• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

thinking of going 5.0 efi... best doner?

bigbri69

Loc.
tomsriver
hey guy bin a while i posted something.anyway my 69 bronco 5.0 is getting tired.got alot of blow by out of pcv,she leaks from every gasket.when i jam the gas its like a cropduster plooming smoke and not to mention makeing a mess of engin bay.so if im gonna swap to a mustang 5.0 i hear the 86/89 5.0 ho motor is what i want.just want some info from u guys.and is the swap easy if i buy a hole car cuz then i have everything whire,computer,etc.thanks

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
hey guy bin a while i posted something.anyway my 69 bronco 5.0 is getting tired.got alot of blow by out of pcv,she leaks from every gasket.when i jam the gas its like a cropduster plooming smoke and not to mention makeing a mess of engin bay.so if im gonna swap to a mustang 5.0 i hear the 86/89 5.0 ho motor is what i want.just want some info from u guys.and is the swap easy if i buy a hole car cuz then i have everything whire,computer,etc.thanks

You have many options, and a few things to consider. Mustangs make great donor vehicles. The best option is an 89 (or newer) mass air donor, however, speed density will work fine if everything is staying stock. The Ford Explorer is another great option, but you want a 96-97 as they do not have the GT40P heads. Those heads can cause header issues. They're fine if your using the stock manifolds.

Some are using the Explorer harness, others using Mustang. If you use the explorer, make sure it doesn't have the PATS system. The cost to convert will run between $500-$1000, and can go as high as $3000 if you buy the higher end parts. I'm going to suggest that you use an in tank fuel pump (modify stock tank) Rework a Mustang harness, and use an A9p or A9l ECU (autozone has remans for $120 or so)

browngr5

Loc.
Eagle, Idaho
The best one is free. Actually it depends on your budget and how you expect it to perform.
You have many options to choose from. Mine is a 5.0 out of a 1987 Lincoln Town Car. It's not the high output MAF motor but it fits under the hood, has plenty of torque and they are inexpensive and easy to find. When this motor dies I may opt for the Explorer, Mustang or T-Bird 5.0 H.O. w/ GT40 heads and matching computer.

OP
OP
bigbri69

bigbri69

Loc.
tomsriver
it seems to be a pretty easy swap from what i read.or will my intake fit most 5.0 motors then i can just find a 5.0 motor sitting around bolt my intake and carb on and call it a day.oyeah will my headers bolt back on or will i need to get new heareds?

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
The best one is free. Actually it depends on your budget and how you expect it to perform.
You have many options to choose from. Mine is a 5.0 out of a 1987 Lincoln Town Car. It's not the high output MAF motor but it fits under the hood, has plenty of torque and they are inexpensive and easy to find. When this motor dies I may opt for the Explorer, Mustang or T-Bird 5.0 H.O. w/ GT40 heads and matching computer.
Only the 93-95 Cobra Mustangs and Lightnings had GT-40 heads if I'm not mistaken.Later Mountaineer and Explorers had GT-40P heads which have different exhaust manifolds. You could do some internet reading and educate yourself more than my paltry info.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Sorry to ask but isn't there a few wiring issues with the 94 - 95 GT's? More modifications or something? I can't remember

OP
OP
bigbri69

bigbri69

Loc.
tomsriver
i been looking at maybe just doing a crate motor.got a mustang place near my house called big daddy performance.he builds some of the fastest mustangs on the east coast from what i hear.i looked at some of his crate motors and got some info on a direction to go.and im
tking it may be the way to go.looking at a 306 all ready to bolt in just reuse my intake and carb. 350 hp the book showed from ford motor spots.you guys know much about the 306 from ford.he says its a real good motor and reliable.thinking its easer for me on time and headache on a used motor.any info please is great.thanks

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Haha -go for it, cut a check and wait for Fedex. You probably don't need any more than a stock 302 with a manual transmission behind it - more hp/tq only equals burning more fuel, broken parts, temperature issues and expense.

350HP from a 302 is as simple as buying some used heads from your local Mustang board and a cam if you really want to get your hands dirty.

OP
OP
bigbri69

bigbri69

Loc.
tomsriver
get out the check book is rite.bin looking at other builders on computer and man thay get some big coin for them.any body recomend any other good builders out there?

Bullitt94

Loc.
Marshfield, WI
Only the 93-95 Cobra Mustangs and Lightnings had GT-40 heads if I'm not mistaken.Later Mountaineer and Explorers had GT-40P heads which have different exhaust manifolds. You could do some internet reading and educate yourself more than my paltry info.

That is correct. They have the GT40 upper and lower intakes, too.

360 4V

Oh I forget ot add that GT-40 intakes are the best. The Lightning intake is a GT-40 intake. The stock 5.8L truck intake has a 90-degree turn in the lower intake and the ports in the lower are very small. This truck intake is infamous. I am doing a port match which will still make for a smaller intake manafold port than the intake ports on my cylinder heads. I am also going to build up the floors of the lower intake at the sharp end with JB weld and open up the other end as I can. I will probably build up the outside up with JB weld as the port ceiling will get thin. It is just a sacraficial junkyard part to me.

bsquared

Contributor
I put in the 96 Exploder 5.0L with the low profile Edelbrock Performer manifold and a Q-jet. (EFI is in the attic for the next build) I also put a 2" body lift for the ZF tranny clearance issues, but I am sure it helped with my hood too.

From what I read on the threads before choosing is the Explorer will have a pulling cam and keep the power band lower than a mustang. Seemed a better choice for 4 wheeling and I like it. The 96 GT40 heads took away all the guess work about headers.

Good luck on the build!