• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

TOMS mini starter hanging up

mnido

I have read some posts about mini starters hanging up and the wiring "fix" to correct it. I am a visual learner and get somewhat confused with the explanation. Can you look at these two photos and tell me if they are correct for the "fix" ? Our could I have a bad starter??

Attachments

• 20151217_074406.jpg
    20151217_074406.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Starter7_192804.jpg
    Starter7_192804.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 196

ransil

Bronco Guru
the 12 gauge stater wire goes to where the big starter wire was.
the big starter wire goes to the battery or the side of the sonenoid that connect to the battery.

the left /right instructions are "girl' instructions turn in your man card. :)

see attached instructions

Attachments

• Ford_High_torque_Starter.pdf
    93.9 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
mnido

mnido

the 12 gauge stater wire goes to where the big starter wire was.
the big starter wire goes to the battery or the side of the sonenoid that connect to the battery.

the left /right instructions are "girl' instructions turn in your man card. :)

see attached instructions

I am a girl. Still don't get it. Nothing on my Bronco is a was. Also just realized my diagram is upside down. I will correct and repost. Maybe someone can look at the drawing when I turn it correctly and tell me if I wired it wrong. Thanks

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
In the upside down drawing it looks like your large 1 gauge wire goes to the wrong large post on the fender mounted solenoid. The other wire between the solenoid & starter is not marked for size in that drawing, but it should be a smaller wire, & should trade locations on the fender mounted solenoid with the large 1 gauge wire.

If you look at the drawing in step 17 of the link that ransil gave you in post 2 it is pretty clear that the 1 gauge wire should go to the same post on the fender solenoid as the positive cable from the battery (Starter Terminal Relay per that drawing). Even though that drawing shows a newer 3 post solenoid, the function of the posts involved should be the same on our older 4 post solenoids. The new style just doesn't have the small "I" terminal, which doesn't come into play for starter operation anyway.

Tom's instructions are here for another look at it.

ransil

Bronco Guru
did you look at the PDF I uploaded??

try this

Attachments

• Starter7_192804.jpg
    Starter7_192804.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 66

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Make sure your battery has a good ground to the sheet metal.

Make sure your solenoid on the fender has a good clean ground through its mounting bolts/screws and that they are tight. I replaced the sheet metal screws with bolts.

Make sure your battery has a large ground cable from the battery to the engine block and that it is clean and tight.

Make sure your starter is bolted to the bell housing and is clean and tight.
Without good clean tight grounds you can have starter issues even if it looks like its hooked up properly.

If you have starter issues Take a small metal hammer and smack the starter housing near the end. If the impact resolves the issue you best start looking for a new starter.

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

I hope this is right !!

Thanks Guys ! I have attached a new drawing. Before I make changes can you see if I have this correct now ?? Thank You All !

Attachments

• 20151218_115040.jpg
    20151218_115040.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 86

ransil

Bronco Guru
No .
that is not good.

The 2 1 gauge wires connect to the same side of the solenoid.
The 12 gauge should be by itself on the solenoid.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Still need a good ground from the battery to the body if you don't have one.

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

No .
that is not good.

The 2 1 gauge wires connect to the same side of the solenoid.
The 12 gauge should be by itself on the solenoid.

Let me try again. I will send another drawing ! Thank you for your patience..

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

Here is another attempt to get this correct. Thank You for your patience with me ! And I have a good ground from frame to body. Thanks'!

Attachments

• 20151218_145905.jpg
    20151218_145905.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 74

El Kabong

Contributor
Almost. Normally on a 4 post solenoid the battery connects on the large post on the left side (Big post near the small "S" terminal). So if you move both large cables to the left side of the solenoid & the 12 gauge wire to the right side, I think you'll have it.

100_0012.jpg

Here is another look. Both your battery cable & the large cable to the starter would connect where it says "To Battery & other existing power connections". Btw, your other power connections should remain on this post too. Like in the pic of the old solenoid above. Your 12 gauge wire to the starter should connect where it says "To Starter".
attachment.php

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

Am I missing something?

Ransil and El Kabong aren't your scenario's using differing sides of the solenoid. Sorry just want to do it right, this time...

Last edited:

El Kabong

Contributor
Yes they are. I have always wired 4 post solenoids the way I have seen Ford do it with the battery connected to the large post near the "S" terminal, & it works that way. Thinking about it, it does seems like it would work the other way too. I have never tried reversing them.

Internally when power is applied to the "S" terminal, contacts close & both large terminals & the small "I" terminal all are connected together. It seems like it must be separate contacts inside for each of the output terminals, otherwise voltage from the coil would backfeed thru the "I" terminal, thru the solenoid, & try to turn the starter anytime there is voltage to the coil. If that thinking is correct, it seems like the solenoid would work with the large posts connected either way. Now you have my curiosity up. Next time I have some time with a solenoid, I will fool around with it & see if that is correct.

But since I haven't actually tried it reversed, I went with what I do know works in my experience.

However you wire it, for a mini starter, be sure that all other wires feeding power elsewhere attach to the same side as the cable from the battery, & the large cable to the starter is on the same side as the battery cable, while the small wire to the starter is connected to the opposite side of the battery cable.

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Hookup the +battery and starter cables together at the large post on the "S" side of the solenoid. Connect the 12g wire to the large post on the "I" side. On starter, 1g starter wire goes to upper 8mm stud. 12g wire goes to 4mm stud.

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

Thanks all.. I followed advice of Viperwolf1 and others..!! It is not hanging up now! If I could only fix the oil pan leak !!!! Thanks!!!

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Hey all,
I'm having a similar problem where the mini starter hangs up for just a bit after cranking. Thanks to this thread I have verified it is wired correctly. What could be other causes for this problem?
Thanks,
Tyler