• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Too Far to Drive It?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Didn’t you say the tires are only three years old? Sitting or not, three years is still young.
Seven years is when the tire companies won’t touch a tire anymore.
1.5 years old when parked 5 years ago. At least that is what I read.
While 6.5 year old tires are not the worst thing in the world, the sitting for 5 years, in AZ, is what bothers me. When the tire has continuous use I feel better. It has been exercised, equal sun exposure, it is kept alive. When they sit, they are not exercised, they get flat spots, some spots get more sun rot. Very often you can just look at the tire and from the crack lines in the rubber you can tell where the tire was clocked while parked.

About 10 years ago at the AZ stampede someone got a Bronco running and brought it out. Nice uncut. One trail run, lost all 4 tires. At the evening raffle there was a call out for any stock sized tires that could be borrowed to get the Bronco back to camp.
Watch the shows of getting an old car running and driving home (roadkill, vice grip garage) and the early shows they go through a lot of tires. The later shows you see them start the trip with a fresh set of tires. They learned.
I've lost a tire at highway speeds in an econoline. Took out a lot of sheetmetal. Seen plenty of damage from tires letting loose at speed.

OP
OP
joebronco73

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
Didn’t you say the tires are only three years old? Sitting or not, three years is still young.
Seven years is when the tire companies won’t touch a tire anymore.
That's correct - at the time of parking it, the tires were pretty new.

When you have nothing better to do for several hours, search out the trip thread posted by NYBronco (I think that was Herman’s username) a few years ago. Pretty epic and made a lot of friends along the way with the forum members.
I'll have to look it up. The prospect of the trip is exciting, but a lot of [current] unknowns are giving me pause...I'd be driving it alone the whole way and would hate to be stranded at an inconvenient hour haha.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That's correct - at the time of parking it, the tires were pretty new.

I'll have to look it up. The prospect of the trip is exciting, but a lot of [current] unknowns are giving me pause...I'd be driving it alone the whole way and would hate to be stranded at an inconvenient hour haha.

just do your due diligence, plan it out, you can make it happen Good luck Don't blame your hesitation tho

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
I would post your proposed route and there are probably a dozen Bronco guys that would be willing to help out if you end up needing help on your trip.
Do it for the experience, not the cost to ship it because you’ll probably spend that in fuel driving the Bronco at 10mpg 😂. Seriously the route idea is great. I’m in the Phoenix area if you need anything. Shoot me a PM and I’ll send you my cell.

nutter3

Drive it. I drove a 1979 F250 2700 miles from Montana to Alaska. I had owned it a couple years, and only driven it a few times while on vacations to MT. I had it serviced, bought a few spares of various things, basic tools, new tires. Made it to AK with virtually no issues.
In 1995 I drove my 73 bronco from MT to Elko NV. About 70 miles into the trip, the bronco wouldn't restart for me. It finally did, just as I was loosing hope it would start. I didn't shut it off the rest of the way.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Plan the trip, get contacts for guys from CB in the states you will be passing thru and route your drive by where they are, try to keep it no more than 4 hours between, Run into issues CB guys will have your back.

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
I would do this. I would post your proposed route and there are probably a dozen Bronco guys that would be willing to help out if you end up needing help on your trip.
This is true. I live 90 miles north of Austin and I'd be glad to give you a hand if you needed it. Need an excuse to drive out west anyway!

OP
OP
joebronco73

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
I really appreciate that, everyone. Still working out which method works best for me (and the expectant wife), but I will definitely reach out, should I work out driving it.

Juiceman

Contributor
I would vote for driving it, but make sure you have a back up plan. AAA, friends, rental car places, etc.. in case you do have a failure. My daughter and I drove her 1997 with 252k on it back and forth from Boston to CO three times and just recently from CO to CA (about a month ago). Took our time, drove the speed limit and enjoyed the trip. If that Heep made it, anything can... 😅 We did have the oil pressure sending unit fair on the trip, but a stop at Autozone, $15 and an adjustable wrench later - problem solved. Lots of points made about the memories of a trip like that and we will never forget them....

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Only 130 posts in 14 yrs doesn't make me think he/she checks the forum often. :)

OP
OP
joebronco73

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
Did you drive it?
Inquiring minds want to know!! :)
I ended up trailering it - it was a good choice, since I received it with electrical issues, bad fuel and desperately in need of some TLC. The silver lining is that my wife was almost as disappointed in the condition it arrived in (due to the storage) and is on board with a new harness, suspension, and even wants to help wrench!