• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tires - How old do you run them?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I remember running around Moab several years ago. One obstacle, Kenny's climb. Had a bypass. Driving a bone stock showroom rig with tires fully inflated, drove right up it. Fresh sticky tires grip great. The Jeep that was built 10 years ago, with 10 year old tires, just spun the tires as if they were greased. That is why there is a bypass. For the rigs that have old hard tires. Funny they think they have a power or a gearing problem as they can't get up the rock when lesser rigs drive right up. They just can't understand that the tires that are full tread are the problem.

About 10 years ago at the AZ stampede there was a "barn find" bronco that showed up. Ran a trail. At the end of the night there was a call out for stock sized tires. All 5 tires on the rig blew out on a single trail. They were trying to get enough tires under it just to make it back to camp.

KeithKinPhx

Had a set of BFG All Terrain TA that were 10 years old with less than 10k on them. I was living in Vegas and on a trip to Phoenix the passenger rear literally disintegrated on me. Luckily it was the rear and I heard the tread hitting the wheel well. Only because of that I was able to get her slowed down before she blew. Thank God it was the rear an I heard it before it blew. Changing the tire on the side of I-40 at night is something I never want to repeat again. The truck shook every time a semi went by.

Get new shoes for your lady.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Michelin says 10 years, a few say 8. I personally do 5 years from the date of manufacture, not the date of purchase. Check the manufacture dates on those heavily discounted tires, often they are all ready a few years old. I had an 8 year old spare blow up in the in trunk one time, it will make you change your underwear and think what's you and your families lives are worth. Don't skimp on tires and brakes its just not worth the risk.

McLeod

WHEELS ...chec k the LOAD rating...2 friends towing Broncos with trailers had wheels break as the lake capacity was lower than the weight of the truck... one jackknifed and the other was lucky as he was just entering the exit ramp to the 70mph freeway...

Many guys buy wheels and the LOAD rating is waaay below the loaded capcity

I agree with you, but many here suggest otherwise:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282390

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
I got 5 trailers and after 6 years I change the out if I do long hauling on the interstate discount tire here won’t fix a flat with a Older tire

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Last summer I rolled up to a stoplight and herd a loud "SNAP". Drove another 2 miles to where I was going and found my old BFgoodrich Mud King had separated and the sidewall had a bubble that "snapped".

Tires must be going on 20 years old.

In the process of getting new rims and tires.......

Tim

suckerpunched

A buddy of mine owns a tire shop, he says 7 yrs. His dad did not take that advise and tore a rear fender off of his restored 40' Ford with an old tire that looked perfect.

Aggie_00

Loc.
Houston, Tx
Learned my lesson on old tires the hard way, back in my college days. Bought a '75 Stingray, the tires were about 10 years old, but had almost full tread, and looked good (no crazing or cracking). Driving from Houston to College Station, had a blow out on I-45 in Downtown Houston with virtually no shoulder. Tore up the fiberglass on the rear wheel well pretty good. Managed to get the spare on, and made it another 40 miles or so before the spare blew out on me. Got stuck on the side of the road with 2 flats, no spare, a damaged car, and a harrowing experience under my belt changing that tire with cars going by at 70 mph 6" from me. Tires are cheap when put in those terms.