• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tie rod bolt frozen

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I spent some time trying to pull the cotter pin out. It was pretty rusted and did not was to be prior loose. The impact wrench sheared what was left of it off after I got done mangling it.

I am pretty happy about progress, however, the nut I put on to hit the stud through is still stuck. The stud just spins when I try and remove it. I am thinking that I will have to cut it off.

Take a jack and use that to "press" the taper back into the hole. This will hold it enough to get the nut off but will still be loose enough it will come out with a little light hammer tap. You may need to cut if you mushroomed the end of the threads too much.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
If you hit it hard enough on the side, not the thread/stud, it will come out no problem. I have removed hundreds of tie rods/ball joints with this method.

me too. been doing it like this since about 1963 and never had a problem and never needed a pickle fork. name of this thread "several somewhat complicated methods for removing a somewhat complicated tie rod end."

OP
OP
M

mdukti

Thanks for all the advise. All disassembled now. I guess this is part of the reason that I am doing this myself. To learn what to do and what not to do. I think it is pretty awesome that I posted a problem and overnight I had several potential solutions. Thanks again for all the help.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
That's one of the greatest thing about this site, tons of knowledge and good people who are willing to help.

OP
OP
M

mdukti

Heres a picture of everything I took off and all the tools I dragged out to do it (some of which I did not have when I started). I'm pretty pleased with myself now, but I am sure the explatives will be flying again once I try and put it back together. I know I will be back here looking for help. Thanks again.

Attachments

• bronco front end 1937.jpg
    bronco front end 1937.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 27

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
see that hammer right next to the crowbar? that's the one you use to beat the side of the tie bar after you loosen the crown nut. within no more than about 6 to 8 hits w/ that hammer the tie rod will drop.

nice clean Bronco you got there. lookin good.