• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

tie rod F150 vs stock

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did the F150 disc brake conversion on the bronco I am building. I need to purchase new left and right tie rods.

With the F150 conversion you either have to buy the bushings (which I have) or buy the conversion kit from one of the vendors like Wildhorses.

Which one is the better setup?

If I go the stock route then I can buy parts locally, but is there a possibility of it oblonging out the holes with the bushings.

The F150 tie rod will have the be gotten from a vendor, but is it stronger and a better option.

thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A stock F150 tie-rod setup ('70's-ish style) is larger and stronger than a stock EB unit is, but it's too long also. So while you will have the proper tapered ends for your knuckles, you would have to shorten both the tie-rod's long side (driver's) and the draglink too.
And while you're at it, you might as well add an adjuster sleeve to the draglink so you can re-center your steering the correct way when messing with ride-height changes.

That's what I have on mine and love it. BUT, and it's a big but, off-the-shelf stuff just wasn't available back when I did mine either.
If I had to do it again, I might. But I'd be more tempted to run one of the different aftermarket setups.
The simplest, quickest and possibly the cheapest (unless you do your own machining that is) would be a kit like this: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tie_Rod_for_F150_Knuckles_Two_Way_Adjustable from one of the vendors.
It replaces your existing tie-rod with a MUCH larger and stronger centerlink and utilizes adjustable short ends at both sides.
You can re-use your stock tie-rod, or get one of the adjustables I would think. I'll have to verify that last bit, but pretty sure it's a go.

This bar is larger even than the F150 and made of better material.
The only thing you might consider a downside is that it doesn't lengthen the draglink. However, that's also a positive thing, as a stock EB length draglink is a better match for a stock EB length trackbar. Definitely a good thing for killing bumpsteer before it starts.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With the F150 conversion you either have to buy the bushings (which I have) or buy the conversion kit from one of the vendors like Wildhorses.
Which one is the better setup?

Sorry. I should have addressed these distinctly, to better answer your questions.
They both work. The bushings are a great boon, but the conversion tie-rod is beefier than stock and has shorter ends so that replacements are less expensive in the future.

If I go the stock route then I can buy parts locally, but is there a possibility of it oblonging out the holes with the bushings.

I wouldn't think so. Anything is really possible of course, especially with a Bronco! But I have yet to hear of anyone having an issue. You can usually just slip them in as spacers, or even weld them in if you prefer. But so far they seem to be working well.
But the main downside is that the stock stuff is just smaller. Back in the sixties and seventies, the EB stuff was actually considered pretty beefy for the type and size of rig it was on. If you can imagine that nowadays!
So if you're running relatively stock heights and tire sizes and don't intend to off-road much, sticking with stock is a viable option for sure.
But if you have larger tires, lower gearing, a more powerful engine, work it hard, or just get all "enthusiastic" out there, upgrading the actual linkage is a must-do.

The F150 tie rod will have the be gotten from a vendor, but is it stronger and a better option.

Stronger, yes. Definitely. Is it "better" though? I think so, but there are always pros and cons to each modification we make. Up to the individual to decide, based sometimes on what other mods are done, or are in the planning stages.
Such as if you're going to go TRO (tie-rod over) with a big lift and questionable angles, or custom full-width or even just a longer trackbar, the system you use might change. Even GM 1-tons and Spherical Rod Ends ("Heims") have their place in custom situations.

At least the conversion system I described originally can be rotated into a TRO setup without any modification to the steering linkage itself. Because of the three independent pieces to the tie-rod, you simply re-ream the knuckles/steering arms and flip the rod ends only. Leaving the centerlink in it's original position.

Don't know if any of that helped or just added to the confusion, but hey, more info is just dangerous enough to be fun!

Paul

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I ran the stock linkage with the spacers for a while. Didn't have any issues. When I pulled my front axle to do a gear swap and clean and paint it, I upgraded to the WH F150 tie rod kit as my old linkage was worn out. It is BEEFY. I think the center link alone weighed more than the whole stock setup. Looks like the kit uses a custom center link and stock F150 tie rod ends.

If your old linkage is in good shape the spacers should be fine. If it will need replacement anytime soon upgrading for a few bucks more is definitely worthwhile.

I am running the TBP adjustable drag link as I bought the WH pieces separately at different times and didn't really care for the WH adj. drag link so I picked up the TBP drag link. Although I do think the drag link that comes in WH's full 3 way adjustable kit is a different design more like the Tom's link.

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the replies. I have got to buy new tie rods. Can someone verify if the ends on f150 conversion is actually f150 ends. If so those can be purchased locally and that is the route I will go.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I can't verify for sure but just looked them up an NAPA's site. They look the same and the dimensions are what I remember.

Maybe Paul can give a definite.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I can neither confirm or deny the vicious rumors. ;D
And I don't actually know. But I can tell you that at least one of them is definitely not a standard F150 end.

Ford didn't use short rod ends on both sides. There was a long one and a short one. So one of them is a faker. But it beats the heck out of spending 80 to 120 bucks on a replacement long end!
We don't take F150 stuff and shorten them. That's too expensive and not versatile enough for our needs. So we have the centerlinks custom made and then try to use off-the-shelf short rod ends and adjusting sleeves.

There is a very good possibility then, that they are both items you can source through your local auto parts stores. Whether they're actually stocked parts locally, or special order through a local warehouse, would depend on their original application and also on how well-stocked your favorite store is.

Can't find out at the moment, and we usually like to keep sine if this stuff close to the cuff on general principle, but I'll find out if I can and let you know.

Paul

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Both rod ends are the same on the WH kit, not a LH and RH type setup. I believe they are just both the short rod end.[/QUOT

That is what i was thinking. I would buy the complete kit from wildhorses, but was just wanting to know encase I have a problem down the road or they get wornout in several years.;)

thanks for the replies.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok, that makes it simpler. But it's news to me obviously, as I thought they were utilizing lefts and rights. And I'd just helped (well, I pointed) a couple of friends do theirs, and several people fine tune theirs over the phone and on the forum here, and never quite got that memo. Thanks for the clarification 99.

Paul

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I should be out to do some work on my Bronco tomorrow or Thurs and will double check and report back. I just did the install a couple of months ago. I hope the CRS isn't kicking in yet.