• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tie rod replacement

72SPORT TX

Loc.
East Texas
I have to replace my drag link and tie rod ( whole steering ) due to being so bent it is unusable. I was going to use one of the rock/race/trail proof type of set ups but I thought I read somewhere that this is not good for someone building a daily driver. Is this true and if so , why?
Just dont want to be out driving ( esp. with my kids in the eb ) on the hwy. at 60-70 mph and having something go wrong with the steering. Know what I mean.
If this is not an option for a DD what is the best choice to use?
Thanks.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
The rod end style drag link/tie rod setups technically aren't DOT legal. Don't have one so I won't comment on quality. I used BC's tie rod over conversion. It's beefier than stock and puts the lower rod about 2-3" higher than stock to lessen the chances of smacking it again.

U

Unregistered

hey whats up well not to much here i was in the same place you were at one time my tie rods were going out and i just couldnt see buying stock replacements. My bronco is a daily driver but getting built for some hard core tail runs when ever i come back to civilization. lol. I finaly decided to go with bullet proof steering rods. i figured the trail proof would be good enough for what i do.iv had them on for about 2 mouths now and i have no complants at all they do the job very well and look sweet too. Just my addvice on the subject. my thery on every thing is if you have to replace it spend some more money and get somthing thats going to be better look cooler and last longer

Corby

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I installed the stonecrusher steering on my bronco about 6 months ago. Aside from being stronger, the steering is more precise and attaching the drag link to the steering knuckle reduces bump steer and completely eliminated my need for a steering stabilizer. My bronco is a daily driver and I always make sure that safety is the #1 priority. I drive my kids around in my truck all the time and have no concerns about the safety of this setup or using it as a DD.

Here's a pic of my setup:

newsteering2.jpg

Big Nuf

Loc.
Tulsa, OK
I made my own about the same time or before I heard of the stonecrusher set up. I don't know about the quality of the heim joint they use, but I need to replace mine about once a year. My rig see a lot of rocks and trails. Disney, OK is like my back yard. Other than that is handles great on and off road.

For what it's worth

Brewbro21

When I was replacing my tie rod, I asked a few 4X4 shops up here and they said that the heim joints will wear out quicker. They said if all I was going to do was use my rig for trails then they would be fine, but not for a daily driver. So I went with the original setup. However if the guys that have them say they work I don't doubt them either. That's why I don't let other people do the work on my rig, I just get their advice.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Well after reading everyones answer here's my 2 cents worth.
I trashed my standard setup before anyone told me about making your own, so being the frugal type I got together with an old german machinist.
What we ended up with was a duplicate of the factory steering with inch and a quarter chrome moly steel with 3/4 inch aircraft grade heim joints. Never had a problem with the setup. My bronco has to be safety inspected every 2 years (stupid BS Alberta insurance requirement) and I have had no difficulty passing the inspection.
Don't be afraid of Heim joints, they are just as good if not better than tie rods and just as reliable if not more. They use them on airplanes, that has to say something about them.
I have had alignment shops look at this setup and the comments run along the same line - - - " a little overkill dont you think?" or " Massive linkage!! what did you take it off?? a Mack truck?"
I like the crossover steering setup wish I had done it with mine.
Go for the Heim Joints, just as good as tie rods and stronger.
TOFIC