• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Too Far to Drive It?

OP
OP
joebronco73

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
If the electrical system is the #1 thing on your list of things to do once you get it I wouldn’t risk it. Electrical gremlins will pop up at the absolute worst time. And they can be a bear to locate. Everyone is talking about big things that can fail but one bag connector somewhere and you lose your ignition and you could spend a day tracking it down. I say bite the bullet get it and the bike towed out.
While it was a daily for me prior to storing and I'm fairly ok with electrical, it wouldn't be ideal to be tracking a short in the dark on the side of a highway...:oops:

OP
OP
joebronco73

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
Here's my AutoZone / Advanced shopping list for you: Oil, Coolant, Brake Fluid, Fuel Pump, Ignition Coil, Controller, Fuses, Tow Strap, and Mainstream tools. If you want to take it to the next level throw in an Alternator and a Starter. Anything you don't use, which will be most of the items, you can take back on arrival.
Not a bad idea...I hadn't thought about buying back-ups to return if I didn't need them!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I don't get carried away with spare parts or tools. Have on hand the parts that "we are stuck with out this....." and the needed tools for those items. I've found usually a couple of lengths of wire, some connectors, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuses, ductape, and relay if needed. pretty much everything else you can get off the road to some sort of civilization. Its not always about being able to fix it right where you are, but being able to get somewhere to get what you need. I've found I can get by with a small tool bag of tools and a small tool bag with parts. I have put both of those in checked baggage too LOL

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Service it (fluids and check tires/brakes/leaks) and drive it. Small bag of tools, some wire and tape. I have no issues jumping in mine and going cross country. If you used this as a daily driver before, I would be confident in the trip!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The tires would be my biggest worry. AZ is BRUTAL to tires. And having sat so much, they didn't get the exercise they normally would get. So many times I see revived desert cars hit the road. Tires are good for a couple hundred miles and fall apart. If it were garage kept, somewhere besides AZ, the tires may be good.

The rest of it I wouldn't so worried about. Sounds like it is fairly well sorted.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I'll echo the tires concern given where it's been lounging about. Do a basic service on it and go.

I'd tow or carry the m/c for one simple reason. If it all goes to double hockey sticks you have a spare vehicle!

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Here's my advice from experience: Only drive during the day if at any point you will be without cell service, unless you have a follower with a tow dolly. I was driving my '72 from North Ga to Biloxi, MS for training (about 27 years ago, cell phones were just starting to be somewhat widespread and I didn't have one) when I lost a rear axle bearing at about midnight. Parked it at a gas station and called my sister to take me the rest of the way, left a note on it at the gas station stating I'd be back to get it on Friday (currently Tuesday) and when I got back it was gone and the station attendant said somebody picked it up a couple of days before, gave me the number for the station owner, called him, he didn't know anything. The attendant gave me the number for who the owner calls for abandoned vehicles, no answer, so I went to the cops. They kept calling the number for about 2 hours, always busy. The deputy at the police station said he knows where the guy lives, so we went there and there it was, with all my stuff missing out of it, and looked like they were cutting the battery cable to get it out when I got there. And as my buddy and I were loading it on his trailer the guy had the balls to ask "so what was wrong with it, anyway?" Obviously they had started it and likely yard-drove it. Cops asked if I wanted to press charges, but I was just glad to have found it. It was an all-day ordeal.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Here's my advice from experience: Only drive during the day if at any point you will be without cell service, unless you have a follower with a tow dolly. I was driving my '72 from North Ga to Biloxi, MS for training (about 27 years ago, cell phones were just starting to be somewhat widespread and I didn't have one) when I lost a rear axle bearing at about midnight. Parked it at a gas station and called my sister to take me the rest of the way, left a note on it at the gas station stating I'd be back to get it on Friday (currently Tuesday) and when I got back it was gone and the station attendant said somebody picked it up a couple of days before, gave me the number for the station owner, called him, he didn't know anything. The attendant gave me the number for who the owner calls for abandoned vehicles, no answer, so I went to the cops. They kept calling the number for about 2 hours, always busy. The deputy at the police station said he knows where the guy lives, so we went there and there it was, with all my stuff missing out of it, and looked like they were cutting the battery cable to get it out when I got there. And as my buddy and I were loading it on his trailer the guy had the balls to ask "so what was wrong with it, anyway?" Obviously they had started it and likely yard-drove it. Cops asked if I wanted to press charges, but I was just glad to have found it. It was an all-day ordeal.
Now THAT is a story!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Pick up a fuel pump, a basic set of tools, a fuel filter and hit the road. It will be a priceless memory. I regularly drive relics across the country and wouldn’t trade it for anything. The only thing that would make it better is doing it 2 months ago when it was cool😂
I've with the adverturers... DRIVE IT. :)

