• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Toggle switch ignition, alternator wiring?

69BroncoNH

Hi,

I've got a unique problem. The vehicle has been stripped of it's original wiring harness and so I'm starting from scratch. I've got the ignition on a toggle switch with the starter on a momentary switch. Lights and everything else are also on toggle switches and relays, there is an voltmeter that works as well. The thing runs fine on the battery, but there is no alternator, so I'm constantly charging the battery - I'd like to fix that. I've a 69 alternator and regulator, but I'm not sure how to wire it up. I've pored over various wiring diagram, but they all tie to back to the ignition switch and alt meter.

Is there a simple way to wire this up so I'm just charging the battery?

Thanks, John

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Yes. A stock ignition switch is just a linked set of switches, so yours are merely UNlinked, but they do the same things as an ig.sw. Find the one that powers the ignition (during running; not cranking), which would be congruous to the "I" output (LG/R) in this stock diagram:

Connect that to the voltage regulator's S terminal. Connect its A terminal to battery power; connect F to the alternator F terminal; be sure to ground the regulator to the alternator case, and be sure the alternator's mounting tabs are clean so they can ground to the block, as shown here:

Also check your battery cable thoroughly:

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
JMO convert to a 3G. No external voltage regulator required and simpler wiring. They are thick in ujerk yards. BC Broncos sight has the wiring instructions. Summit Racing etc. sell pullies to convert to V Belt. Worth while upgrade.

OP
OP

69BroncoNH

Thanks!

So the 12 volts is the "exciter" for the alternator, otherwise it doesn't turn on....correct?

I did think about the 3g route, but I already have the alternator and I'd still need to run the exciter wire.

Thanks to you both!

John