• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

timing

dash8mx

What is the base line timing for a 75 302? I newed to check mine. Thanks

JTCamp

Loc.
Austin, Texas
I would say stock factory would be around 6-8 degrees. But with an older engine things tend to be missing like emissions etc. The best way to time is to use a vacuum gauge and try to get the highest steady vacuum reading without any pinging. You could also use a timing light w/ 12-14 degrees being a good place to start, however make note that sometimes the outer ring of the harmonic balancer may have slipped in old age and the degree reference might be off. Thus if you time it at say 12 degrees w/ a light and balancer marks it might run like it is at say 20 degrees if the balancer has slipped. Just extra info. Good luck.

John

OP
OP
D

dash8mx

I ask cause a few month's ago my distributor was removed to further other maintenance and the marks for the reinstall were not visible when it came time for reinstall.So i put it where i thought it went and i think i was wrong as with a timing light the strobe flashes abd the 12 degree highlight i made is already about an inch past the pointer. So i assume i must put number 1 at tdc and put the distributor back in. i just wanted to know the timing number because everything say's refer to a sticker that probably fell off 20 years ago. Thanks for the help. William in va

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The factory will tell you 6 BTDC with the vacuum disconnected and plugged. If you have the dual diaphram dist then after you hook up the hoses it should read TDC. After you pass smog you will like it a whole lot more at 12 degrees BTDC but if they check it, it will fail the visual test during a smog check.