• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Third Member question

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Upgrading my 9” to 4:11 gears. It is a 1969 with factory limited slip. Cleaned and inspected, replaced all the bearings, set the backlash at .013” and have about 15 inch pounds of preload on the input pinion. With all the shims removed the wear pattern is from center to toe of the ring gear teeth on the driven side. Am I doing something wrong? Suggestions? Side note: had to clearance the unfinished edge of the casting in the area of the inner pinion bearing in order to achieve the backlash without having the teeth of the ring gear contact the housing. Thanks!

bax

Contributor
Old Member
there are shims on the pinion support that will move the pinion in or out. You need to get depth of pinion close before messing with the backlash.

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
I get that, however, you have to remove shims to get the pattern in the center of the teeth. I started with .018” shim, the same as it had when I took it apart. The pattern was way down toward the toe of the tooth. I now have all the shims out and the pattern is still not centered, although it is much closer. So unless I'm making some mistake, it's as close as it's gonna get.

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
No you need to add shims to move it away from the toe. Pull ing the pinion out (adding shims) will move the pattern towards the heal (the outside)

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
No you need to add shims to move it away from the toe. Pull ing the pinion out (adding shims) will move the pattern towards the heal (the outside)

The book says the opposite- but I will give it a try next weekend. Gotta go make a livin. Thanks!

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
the pinion is to deep, if you move it forward (towards the transfer case it will move towards the outside of the ring gear) add shims