• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Three on Tree

EODMike

Does any company make a replacement manual column shifter for early Broncos? I would like to keep the column shift for my three speed manual on my 1973. I have been looking at Flaming River and Ididit, but have not found any manual column shift replacement columns. I know I can get all the components to rebuild the original shaft, just wondered if there were tilt shaft options like other styles. Other option is the floor shift conversion.

Thanks,
Mike

KeithKinPhx

My old 3 on thee tree is sitting on the side yard, many others probably do too since the 4R70W is a popular upgrade. Others trannys too make the old steering a dust collector.

Casey835

I ordered one from toms a few years ago and it worked like it was supposed too. Only reason I took it out was too go auto, had absolutely nothing to do with it functioning correctly. I’m afraid I will miss it, kinda already do!

Sorry I just reread it and you said tilt, can’t help you there.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thumper63

Contributor
Loc.
Aptos Ca
3 speed auto or manual?

I recently picked up a 71 with a np435. I too would like to convert to auto column shift. I contemplated returning it back to a 3 on the tree, but like the idea of an auto like I used to have on my first bronco 75, back In the 80's / early 90's. I've since settled on the auto, I only hope it's not a PITA to make it all happen. Any advice would help me as well.

Thanks. Tom

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have never see a tilt shaft for any make of three on the tree shifter. The way the inner shift tube moves in and out as well as rotate would make that a difficult engineering problem. I can imagine a very fussy and delicate hinge considering the steering shaft still has to run through the middle of it all.

OP
OP
EODMike

EODMike

Thanks guys. I am still going to hold out hope that I can rebuild or replace the three on the tree. Broncobowsher, if a tilt option is out of the question that's ok too. I like the originality of the manual column shifter, but I am also not married to the idea of that's how it has to be.