• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The Saga Ends Finally 6/'12: Title for custom built vehicle

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Searched a little for this but did not come up with a specific thread, so, I am starting one.

This deal got started first of the week when I started investigating what was required to insure a "specialty vehicle" and was told by the company I currently use and another "specialty company"- no vin/title no insurance.

I contacted a local DMV officer who works with inspections and other stuff. This turned out to be a "not what you know but who you know deal"-quick version- his wife was a teacher in the high school I teach before she lost her battle with breast cancer. I had forgotten her husband worked for the DMV. He told me he could meet me after work today as soon as I told him who I was and where I worked- so I hauled it down.

Here are the forms per NC-
**Application for Title (MVR-1) completed in full and signed before a notary-
**MVR 55-notarized statement explaining how the vehicle was acquired(built) and why evidence of ownership cannot be furnished....
**Report of inspection by an inspector with the License and Theft Bureau (LT270)
**Proof of ownership for engine, trans. and frame. If no proof of ownership, an Indemnity Bond written by an ins. company licensed to write Surety Bonds in NC. bond must be for 1.5 times the fair market value of vehicle. Must furnish all receipts for parts and labor to construct the vehicle OR two appraisals from two dealerships on their letterhead.

This is the option I took and thanks to the inspector, he advised me to "low ball" the appraisals to reduce the bond. Again, small town friendly-went to two local used car dealers-One has a kid in the high school I teach, one had a grandson who was my starting middle linebacker a couple years back :) They both were very complimentary of the buggy-evidently, they were familiar with this "process", because they asked me what I wanted it appraised for. I was very appreciative of this as it will reduce my (bond). NOTE-this part is separate from the "value" I will assign to it for insurance. I had a paper trail built especially for that :)
**MVR-92H, Affidavit of Facts to Accompany Idemnity Bond
**Title fee -$40.00
**All custom built vehicles are branded RECONSTRUCTED!!

You will need to check with your local office for specifics on what is and is NOT required/legal for "on road use". Lets just say my inspector liked the working headlights, turn signals, brake lights and 4wdisc brakes which he could see through the slots :)

Now, we will see, how long the process takes!!!
Wow, that was a long post!

Last edited:

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Good luck Karl, hope it doesn't take too long to go through.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Aw heck kb, school don't start back for another 2 weeks, you got plenty of time!!!!!%)%)%) If it don't work, I may make you an offer on that "untitled, reconstructed" rig!!!;D;D;D

Good luck!!!:cool::cool:

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Tough process from what I understand. Here in the islands it best to start with a legal title/VIN.

Good Luck KB.
Love the color BTW..

barronj

Bronco Guru
the kit car guys have similar problems (cobra replicars), but it comes down to appraisal & bonding, typically.

OP
OP
kb6677

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Almost a year later I have a title-
Highlights of the fertilizer:

A.The DMV inspector wanted me to change the year on the app from 1966 to 2011-the year it was completed.
Ok, done, go to the local office with paperwork,appraisals, pics and bond.
Lady did not like the change on the original app. Have to get a rider from ins. company doing the bond to note change- ok

Couple weeks go by and I get the paperwork-go back to the office and she says the model can't be "Wagon" it needs to be two door- ok, go through A again.

More time, finally sent off in Mid Oct.

Hear nothing till the week of Christmas from Raleigh-
you need to change the Model to 2 door. OK, repeat A again

Next letter in April- Year needs to be 1966 based on the pics-this vehicle has not been made since 1977- really?!!!! That was the year I put on the original app. in Aug. of 2011
Repeat A again

Title came today and states: Year Make Model
1966 Ford MP

Just pleased to have the title, now I can get it insured for value and relax a bit the next time I take it to an event.
Maybe I can get Ben's "source" to send me some $$ and I can put a set of street radials on it and drive it to the next local car show!!

Attachments

• 0628121313.jpg
    0628121313.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 33

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
Just pleased to have the title, now I can get it insured for value and relax a bit the next time I take it to an event.

Glad this got worked out.

Don't know how the reconstructed status will affect the insurable value though. Hope it works out in your favor.

OP
OP
kb6677

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad this got worked out.

Don't know how the reconstructed status will affect the insurable value though. Hope it works out in your favor.

Fortunately, it is not a salvage/rebuild title. Because we went through the correct steps with the local and state DMV(inspector and offices), bonds taken out, paperwork for "new" engine, trans, Atlas, frame, suspension, body etc.... it was sent through originally as a "new" 2011 build-just like a kit car. I don't know why they wanted the year changed to 1966 but that is fine. The title I have is not salvage/rebuild-in North Carolina, the DMV types "salvage/rebuild" on the title when it is issued if the vehicle fits that designation. My title does not have that typed on it. :)

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Sometimes it works out just doing the right thing. I had a dune buggy a few years ago that had a 62 chassis and vin and fiberglass body. It was titled as a 1973 VW Dune Buggy, something VW never even offered. Completely clean regular title. State laws vary greatly.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey kb, congratulations on the title!!! Now that you have one for the aqua/green one, it should be a piece of cake getting one for the red & white one!!!!%)%)%)