• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The Plan Build a Low End Motor No Strokers

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
Take a 1983 351 rebuild it mostly stock maybe RV Cam. Put on a 5.8 intake with 19# Injectors top with a BC Broncos 5.0/5.8 EFI Adapter with 5.0 HO Plenum Long tube headers. Wire it up with a RJM Injection EFI Harness hooked to an A9L Computer. Parts I am not sure about are

60MM Throttle Body is it big enough
What size Mass Air
I have one off a t-Bird
F1ZF-12B579-AA
AFH55-03B
1E09
Are the #’s on it.
All these parts I have but will replace if needed I want this to be RIGHT
Thank You all Help Appreciate

Brian

Last edited:

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
To the top- This is almost exactly what I hope to do although the motor is an 88. Would be real interested in any feedback.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Your mass air meter needs to match what your computer. What I mean by this is if your computer is programmed for 19lb injectors, your MAF needs to be calibrated for 19lb injectors.... Your TB will probably work, but I think a 65mm one would possibly work a little better, but I'm not an efi expert...

OP
OP
Bronco Brian

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
Your mass air meter needs to match what your computer. What I mean by this is if your computer is programmed for 19lb injectors, your MAF needs to be calibrated for 19lb injectors.... Your TB will probably work, but I think a 65mm one would possibly work a little better, but I'm not an efi expert...

The Mass came off a 5.0 HO Motor T-Bird with Orange 19# Injectors I read on a post a cross reference that said it would work I will see if I can find id and post up Found it link below.
http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112502

Brian

Last edited:

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Before sinking a lot of money into a 351, if low end grunt is what you're after, a 4.9L I-6 is tough to beat.

OP
OP
Bronco Brian

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
Before sinking a lot of money into a 351, if low end grunt is what you're after, a 4.9L I-6 is tough to beat.

How true you are I had a 250 I6 in my Bronco before I put in my 5.0 .That thing had so much low end I loved it (Crying) But if I went backwards the Bronco Queen would kill me and I like livin

Brian

BroncoRunner

Loc.
SE Michigan
Doing the same thing as we speak. 92, 351 5.8, with BC adaptor............5.0 upper, 19lb injectors 70mm MAF and throttle body. Need a computer yet but I'll keep you updated.

OP
OP
Bronco Brian

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
Doing the same thing as we speak. 92, 351 5.8, with BC adaptor............5.0 upper, 19lb injectors 70mm MAF and throttle body. Need a computer yet but I'll keep you updated.

Thank you looking forward to hear how your build comes out

Brian

Last edited:

Revelation

Bronco Guru
How true you are I had a 250 I6 in my Bronco before I put in my 5.0 .That thing had so much low end I loved it (Crying) But if I went backwards the Bronco Queen would kill me and I like livin

Brian

4.9 is the 300, don't think a 250 would match it in torque.
and remember if you go with a 300 check out Clifford Research, 6=8

OP
OP
Bronco Brian

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
No inline 6

I plan on going forward v8 not an inline 6 yes I know the make lots of low end but that is not what I want to do

Thank You

Brian

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That combo should be fine. The stock heads will restrict flow enough that the 19# injectors should be enough. If you get any type of performance heads you will likley need to step up to 24# injectors.

Being the MAF, computer and injectors are all off the same donor, that will be perfect!

60mm will probably be a good size. May not have the peak HP that you could get, but not loosing much either. Remeber that a big throttle body is harder to modulate. Tends to make the throttle jumpy, control sucks.

OP
OP
Bronco Brian

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
That combo should be fine. The stock heads will restrict flow enough that the 19# injectors should be enough. If you get any type of performance heads you will likley need to step up to 24# injectors.

Being the MAF, computer and injectors are all off the same donor, that will be perfect!

60mm will probably be a good size. May not have the peak HP that you could get, but not loosing much either. Remeber that a big throttle body is harder to modulate. Tends to make the throttle jumpy, control sucks.

