• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tire width and wheel width

boonie

I never seem to find exactly what I’m looking for in a search. Looking at a set of used 17x8 wheels and wanting to run a
35x12.5r17. I’ve seen a few run a 15x7 with a 35x12.5. But going with a little less sidewall do I need to be concerned with debeading a possibility? Especially if I were to air down.
Thanks much, Jason.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Up to a point the narrower the wheel the tighter the bead is retained even at low pressure. But even at 8 inches wide you are still 4 inches narrower than the official tire with rating, so more than safe to run it in that regard.
Almost nobody uses 7 inch wide wheels anymore, because an 8 to 10 inch wide wheel is more appropriate and now beadlock wheels are pretty common.

But with an 8 inch wheel you’re still gonna run afoul of some tire companies unwillingness to mount a 12 inch wide tire. The tire manufacturers typically recommend 8 1/2 to 10 inch wide wheels for that size tire. And for some tire companies, if it’s not within the recommended spec they won’t mount it.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I've run 35/12.50's with 17x9 wheels on a much heavier truck (3/4 ton diesel) at 15 psi very successfully in some very extreme terrain for a school bus...LOL done a lot of big name extreme trails in Moab with that truck. IMO 12psi is pushing it but 15 is pretty safe.

Paul is right, many tire shops will not mount a 12.50 tire on a wheel narrower than the manufacturer recommends so be mindful of that if you get told no.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I never seem to find exactly what I’m looking for in a search. Looking at a set of used 17x8 wheels and wanting to run a
35x12.5r17. I’ve seen a few run a 15x7 with a 35x12.5. But going with a little less sidewall do I need to be concerned with debeading a possibility? Especially if I were to air down.
Thanks much, Jason.

It can definitely be touch sometimes using the search function

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Around here a used tire store will mount anything, except split bead rims. The big guys are picky about their rules, but the little used guys seem to need the work. You pay & they'll mount & balance it.