Suspension isn't an issue if you have poly bushings in. Even the rubber ones aren't going to fall out when driving down the highway.

Basic tools, fuel filter, extra belt, WATER, know what hoses your rad takes or just pick up spares and return them at the local OReilly's in TX.

I would do this. I would post your proposed route and there are probably a dozen Bronco guys that would be willing to help out if you end up needing help on your trip.

AAA

How far is the trip??

Have Fun. You only live once right?? Enjoy the trip. I've driven mine for thousands of miles at a time. Lately I've limited trips to under 300 miles/day but still, load it up and go.

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Now THAT is a story!
I think of it as a lesson... From the time I got back to that gas station in Alabama and saw my Bronco wasn't there, every minute my nuts got closer to my throat. I was literally shaking when I was at that police station trying to find my Bronco. It got worse when someone there said "In Alabama, you don't even have to have a bill of sale to sell a vehicle. You'll probably never see that thing again..." I almost vomited right there.

hucklburry rev2

Its about the same mileage as St Louis to Taos, NM, I do that in 1 day, 1100 miles, in my daily drivers, many trips to see Grandma for the kids.

I'd replace the tires, sounds like the existing have some value for off road? I'd trailer the motorcycle, with the old tires probably, and plan for 2 days, maybe 3. I looked at the direct route you'd drive, looks fun!

Yeah,plan for 3 days, plenty of fuel stops, and run it.

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
Drive it! The adventures and stories that are created are priceless. My Bronco had been down and totally dissembled for 7 years (long story), and I fired it up with fluid changes and general safety check, tightened the last bolt and went across the country putting 8,000 miles on it that summer while towing an M416 military trailer. Only two breakdowns, had a rear wheel bearing go out about a 150 miles from home which I fixed in a driveway at my parents business. The other was I learned that even with a new wiring harness, H4 headlights need a relay (they would occasionally shut off at night), the fix was putting in some old sealed beams headlights till I got home. Long story is, you will have a journey to remember.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When the switch gets old, that can even happen with old stock lights occasionally.
But you’re right, it’s usually the brighter, aftermarket lights that do it.

One quick trick is to pop the hood and unplug one headlamp.
Lessens the load by half on the switch.

OP
OP
joebronco73

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
Whoa. That's amazing to have gotten it back...I can only imagine the thoughts going through my head if that happened to me and I was asked that final question 🤯

OP
OP
joebronco73

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
Drive it! The adventures and stories that are created are priceless. My Bronco had been down and totally dissembled for 7 years (long story), and I fired it up with fluid changes and general safety check, tightened the last bolt and went across the country putting 8,000 miles on it that summer while towing an M416 military trailer. Only two breakdowns, had a rear wheel bearing go out about a 150 miles from home which I fixed in a driveway at my parents business. The other was I learned that even with a new wiring harness, H4 headlights need a relay (they would occasionally shut off at night), the fix was putting in some old sealed beams headlights till I got home. Long story is, you will have a journey to remember.
Luckily, one of the updates I did before officially making it a "daily" was installing the WH headlights kit, with the relay harness. At this point, after hearing the good input, my biggest concern is the electrical and the tires. Going to do a facetime call/review to check on them, but may need to trailer it, if the tires are shot 😬

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Didn’t you say the tires are only three years old? Sitting or not, three years is still young.
Seven years is when the tire companies won’t touch a tire anymore.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When you have nothing better to do for several hours, search out the trip thread posted by NYBronco (I think that was Herman’s username) a few years ago. Pretty epic and made a lot of friends along the way with the forum members.