• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thinking of getting a plow for the bronco.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
We just got dumped with 3 feet of snow here in Buffalo. My little snowblower will not keep up. Thinking of putting a plow on the bronco just for my driveway.

What is an easy set up? Any recommendations? I've never plowed before. My bronco has about 3 inches of lift on 33's with a 5.0 fuel injected motor and a five speed ZF.

My driveway is about 50 feet long and not very wide. 2-3 passes would have it cleared.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
My recollection of 4x4s used for plowing in the '60s and '70s tells me the front springs will need some help. Ford put air bags in the front coils on EBs that were to used for plowing. They also added a power steering fluid cooler, but your limited plowing job shouldn't need one.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Aren't there smaller, lightweight blades that will would be a better fit?

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Google is not my friend here - anyone have some advice? Realtruck.com appears to have something but there's no 'complete kit' . Would I be better off going to a local place to outfit it?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
There's not much need for snow plows in Tucson. My experience with them was in the '60s and '70s, before I wised up and moved out of Chicago in '79. At least then, a plow had to be strong and heavy to take the abuse.

gnpenning

Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.

While I have seen some use these commercailly It should be fine for your needs. I have had 3 different plows but never had a plow on my EB. Power angle is real nice but you may not want to go to the extra money. My current and favorite is my Boss V plow. Tough to beat, You would need to plow a lot more than what your doing to justify.

Sold a plow like this to a friend. They do their drive with it. If it snows heavy or wind drifts I go plow them out. He uses his winch to raise and lower it.

I have even put my western plow (blade only) in the bucket of my skidsteer and it works surprisingly well. Great for tight spots. Un hook the chain and its off so I can use the bucket.

You can put a plow on anything with the right motavation. We have a Astro van running around here that someone put a plow on. Not sure how durable it is but seen it many times last winter running around.

Attachments

• Photo390.jpg
    Photo390.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Yeah just looking for something quick and easy - nothing heavy duty, basically just a blade and some simple way to lift and lower it.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Contacted two local shops. Will probably get some trax for the bronco while I'm at it :)

Quick & Dirty

Used to be a common sight up here in the 70's-80's, a Bronco with a plow parked behind a gas station or small business for clearing the lot. Sturdy and powerful enough to push the plow, with good maneuverability in a small lot.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Many a bronco died with a plow hanging off the front at relatively low mileages and young age.

Get a bigger snow blower. Sell the old one to someone who doesn't have one.

slim811

Contributor
Heavy Duty front shocks also.

My recollection of 4x4s used for plowing in the '60s and '70s tells me the front springs will need some help. Ford put air bags in the front coils on EBs that were to used for plowing. They also added a power steering fluid cooler, but your limited plowing job shouldn't need one.

My 1971 had a plow maybe even from dealer. First thing I removed. My friend plowed just his property with an EB for years, eventually his front frame finally broke. :( Will post a pic of the shocks on mine later. 2nd owner I purchased from said he put stock power steering on with fluid cooler, but claims he rarely plowed with it. Forgot to mention helps to have a throttle control.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
I remember plowing snow with my Dad in his 68. He always had a Bronco with a plow when I was growing up. He said they were the best plow vehicle, because they were small, durable, and had good power. I guess the old school BFG's helped too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Those are pretty far away bigbird. But thanks for the help.

Here's what I'm dealing with this morning.

325403eeee6ae2ad43c91f2990a4876e.jpg

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Yeah. Got another foot since taking this pic and they are calling for up to 3 more feet today.

Then 60 degrees on Monday so it'll all melt and flood. Great.