• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thinking about going to Moab Bronco Safari

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Always wanted to go to the Bronco Safari at Moab and the stars may align this year.
I'm not sure what to expect from the trails there. Several of you have rode with me at OCBR and Windrock. My Bronco is a 76 with 302, EFI, NP435, D20, ARB up front and Detroit in the rear. 3.5" SL and 1" BL. Running 37x14x15s IROCs on beadlocks. Thought about swapping on some 35x12.50R15s I have.
Any suggestions on how best to get setup for this ride would be appreciated.

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do it! The traction is so good out there you will be amazed at what you can climb. Couple that with the scenery and the people, it is a must do.
Have fun!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Always wanted to go to the Bronco Safari at Moab and the stars may align this year.
I'm not sure what to expect from the trails there. Several of you have rode with me at OCBR and Windrock. My Bronco is a 76 with 302, EFI, NP435, D20, ARB up front and Detroit in the rear. 3.5" SL and 1" BL. Running 37x14x15s IROCs on beadlocks. Thought about swapping on some 35x12.50R15s I have.

Just do it, you'll never regret it. I find people are more comfortable in a lower rig, but knowing yours it will be just fine. The traction is very good and different than what you are used to, but so are the views, seeing a 100+ miles is normal. I get told by people that want to go that their rig isn't built up enough to do it, my answer always is: "Is it reliable enough for your wife to drive to work?" "Is it 4 wheel drive?" then yes you are prepared enough. The trails are more mentally difficult than physical, the hardest trails all have winch points and most do not have massive ledges like Hot Springs and Windrock. Come on out, we'll have a good time;);D

Shoot me a PM and we can discuss in detail any questions you may have

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
Don't apply too much power at full steering lock, watch the D20 output shaft, and get used to people saying "just bump it."

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I went last year for the first time and we have already rented a house for this year. I can't imagine not going every year now that I have been. It is absolutely amazing!!!!

ransil

Bronco Guru
Bronco should be able to handle anything you are willing to do, traction is different than what you find on the east coast takes a little different driving style, but you figure it out real quick.
The height thing is what got me, lot of edges to look over sometimes inches from you,

get on airbb or vibro and rent a house, the one we rented had a garage to wrench in take 10 times the water you normally carry.

In most cases you will be way out on the trails, aint no walking back for spares.

If it not street legal , put a plate on it so you can run the roads you don't want to trailer it to the trail heads, going in and coming out is usually 2 different places.

OP
OP
stout22

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
take 10 times the water you normally carry.

In most cases you will be way out on the trails, aint no walking back for spares.

If it not street legal , put a plate on it so you can run the roads you don't want to trailer it to the trail heads, going in and coming out is usually 2 different places.

I had assumed your on the trail all day and need to carry all the food and spares you need but sounds like your confirming that.

My Bronco is street legal and tagged but the Irocs are terrible on the road.
That's why I was thinking of swapping to the radial 35s. Just not sure if I want to give up the beadlocks.

69 Red Bronco

In moab you wont need to let out as much air as you are probably used to, but beadlocks are nice. Traction out there is amazing, i have a detroit in the rear like yourself and wished i had a selectable locker with the tire chirping and the un-locking fun that comes with them.

I have a similar running gear set up as yourself on 35's and have been able to do every trail so far with very little issues. The moab bump is going to be key to getting up a few ledges, dont go hog wild on the skinny peddle. You will figure out quickly what is needed to make it up things.

Luckily there are plenty of shops in town for parts or mechanic work if you break something. The town is set up for wheeling.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Beadlocks are nice but not needed on a radial. I run mine down to 12ish pounds and run them at that pressure all the time, even on the long highway drives of 30+ miles. You won’t need to run single digits, it’s just not necessary.

For me going to Moab, or anywhere west if here, is t about the hardest trails and hardest lines you can. It’s about seeing what is around the corner, over the rise and taking it all in. Sometimes I just drive out and sit and see how many images I can pick out in a formation or wall. It’s about being there and exploring.

OP
OP
stout22

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Its been a long time since I've driven this Bronco 30 miles down a highway! The radials are sounding much better right now.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Its been a long time since I've driven this Bronco 30 miles down a highway! The radials are sounding much better right now.

They would be my pick. I have entertained going to all terrains as well but do enough other things that i'll stick with the MT's

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There will be several of us making the haul from SC also. I can’t wait!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Going from the east to the west the biggest thing that gets your attention is the size, windrock is the closest I’ve been able to experience that gets close and that is still like comparing a nat to an elephant. I’ve driven 40 miles to the trail head, done 50 miles of trail and come out 90 miles from where you started via the highway. It’s hard to wrap your head around 22,000 square miles just in “Moab”, the state of Utah has several times that amount of explorable land. Windrock is 115 square miles.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey 69 Red Bronco, thanks for adding to the story for your first post!
Uh, a Bronco and been here for 7 years now and just saying hey? Where's the pics?;D

Oh, and speaking of pics... Don't nobody go away without posting up some pics for stout22 to take in. The more the better.
Not like anyone needs much convincing of course, and it sounds like you've got 'em on the fence. But pics might just get it done.
Don't even need the "near death experience" pics either this time. Just some good old landscape shots I think will do the trick.

Either that, or your favorite shot of your buddy's at one of the local watering hole after a few too many come-down drinks.%)
I mean, you know it's all part of the experience.

Ooh, I'll play...
IMG_0016 (Large).jpg

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I kind'a want to play again.:cool:;)

07779_23.jpg
72479_07.jpg
72479_13.jpg

See how much fun?
(edit: well rats. That ruined the effect...) :(

Paul

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Paul twisted my arm;D

Attachments

• 8DF76666-272F-436B-B54D-9F3182BED57F.jpg
    8DF76666-272F-436B-B54D-9F3182BED57F.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 1217ACC7-383E-4B9C-95AD-FFE38E5D8787.jpg
    1217ACC7-383E-4B9C-95AD-FFE38E5D8787.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 70
  • D134422C-539A-4C68-9788-1627C104EA06.jpg
    D134422C-539A-4C68-9788-1627C104EA06.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 73
  • AC4975E4-5DD5-40EE-83A1-77244FAB73E6.jpg
    AC4975E4-5DD5-40EE-83A1-77244FAB73E6.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 67

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm glad you could be twisted. Those shots are pretty darn epic!
Hmm, I think that second shot is where Clint Eastwood landed and got picked up by George Kennedy in the Stroppe. Don'tcha think?;)

Paul

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thought about swapping on some 35x12.50R15s I have.

I also am thinking about switching out tires. I usually run BFG reds, but after hearing about the road miles I picked up some used 40" Toyos for this trip. I still need to get wheels for them, but I plan on running them and saving my reds. It was also a good excuse to justify to my wife I needed a set of street tires ;D

OP
OP
stout22

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I also am thinking about switching out tires. I usually run BFG reds, but after hearing about the road miles I picked up some used 40" Toyos for this trip. I still need to get wheels for them, but I plan on running them and saving my reds. It was also a good excuse to justify to my wife I needed a set of street tires ;D

I tried to convince my wife we needed a new truck to make this trip - that didn't work.