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Last trip out at the BBBB my rear inboard shock hoop broke loose, had planned on going outboard with my shocks anyways and finally got it done the past 2 days before a wheeling/camping trip this weekend. I think it turned out pretty good. The rear shocks are 14" travel and I set it up for 6" compression which should work well. Will see if I can move the rear around a little more with the outboard hoops. It already feels a ton better on the street. I am sure some Bilsteins would help even more but I'll run the cage shocks till then. The tubing is 1.25 3/16" DOM...a bit overkill but steel seems fairly affordable right now. It took right at 10' so $30 worth. Special thanks to a local, Wayne who has a fabulous shop with a bender and was gracious to help me out, thanks Wayne!

Attachments

• rearhoop1.jpg
    rearhoop1.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 257
  • rearhoop2.jpg
    rearhoop2.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 212

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
I have wanted to stretch a bronco like that since the first time I rolled my 75 back on the spare in Moab in 03! Great find!!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Last trip out at the BBBB my rear inboard shock hoop broke loose, had planned on going outboard with my shocks anyways and finally got it done the past 2 days before a wheeling/camping trip this weekend. I think it turned out pretty good. The rear shocks are 14" travel and I set it up for 6" compression which should work well. Will see if I can move the rear around a little more with the outboard hoops. It already feels a ton better on the street. I am sure some Bilsteins would help even more but I'll run the cage shocks till then. The tubing is 1.25 3/16" DOM...a bit overkill but steel seems fairly affordable right now. It took right at 10' so $30 worth. Special thanks to a local, Wayne who has a fabulous shop with a bender and was gracious to help me out, thanks Wayne!

I hope it's just the camera angle but your axle tube looks bent.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Got a new to me rear bumper, man this thing is heavy but it fits great and works well. Will need to beef up my frame horns but this will definitely work for now. Looks good works well till I can finish my plate bumper I am building with dual racks. Anyways, here are the pics...

Attachments

• bumper1.jpg
    bumper1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 157
  • bumper2.jpg
    bumper2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 242
OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Finally getting around to installing the mega rock skis that I bronko69er helped me make. These things are monstrous...4"x6"x5' 3/16" thick. They are tapped for air tanks and pressure tested to 180lb already. We welded supports every couple inches to prevent expansion. Between the 2 skis they hold 10 gallons of air.

Outer rocker was pretty bashed, had diamond plate covers over some real mashed metal, I think my last trip out really did some damage. You can see my #3 modeling the dent.

I cut the outer away to reveal a beautiful inner rocker, these look to be galvanized, not sure if all of them were but these are. Of course there is virtually no rust on this Bronco anyways, the least of any of the Broncos I have bought.

Need to cut the post and striker and drill holes in the inner rocker, I think I will plug weld the ski to the inner rocker since it is still so solid. Havent decided if I am going to notch the flares or move them higher, open to suggestions.

Attachments

• rocker2.jpg
    rocker2.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 185
  • rocker1.jpg
    rocker1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 215
  • rocker1a.jpg
    rocker1a.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 193

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Your going to ruin those socks playing in that orange mud. Is your kid holding your beer?

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Haha, its actually an energy drink....I am a glass bottle snob when it comes to beer.
If you look close you can see I am wearing beer boxers though ;D

OsideDave

I like the shock hoops, just bought some rock jocks but really wanted something like this but I assumed they would rub. Do they?

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Hey Dave, since I am FW I have a lot of room in there. I could have put them even closer in the well but I am still contemplating cutting the wells down to fit a larger rear seat.

I think with stock axles you gotta go with the rock jock.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Haha, its actually an energy drink....I am a glass bottle snob when it comes to beer.
If you look close you can see I am wearing beer boxers though ;D

Zima doesn't come in cans.;)

I thought he was picking up the rock ski with his monkey toe.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Alright, skis are almost ready to install, both sides just need a little cleanup prior to weld.

Since a couple people were having a few issues with their RCV axle install I decided to get mine done. Aside from not realizing my 205 was a little jammed up the install was super simple. And of course I painted my balls green, not sure if the wife will like it but I do, now everyone can see my balls!

Attachments

• greenballs1.jpg
    greenballs1.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 169
  • greenballs2.jpg
    greenballs2.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 191
OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Checklist for Rubicon at the end of the month....

Finish rock sliders
Replace another exhaust doughnut on driver side
Install a fan shroud (not essential)
Fix tailgate latch
Install new front winch bumper if there is time
Maybe a quickie paint job
Pack up spare parts for trip

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Once again I expect lots of pics and video on this con trip! what are you making the sliders out of ? I made mine from 2x6 3/16th wall tube and welding strait to the body.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Once again I expect lots of pics and video on this con trip! what are you making the sliders out of ? I made mine from 2x6 3/16th wall tube and welding strait to the body.

Haha, they are 4"x6"x5'x3/16" sealed and tapped for air. Between the 2 they hold 10 gallons of air!!! All pressure tested. They are being welded to the body, mainly the inner rocker and the posts as the inner rocker was in primo condition, just going to plug weld to it from the back side. I wasnt concerned about any more ground clearance as I know I can slide around all day on these once they are mounted.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Cool, I see you painted your CV boots that hideous green %) whatever man I can dig it do us a favor and show lots of pics on the welding I have not put mine up yet and would like to see it again. are you towing or driving up? you know you do have an overdrive ;D it's only about 550 miles from Oceanside I already planned it out.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Cool, I see you painted your CV boots that hideous green %) whatever man I can dig it do us a favor and show lots of pics on the welding I have not put mine up yet and would like to see it again. are you towing or driving up? you know you do have an overdrive ;D it's only about 550 miles from Oceanside I already planned it out.

Ah, hell no, I am not driving it up. I do have the right gearing but not up for that yet. I really want to get some new radial tires to drive on, these bias ply are brutal on the hiway...well at least with only 15lb of air in them. I am planning on running the whole Con and then driving through Tahoe back around with a few of the NorCal bros.

My goal is to eventually get to where I can do that, but not likely with this one.