• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The lights are on-but we can't leave home

broncosis

Loc.
long island,ny
Hey, anybody ever have this problem, engine runs great,no probs, but when i turn on my headlights the engine shuts off. Its done this since i got it,it also had an altenator with a bad bearing(squealed) which i just changed out. Usually my ammeter wiggles around the midline but now its on steady discharge.I'm thinking regulator- the one i have looks original. Anybody ever go through this before?

Oh when i drive at night i have to turn the lights after i start going, ishift into neutral at lights to keep the revs up

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Get the meter out. Does sound like regulator. Take the cover off and see whats doing....better yet Get a new and improved one.

TrailDawg

Loc.
Lima, OH
I have the exact same problem right now with my 93 F150. Funny thing is that after it runs and drives for about 5 minutes the headlights will work fine. Usually only happens to me when its raining or has just rained, like there's moisture shorting out the circuit. Haven't tracked down the problem yet, but it sure is annoying.

BTW, seems the police don't approve of driving around using my bumper mounted 8" 130W spotlights as headlights. lol

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
[quote author=broncosis link=board=5;threadid=21838;start=0#msg168057 date=1062906456]
Any good ones out there? Or just the Pepboys special?
[/quote]

you prob have a mechanical one if its origional. get a eletronic one. $10 premo for $36

VR166.jpg

G

Made in the USA......we dont see that enough anymore! :'(

Texas77

Loc.
Temple, Tx
[quote author=TrailDawg link=board=5;threadid=21838;start=0#msg168072 date=1062913056]
I have the exact same problem right now with my 93 F150. Funny thing is that after it runs and drives for about 5 minutes the headlights will work fine. headlights. lol
[/quote]

TrailDawg,

Check you light switch on the dash. I have a 93 F150 and had the same problem. Was talking to a Ford mechanic and he said that this was a common problem. When I checked my switch there was a big burnt spot on the back of the switch :-X. Replace both plug and switch it yours is bad.