• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thunderbird 5.0 Timing

AussieBronco

So I just finished my EFI conversion out of a 93 thunderbird. I got the engine, harness and computer for $150, good way to go if you want to save some money and if you're ok with not getting all the mustang gear. Anyway I was trying to iron out the bugs on the weekend and I was at wits end trying to work out why I had no power and it was backfiring in the intake. After checking and rechecking the firing order several times, I decided what the hell, and rewired the plugs for the old 302 firing order. It instantly started running like a dream. Has anyone else come across this? It has 5.0 HO across the top of the intake and has orange injectors. I was always under the impression that this engine would have the HO firing order, as did the internet wherever I looked.

Quick question, there seemed to be oil in the bottom of the dizzy when I pulled the cap. Is this really bad or should I just leave it. Like I said it is running like a champ but don't want to break down on the trail!

Also nobody has done a writeup on the thunderbird conversion, should I do one as there were a few things I felt my way through with this conversion?

OP
OP
AussieBronco

AussieBronco

Sure is looking that way. Is there anyway for me to tell by looking at the block/heads?

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
Did you match up plug #1 to the embossed #1 on the dizzy cap? Where the wires are on the cap are important on EFI unlike on a carb.

OP
OP
AussieBronco

AussieBronco

I did make sure the 1 etched into the cap matched up to plug one.

I thought it was a roller. It definitely looks like it is the original engine for all the accessories. Everything was on there, EGR, Smog pump connected up to the back of the heads etc. All the harness was routed with the original clips, etc.

OP
OP
AussieBronco

AussieBronco

Sounds like someone has put a non HO engine in the thunderbird at some stage. Thanks

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There really shouldn't be any way for oil to get up in there. Was the engine turned upside down at some point? I'd clean it out and keep an eye on it later.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
My '87 thunderbird EFI motor is not an HO, yet it has a roller cam and the 15426378 firing order.

When I bump the timing up to 12* BTDC it sure wakes-up that engine, but then I have to run Premiun fuel.

I have to re-set the timing to stock before I smog it here in Cali.