The intake and Injectors are off a 5.8 Truck. The Mass Air came off a T-Bird the A9L Computer I bought of E-Bay So I wonder if this will work a together or not. I will most likely just use stock heads. If I Went with Performance Heads now I would be over bugget. But If I went with the Heads I would think about a Stroker But that would put me Way over my limited Budget

Thanks
Brian

OP
OP
Bronco Brian

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
From nobody's Post

Here is the interchange info I have for a "Air Flow Meter"

COUGAR 91-93 6-232 (3.8L)
COUGAR 91-93 8-302 (5.0L)
LINCOLN CONTINENTAL 91-94
LINCOLN MARK SERIES 89-92 (8-302, 5.0L)
MUSTANG 88-89 (8-302, 5.0L), ID E9ZF-AA
MUSTANG 88-89 (8-302, 5.0L), ID F1ZF-AA
MUSTANG 90-92 8-302 (5.0L)
MUSTANG 93 8-302 (5.0L), w/o Cobra
SABLE 91-95 6-232 (3.8L)
TAURUS 89-90 (6-183, 3.0L, SHO)
TAURUS 91-95 6-183 (3.0L), SHO
TAURUS 91-95 6-232 (3.8L)
TAURUS 93-95 6-195 (3.2, SHO, AT)
THUNDERBIRD 91-93 6-232 (3.8L), w/o supercharger
THUNDERBIRD 91-93 8-302 (5.0L)

Notes:
FD $174
Ident: E9ZF12B579AA
Ident: E9ZFAA
Ident: F1ZF12B579A This is the # off my Mass Air Meter
Ident: F1ZFA

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
The cost of having a crank turned and polished is only about $50 less than an Eagle cast crank. If you bore you will have to by pistons anyways, so a set of dished 302 pistons won't cost any extra. I built my 393 on a very tight budget also, I spent around $1K start to finish. That is with a new intake, distributor, water pump, and fuel pump. I had a local shop do the machining and I did the assembly. I don't regret the extra cubes one bit.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The cost of having a crank turned and polished is only about $50 less than an Eagle cast crank. If you bore you will have to by pistons anyways, so a set of dished 302 pistons won't cost any extra. I built my 393 on a very tight budget also, I spent around $1K start to finish. That is with a new intake, distributor, water pump, and fuel pump. I had a local shop do the machining and I did the assembly. I don't regret the extra cubes one bit.

Last set of pistons I got for the 351 were about $50 more then the 302 pistons. So a 393 stroker is about the same cost to build as it is to rebuild a 351.

But in the title he stated he was not interestd in strokers.

If you want to play and don't want a stroker. I am running a 302 piston hung on 6.120" rods on a stock but turned 351 crank. While my rods are a very rare motorsports part you can get about the same rod out of a mopar 360(?). They are not a bolt in! I can't remember but I believe that they can be worked with a little machining. Might have to turn the crank a little further as well. It is not a real common mod, but it is another option. Want more fun? 6.5xx" rod from a 351 or 400M and some oddball pistons...

There are a lot of things that can be done if you want to try.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i am hearing some bad reports on the eagle cranks, has anyone got any news on that.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
i am hearing some bad reports on the eagle cranks, has anyone got any news on that.

Without details that means nothing. Is there one person screaming on every mustang forum because his 300 HP shot of nitrous blew the crank out or are there actual true multiple reports of failures in realistic situations?

My Eagle stroker kit is doing fine and is 2 years old.

They are cast in China (so is all the other affordable cast cranks on the market). I know Eagle does the machine work in house in the USA down in Mississippi. Not sure where the others are machined at. My dealings directly with Eagle (couple years ago) went very well. If I was doing some real high end stuff I would have to consider other makers as well

OP
OP
Bronco Brian

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
I would love a stroker 393 but I am way over my head on this ( I am over my head on an engine build any way) I live in a small town in northen Calif. not a lot of options on machine shop in my area. The guy I have talk to is about 35 miles from my house he is recommend by costomers of mine ( I del. uniform Etc. to repair shops) he has qouted me $2,000.00 for a long block I my self do not know how to put a motor together. I also thought there was alot more machine work on a stroker too. That is why is says no strokers = $$ I would most likey need new heads to for it to breath if i did
Please keep your ideas comming but I would like to keep this under $2,500.00 if that is Bronco doable.Yes I know people that can put a motor together but I dont want them to feel obligated or responsible so one stop shopping comes in. The Bronco Queen is not happy about this motor any way. I most likey wont start it till later this year or next she has other plans for are money that is good too for it not always about me and the Bronco.

Brian

Last edited: